Menu

DD's sweet 16 birthday party - need ideas!

sheryl

DD turns 16 in a few months. I know there have been threads on this topic, but I'm starting afresh.

She originally wanted a "garden" theme party.  It sounds fine, but I think it would be hard to pull off and think most of her friends wouldn't like it.  But, it's dd's opinion that matters.  OTOH, I don't want her to be humiliated (unintentionally) by her friends who may think the theme is blah.

I'm calling our church to find out if we can hold the party at the church.  They recently allowed another girl to have her sweet 16 there, to which my dd was invited, so I'm thinking they may allow this for us.  Otherwise, where would we have it?  Restaurant - but then there would be limitations.

Is a theme necessary?

DD said she'd like pink and green to be her color theme for her spring birthday.  I may "borrow" (ha) an idea from the other girl's party.  Her Mom offered tons of "sweets" for her dd's sweet 16 party.  Cute.  So, I could buy several cheap bowls and put different sweets in the bowls.  Maybe pay a professional for the cake, if not too expensive.  Maybe cater some food.  But, I've not catered before and wouldn't even know what to select let alone know if we can afford this for a small, intimate party size of approx.  25. 

Do I buy all of the table cloths, paper products, etc?  If so, I better start that list.

Please offer suggestions.  I thought vintage, but how do you decorate for that?  She likes that style.  Maybe it's too much.  Just invite people, hopefully  church will agree.  Add a few vases of flowers.  Have food of some sorts. 

Then my mind rambled to asking one of our music guys to be a "dj". 

This is not flowing well.  And, it's looking very expensive.

HELP!

Garden party theme and vintage would fit nicely together with a tea party.Look for real China cups with floral patterns--they can often be found for very little cost at thrift stores--and they could be a take-home gift for guests. Very vintage. Sweets fit well with tea party theme, and some finger sandwiches and salads wouldn't cost much.

My daughter and a friend are having a party together next week.   It's pretty low-key and there's really no theme.... it's being held in the friend's church fellowship hall.  The girls chose silver, black and fuchsia as their colors, and are making a "happy birthday" banner with those colors (found a cardstock pad that was perfect).  The two moms are making foods the girls like for dinner.  They are going to have a candy bar - small bowls of candies - and brownie sundaes for dessert.  They're putting together a playlist for music on my daughter's kindle, and (this is the only part I am not really happy with) there will be a slide show of their lives.  This was something the other mom really wants so I'm going along with it.  Ours will be short.  :-)

Mostly they plan to hang out; they'll have a few games such as Apples to Apples on hand if people want to; maybe there will be some dancing.  It is a mixed group, heavy on the girls. 

It would be fun to have spring in the winter. I would use bold, bright, colors. The dollar store is your friend. She can make paper flowers or buy some. You could make a dirt trifle with worms. or cupcakes with gummy worms and flowers. Bright colored helium balloons are a dollar a piece here They make a great large centerpiece with 4 or 5 balloons. To fit that theme make fruit kabobs. I'm rambling but starting to see it come together. She's old enough to plan this. Of course I would/did have the piano and guitars or some music ready to go and pass out song sheets for every 'She's 16' song I could find. Well maybe just a couple of the best.  Have fun!

Using Google images, look up "vintage sweet sixteen party". It looked like there were some cute ideas that could be adapted to a reasonable budget.

Other search ideas: "country chic" or "rustic" party ideas

Here's a few suggestions:

FOOD

With a mixed group, I'd serve sandwiches, chips, and soda. Perhaps add a fruit tray and vegetable tray for the more healthy eaters. You could order an assortment of submarine sandwiches from a local provider.

PAPER AND PLASTICWARE

I like Oriental Trading for themed paper products. You can always purchase solid color plates and napkins from your local party supply or big box store. Buy regular plasticware

DECORATIONS

If you have white Christmas lights, combine with them with a few rolls of tulle to drape in big swags across the tops of the walls.

Oriental Trading has paper lanterns which you could hang from the ceiling.

For centerpieces, your dd could make tissue paper flowers with floral wire and floral tape. Use claypots to hold them. If your dd is feeling super crafty, she could decorate the pots with paint.

ENTRANCE ACTIVITY

Do a photo booth with "vintage" props. Hang up a white sheet and use streamers to decorate. Use hats, boas, sunglasses, the ever popular mustache on a stick, etc. If a friend has an instant print camera (search for Polaroids on Amazon) or your Dd wants one has a present, use it to take a photo and have someone write down the people's names. Drape white string near the entrance and clip the photos up using clothes pins. It's a fun activity and a good conversation starter. Plus, your dd will have mementos right away.

MUSIC

Borrow a sound system or boom box. Use a digital music player to make a mix. Songs from every year of her life or popular music. If it's a dance party, add in several songs that people will want to dance to.

GAMES

I'm not a big fan of games, but if your dd wants them, select two or three that would do well for boys and girls alike. If the party is hopping, I'd stay away from them.

We did a "sweets" party for oldest DD's 16th birthday.  She and her friend made "play lists" for the music and we spent about 3 days before making different kinds of candy and little treats.  Favorite activity was the unfrosted cupcakes (two flavors) that the kids could decorate themselves with frosting, sprinkles and candy.  There was also a dvd trivia game that they played in the living room for a while.

OK, I'm grateful for all of the ideas.  I think I see this coming together.  We'll use pinks/greens and I love the Vintage Fabric and Lace Garland / Shabby Chic / Photo Booth Background / Window that I've seen at Ebay and other places.  That will be used for décor and practically used as the backdrop for the photo booth, maybe.  Lots to do.   THANKS! 

You can make a lot of decorations with pretty scrapbook paper. You can make banners (either Happy Birthday or her name), or pennants to hang from the tables. I've also cut them into narrow strips and then sewed them together to make a garland. I hung them vertically in windows and they twist and turn, making them very pretty. Search Pinterest, I'm sure there are lots of pictures.

Burlap looks pretty with lace and pink too.

Edited crazy autocorrections

tc mama,  may I pick your brain?  the fabric vintage narrow strips interests dd and me.   you mentioned sewn together.  I've seen some that are just fabric strips but not sewn together. 

if you have one, how many strips do you have?  take one and what is the width and length?  i'm wondering what it's store for me if I attempt to make this myself.  

would you mind letting me know? 

I don't have a pinterest acct.