Menu

Hidden Costs of College

sassenach

Where has this happened? It's a new one for me! I'd like to know more.

I know about scholarships and needing to keep a GPA to keep the scholarship, but this doesn't sound like the same thing.

Mercer in GA does this. It isn't tied to GPA. But it isn't unknown, either, if you actually read the offer. Many people don't read everything.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to take so long to respond, I don't get email notifications of replies.

This was discussed thoroughly in the book,

College Unbound: The Future of Higher Education and What It Means for Students

I don't know how it plays out IRL, though. Do they not disclose this to the students and parents? Is it a verbal thing? When I was in college, I got a letter stating exactly how much my scholarship was and for how many years. So with this tuition discounting, who knows?

• 2 weeks later...

Snow shovel! :D If you student is attending Michigan Tech, it's on the suggested packing list. The students often go to local homes and shovel for the elderly.

On this note, an orange flag that can be folded and put into backpack. I went to Northern MI and was glad my dad put this item in my bag. I fell in to a 15 ft snow drift and the orangle flag was all that anyone could see

Sorority/Fraternity pledge fees and dues

If they are joining, they will also need money for gifts for Bigs and Littles, dresses for special events, specific t-shirts for rush, various letters, pins.....

My oldest is at a local state school so the general school fees aren't too bad. We don't see a lot of the extras that have been mentioned.  She does live on campus but in an apartment so we have some costs attached to that but food is cheaper than in the dorms (as long as she resists eating out every night).