Menu

DD7 has trouble distinguishing sounds p, d, and t at the end of words

When we are working on spelling if I give her any word that has a p,d or t at the end she usually gets the sound wrong.  For example if the word is map, she will do fine sounding out /m/ /a/, but when she gets to the final sound she will say /t/.  I've only noticed it with these 3 sounds.  The curriculum we are using teaches spelling and reading together.  We haven't gotten /b/ yet but I'm certain she will start confusing that as well.  At this point is it something to worry about?  She is just beginning to learn to read.  I waited until now because her older brothers struggled with learning to read and I thought if I waited until she was a little older it might make it easier on her.

The Lindamood-Bell LiPS program is great for this kind of stuff. They have categories for all the sounds - for example, I believe that "p" and "b" are "lip poppers" because of the way your mouth moves. "T" is a "tongue tapper" because of the way your tongue taps the roof of your mouth.

If you teach LiPS along with regular phonics, your daughter will see a 't' and remember that her tongue has to tap the roof of her mouth. It won't come out as 'p' because 'p' is a "lip popper."

Pretty neat, huh? I love LiPS!

Can she repeat the words correctly?  

If so -- you can also practice with a mirror sometimes, and with looking at your mouth, to see how the mouth looks differently between p and d/t.  

In a mirror (this is as I recall!!!!! could be fuzzy) b/p and d/t will look the same.  

To tell apart d/t, you can put your hand low down on your throat.  You feel something for d, you don't feel anything for t.  

To tell apart b/p, you can hold your finger a little ways in front of your mouth like a candle (not too close or you feel the air for both sounds).  B does not feel air, p does feel air.  

G/d was actually the very most difficult for my son, and I asked about this just recently and a speech therapist told me this is also a common two sounds to have trouble with for a lot of kids.  You will feel something when touching your throat for both sounds, but the tongue placement is different.  

You can also, when practicing, say the words maP and make the p sound louder.  Then as that is easy, make it a little quieter over time.  

But overall I think you want to practice telling the words apart, and giving her a chance to notice how they are different.  So -- "maP" "maT" and maybe spend a minute doing things where you have both words written, you say one, she points to the word you said (or with two picture cards instead of the written word).  Or, you have spelling tiles (or letters written on index cards) and you have the letters m a p t available, and sometimes you say "map" and want her to spell it, sometimes you say "mat" and want her to spell it.  You might add d, or you might go back and practice with m a d t first, because that will be easier, and you can go from easier to harder.  Or things like this.  

I think this is still okay for someone in K/1st grade, there are activities to work on things like this in phonemic awareness materials that are written for K/1st grade.  

They are lower intensity compared to Lips.  If it seems like these lower-intensity things (or looking through phonemic awareness ideas that might be in the library or a $15 book) do not help much, it is time to look at higher intensity things like Lips.  As in -- actually buying Lips.  Or, if speech therapy is an option, maybe speech therapy.

My son went to speech therapy partly for this kind of thing, but he also was having a lot of trouble with his articulation.  

I think at this point, it is something to try to work on, but not worry about.  If you see that after a month or two (or even two weeks if there is just no progress at all or seems to be a huge amount of confusion) then I think it is time to think about a more intense way to work on it, which could mean Lips or some other options (I am not SO familiar, since my son did speech therapy).  

Good luck!!!!!!!!!