Menu

Multiple kids history question--if you use SOTW for youngers...

TOG & similar will have them reading different books on the same topics. They can be handy for staying on pretty much the exact same topic without making your own plans and reading lists. 

I'm fine with just being on the same rough topic and/or time period, and I tweak too much to make set plans worth it. 

We used SOTW through two cycles as a spine, just for simplicity's sake. It was easy enough to add in more difficult reading and assignments as needed (I only have 2 kids, though). 

When they were 7th and 9th, we switched our spine to The Humanistic Tradition, an interdisciplinary humanities survey. I like that it is very complete - history, society, music, art, literature. For literature, we can just read the excerpts within the book, or choose to read the entire work. For art, we can make a trip to the museum, or we can satisfy ourselves with the reproductions in the book, and so on.

We did give History of the Ancient World a try, but found that it was time-consuming and an overabundance of material. For me, it is much harder to subtract from this book than add to Humanistic Traditions; it would take a tremendous amount of time and planning on my part. And I do think you would have to subtract if you want to complete the four-year cycle - these books are pretty massive. Plus, it's still a work in progress, and HT is complete and will carry us through high school. 

HT is expensive new but readily available used for $10 or so per book. I own the CDs but actually find it easier to just google the included music title rather than hunting down the CD. 

The biggest potential con of HT is that it is college level and has challenging syntax and vocabulary, so even strong student may not be able to read it on their own. We do history together regardless, so that's workable for me. Doing it together keeps me up to speed, we get our discussions done right then and there,  and the kids are more likely to speak up if there is a certain topic they wish to pursue further.