Menu

Lecture-Based World History Survey

What curriculum options are available for World History that are primarily lecture based?  We are using a TTC series with the Funda Funda syllabus for U.S. History this year, and DS wants something similar for World next year.  I've looked at the available TTC series' and none appear to be comprehensive enough for a World History Overview.  Are there other options that rely more on lectures than texts?   

I would look for open course ware along the lines of world history. The problem is that many of those that come out of universities are often specialized such as "World History from 1300." John Green has 40 short lectures in his Crash Course, but all you get are lectures. If you want someone else to come up with assignments, you are out of luck.

Eduction Portal offers lessons for World History for high school. You may want to take a look at that.

John Green has 40 short lectures in his Crash Course, but all you get are lectures. If you want someone else to come up with assignments, you are out of luck.

We tried using crash course world history as a supplement this fall. He talks way too fast, leaving no chance to learn and think. We were getting far less out of than I expected.

Jeremy Adelman's Coursera class covers world history from 1300 to the present.  If you buy (an older version of) the textbook recommended for the course, you have study questions in the textbook.  With some additional reading and writing, this class is comprehensive and certainly credit-worthy, without too much prep on your part.  It does just cover the last ~800 years, though.

https://www.coursera.org/course/wh1300

I did Adelman's class when it was offered last year. It's really good. He's an engaging teacher and the material was fascinating. I'd studied European history and American history and a brief overview of Asian history, but I hadn't pulled them together until this class. It's only a semester, so you could start with a semester of ancient and medieval history first and then do this.

These look great!  Thanks.  Of those listed, I have a feeling that DS would prefer the Annenberg lectures as they seem to have a similar feeling to TTC.  The syllabus also gives great jumping off points for essays.  I can tell just by watching the Education Portal lectures that those would not go over well.  He prefers what most would consider dry and boring with no bells or whistles.  :cool:  Those E.P. lectures look way too flashy for his taste.  As for Coursera, I usually love them, but I feel like I can't really count on them for classes because most of them occur so infrequently.  There's also rarely a projected date available for those that aren't scheduled in the immediate future. 

There's a free course on Annenberg:

http://www.learner.org/resources/series58.html

I think you'll have to add your own assignments, but it's a start.

One of my sons used this for Western Civ. (not for "history").  I like the Annenberg offerings.  I dusted off my Spanish using their "Destinos" telenovela.  (laughing all the way through at the contrived storyline)