Menu

School Composition and Writing in English

Ds12 is struggling with WWS2. He is doing Lesson 13 now. Ds10 is finishing up W&R Book 4.

I have Jump In! and Lively Art of Writing. I also heard good things about the google books School Composition and Writing in English. I would like some ideas what each ds should use and how long each approach will take. I am not good at teaching writing and really use some help. Thank you!!!

Not sure this specific enough to help, but after burning through far too many books, curricula, and approaches, I have been using Maxwell's School Composition with my 7th grader, a reluctant though decent writer. After about a month with SC, I can say it is a huge success here. She is finally writing and not hating it, and her fluency and voice are really developing.

The models are beautiful, the lessons are short, sweet, and to the point, and the exercises are relevant, specific, easy to understand, with enough freedom to allow the writer to shine through but enough direction to make her feel she has something she wants to...and can...say.

https://archive.org/details/schoolcompositi00johngoog

It's very dated, but imo truly an oldie-goodie. Public domain, so you can download for free at this web site or buy a reprinted copy if you decide you want it in paper. We used it on the ipad for a few weeks and then ordered a much nicer hard copy when we liked it so well.

You'll find a few discussions of this book and his Writing in English if you search the forums.

• 3 weeks later...

https://archive.org/details/schoolcompositi00johngoog

It's very dated, but imo truly an oldie-goodie. Public domain, so you can download for free at this web site or buy a reprinted copy if you decide you want it in paper. We used it on the ipad for a few weeks and then ordered a much nicer hard copy when we liked it so well.

You'll find a few discussions of this book and his Writing in English if you search the forums.

Where did you buy your hard copy? Thanks!

We have loved SC and WIE. My dd's writing has blossomed, and she enjoys the lessons. In my opinion, these books provide the "classical" approach to writing without all the fuss and bother and ridiculous overcomplication of modern "classical" homeschool writing curricula. I honestly can't imagine why someone would buy an expensive curriculum with 57 parts when you have everything you need for free (or cheap for printed) with these books.

Coming in way late here, but I really don't see why you're jumping.  You've probably just hit a limit on his maturity and what he's ready for with WWS2.  Take a break, go do some creative stuff or blogging or something pleasure-driven for a while, then come back and finish WWS2.  There's nothing wrong with WWS2 and it's very well structured.  My dd did WWS1 for 8th, WWS2 for 9th.  I think a lot of kids are just YOUNG and not ready.  It's a very cerebral approach to turn out writers who can think in terms of toolbox rather than formulas.