Menu

Beginning Reading Material?

CatWise

I'm working through OPGTR w my 4.5 year old, he's blending simple words well and we're just beginning consonant blends.  How do I find easy readers he'll be able to sound out?  The "beginning readers" at the library include LOTS more sight words and trickier words than we've tackled yet.  We have some Bob Books but because I use them as practice for school, I haven't left them out for him to read independently.  Should I not use them for "school" and leave them out for him to pick up on his own, or are there other super simple books he might be able to read on his own?  He LOVES books and is always flipping through them on his own time, I'd just love to add to the mix books he'd actually be able to read somewhat successfully.  Or maybe it's just too early for him to read on his own and I should just be patient?  :)  I'm new at this!  :)

1. I am sam books - some are free online

2. Nora gaydos books

3. Preschool prep books

Does it have to be a book? If not:

1. Progressive phonics - online free

2. Reading pathways - I like this one.

3. There's a book titled I can read now! I can't remember who the author is. Will try to come back and let you know. Your child may have to do a few more lessons for this book.

Hth

Progressive Phonics also has free readers online. We enjoy those, they have funny, rhymey stories and, not surprisingly, progress phonically.

There is a really cute series at our library with titles like Cab Crab.

Outside of that, I comb through the library's easy readers for books that match where we are phonically.

Don't worry about leaving out "school" books. The more familiar he is, the better - unless he doesn't want to read things he has already "read".

My 5 and 3 year old boys are both progressing through OPGTTR (I can't remember lesson #'s but one is now learning "o" sounds like claw, pause, all, squall, etc and the other is just learning ch, sh, th sounds.) They each read their readers to me (3 year old prefers BOB books, 5 year old never liked them but now reads Elephant and Piggie and other more "fun" books). We have "rest time" where they lay on the floor or couch and look at whatever books they want, but neither is reading independently during that time. My 3 year old will kind of pretend to, but he's going fast and making lots of mistakes (usually because it is a book much beyond his testing level) but he won't accept any instruction during this time so I just let him "play." That's just our experience though, not how you must do it of course ;)

I've had some luck with the I Can Read series' earliest levels with my emerging readers. We read together and I sound out the words with phonics rules we haven't covered yet. That strategy can work with any book, but the My First I Can Read and I Can Read level 1 books seem to have a higher frequency of words he can read on his own.