Menu

AP Economics questions

Sailor Dude is wrapping up his AP Macroeconomics course from Pennsylvania Homeschoolers and he really likes the material. He would like to continue on in AP Microeconomics and self-study. I have found some older threads on doing just that including Kathy in Richmond's schedule and resources.

I have a couple of questions.

First, do I award 0.5 credits for each section?

Next, is this the correct way to show this on his transcript?

AP Macroeconomics (PAHS transcript)

Microeconomics with AP exam

Last, we have a text that he is currently using and could continue to do so for Microeconomics, but I am thinking of using the text Kathy recommended by McConnell and Brue because there is a study guide that goes with it and Kathy has generously supplied a schedule. The 16th editions are cheap, but are from 2004. The newer edition is listed in the list of resources on the College Board. Would this be problematic? Do I need a more recent text? I have no idea if these test have been rewritten since 2004 and if things have changed dramatically.

Sailor Dude is wrapping up his AP Macroeconomics course from Pennsylvania Homeschoolers and he really likes the material. He would like to continue on in AP Microeconomics and self-study. I have found some older threads on doing just that including Kathy in Richmond's schedule and resources.

I have a couple of questions.

First, do I award 0.5 credits for each section?

Next, is this the correct way to show this on his transcript?

AP Macroeconomics (PAHS transcript)

Microeconomics with AP exam

Last, we have a text that he is currently using and could continue to do so for Microeconomics, but I am thinking of using the text Kathy recommended by McConnell and Brue because there is a study guide that goes with it and Kathy has generously supplied a schedule. The 16th editions are cheap, but are from 2004. The newer edition is listed in the list of resources on the College Board. Would this be problematic? Do I need a more recent text? I have no idea if these test have been rewritten since 2004 and if things have changed dramatically.

Hi Lisa! Yes, I awarded 1/2 credit to my kids for Microeconomics, and I worded my transcripts exactly as in your examples.

We last did this course in preparation for the 2010 AP exam, and all was fine then with my materials. I looked online just now & can't find any evidence that this test has been revised in the interim. Maybe someone with recent experience can verify that. I'm guessing it's one of those texts that gets a new edition quite often so that the publisher can sell more copies to the schools...

I used the 16th edition with my daughter a couple of years ago, and it was fine.  The examples might have been updated in a more recent edition, but basic economics is basic economics--not much has changed since I used an ever-so-slightly older version of the same text in my own Economics 101 class.

Oooh, I just remembered something:  my daughter who used the 16th edition also did a one- or two-day supplement on game theory.  It was something I pulled off of the internet from a real AP teacher's website, and I had her pay particular attention to that section in a review book.  I don't remember if it was on the exam or not, though.  

My dd took the PAH Macro class and then self-studied for micro.  I gave her 1 full credit for macro, due to the fact that with the time spent on the games, this class required more work than a typical 0.5 credit class, and the course does continue through the end of April as the final exam is much later than the end of the course work, Dr. Richman is available to answer questions during the spring, and he holds a review the night before the class.  Think of it this way:  all of your son's classmates who did not self-study for micro are likely counting the course as 1 credit, so your son should not be penalized for self-studying for micro.  I also gave an additional .5 credit for micro.  I explained the scope of both courses in my dd's course descriptions, along with the 5's she scored on both tests.  No college questioned her transcript at all. 

My dd started out studying micro with Thinkwell, but ended up using her macro book (which at that timed was actually a combined micro and macro book) and studying the chapters/topics that Dr. Richman recommended be covered by those self-studying for micro.  The thing that she found most useful was going through the micro topics and then spending a lot of time doing FRQ's from past exams, doing released exams mc questions and using 5 steps to a 5 book of 500 m/c questions to get more practice on the mc, since only a few prior exam's questions are available.  I would recommend keeping it simple at this point and focus on learning the topics and practicing real questions rather than going through a workbook related to a specific text.  My dd placed out of a 1 semester econ 101 course at Chapel Hill and had no problem going directly into full semester 400-level, math/Calculus heavy Intermediate Macro and Micro courses--really at that level the math/calc background is the most important element of Econ, so don't worry that you are short-changing your ds by doing a directed study of micro with the intent on doing what needs to be done to score a 5.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Lisa! Yes, I awarded 1/2 credit to my kids for Microeconomics, and I worded my transcripts exactly as in your examples.

We last did this course in preparation for the 2010 AP exam, and all was fine then with my materials. I looked online just now & can't find any evidence that this test has been revised in the interim. Maybe someone with recent experience can verify that. I'm guessing it's one of those texts that gets a new edition quite often so that the publisher can sell more copies to the schools...

Kathy, I now have McConnell/Brue materials and think I will probably keep them for basic reference for myself when ds is done with them.  Your pacing (perfect for us) was similar to one of the sample syllabi on the College Board. I submitted it as an "identical syllabus" and was approved.  The Microeconomics syllabi are so short, I figured it was worth retyping in order to get official sanction for transcripts. I've decided we'll only label things AP if he actually takes the test.

I am doing this along side. It's been 20 years since I've done any economics and it's a subject I have always enjoyed.

Kathy, I now have McConnell/Brue materials and think I will probably keep them for basic reference for myself when ds is done with them.  Your pacing (perfect for us) was similar to one of the sample syllabi on the College Board. I submitted it as an "identical syllabus" and was approved.  The Microeconomics syllabi are so short, I figured it was worth retyping in order to get official sanction for transcripts. I've decided we'll only label things AP if he actually takes the test.

I am doing this along side. It's been 20 years since I've done any economics and it's a subject I have always enjoyed.

Lisa, I'm glad to hear that your syllabus was approved! I've also saved the text & materials in hopes of getting through them myself someday...(the kids did this on their own except for my scheduling help). Hope SailorDude enjoys the class!

Oooh, I just remembered something:  my daughter who used the 16th edition also did a one- or two-day supplement on game theory.  It was something I pulled off of the internet from a real AP teacher's website, and I had her pay particular attention to that section in a review book.  I don't remember if it was on the exam or not, though.  

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Do you happen to have a link for this? There is an article in the NYT about game theory and the Super Bowl. I think I'll hold on to it as an example of practical application. I'd love to do the TC's lectures on the topic, but am not sure we have time.

My dd took the PAH Macro class and then self-studied for micro.  I gave her 1 full credit for macro, due to the fact that with the time spent on the games, this class required more work than a typical 0.5 credit class, and the course does continue through the end of April as the final exam is much later than the end of the course work, Dr. Richman is available to answer questions during the spring, and he holds a review the night before the class.  Think of it this way:  all of your son's classmates who did not self-study for micro are likely counting the course as 1 credit, so your son should not be penalized for self-studying for micro.  I also gave an additional .5 credit for micro.  I explained the scope of both courses in my dd's course descriptions, along with the 5's she scored on both tests.  No college questioned her transcript at all. 

My dd started out studying micro with Thinkwell, but ended up using her macro book (which at that timed was actually a combined micro and macro book) and studying the chapters/topics that Dr. Richman recommended be covered by those self-studying for micro.  The thing that she found most useful was going through the micro topics and then spending a lot of time doing FRQ's from past exams, doing released exams mc questions and using 5 steps to a 5 book of 500 m/c questions to get more practice on the mc, since only a few prior exam's questions are available.  I would recommend keeping it simple at this point and focus on learning the topics and practicing real questions rather than going through a workbook related to a specific text.  My dd placed out of a 1 semester econ 101 course at Chapel Hill and had no problem going directly into full semester 400-level, math/Calculus heavy Intermediate Macro and Micro courses--really at that level the math/calc background is the most important element of Econ, so don't worry that you are short-changing your ds by doing a directed study of micro with the intent on doing what needs to be done to score a 5.

Nancy, thank you. This is very helpful. Dr. Richman just mailed out what he expects the kids to do and I can see where it makes sense to award one full credit. It's also a very good idea to work on my course descriptions now, while the scope for both classes is fresh in my mind.

Is your  dd an economics major?  I think that is where ds is leaning towards.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Do you happen to have a link for this? There is an article in the NYT about game theory and the Super Bowl. I think I'll hold on to it as an example of practical application. I'd love to do the TC's lectures on the topic, but am not sure we have time.

I do not have it any more, but I am sure I just googled "game theory and ap economics."  I don't even remember how I knew it was a "thing."  One of the review books had a nice explanation as well.  We only spent a day or two on it, as I recall.  

This pdf from the AP Microeconomics teacher's area of the CB site offers a mini lesson in game theory on pp 21-29. It's written to the teacher, not the student, & has some introductory material and the typical "prisoner's dilemma" example, along with 2 problem sets and solutions. It looks like it would be a fun 3 (or so) day unit!

Following with interest as we may do this next year, but I wanted to mention one resource.

We really enjoyed the Great Courses DVD Game Theory class. Our library had it, so it was a free resource.

We also enjoyed the book Gaming the Vote. If anyone happens to be doing gov't at the same, it might be a nice supplement.

Yes, my dd is an economics major.....however, her passion lies in the area of environmental studies and statistics.  She has found that although she is really good in economics and only has a few more required courses to complete the major, she enjoys studying real-world problems rather than theoretical models.  Also, as it turns out, she doesn't care for macro-economics at all, despite loving Dr. Richman's class.  She fell in love with econometrics and would problably be double-majoring with statistics, except that her school does not have a pure statistics major as it is combined with operations research (which she has no interest in).  She's planning on minoring in Stats, taking 2 semesters of stats classes plus a course in calculus-based probability in the stats department plus linear algebra so that she will leave the door open for environmental statistics in grad school or to strengthen a grad school application to a masters of environmental management program.  She also has a minor in environmental studies and will probably end up having far more environmental studies credits than economics.  She has serious health issues that make it almost impossible to be in a lab environment, so completing all of the science requirements for a major is out of the question.

The thing about economics is that to leave the door open for a phd program in economics, you pretty much have to also complete a math major to be competitive.  Of course, economics majors are also successful in finding finance/banking jobs.  Also, students who love economics but can't stand the math also are very successful in public policy phd programs and law school admissions.

This pdf from the AP Microeconomics teacher's area of the CB site offers a mini lesson in game theory on pp 21-29. It's written to the teacher, not the student, & has some introductory material and the typical "prisoner's dilemma" example, along with 2 problem sets and solutions. It looks like it would be a fun 3 (or so) day unit!

Thanks, Kathy!

I have time scheduled for my work this weekend and will have a chance to go over the pdf. You'd think by now I'd remember they are there. Even though ds is self-studying, I would like the experience to be a bit more than cozying up to the text.