Menu

Ipad, Macbook, Laptop, or....???

My parents have approached us about giving a joint gift to our children for their birthdays this year.  A combined gift.  They suggested perhaps buying a good computer system for them.  I mentioned, perhaps an iPad.  They told me to do some research and let them know what we'd prefer.  

So...I have some questions.

My children are almost 9, just turned 8, 6 1/2 and 5 1/2.

The oldest has some significant LDs including dyscalculia and possibly dyslexia, as well as some visuo-motor coordination issues and spatial integration issues.  I've coveted an iPad for her, for quite some time, as there are, from what I understand, quite a few learning apps for kids with LDs.  

The second oldest, on the other hand, is grade levels ahead and I've long coveted an iPad so that he could be more challenged.  Especially with that chess app that is available on the iPad, but not the Kindle (which we currently have).

I have NO experience with Apple products.  

Can iPad apps be used on a Macbook?  Or are they only for iPads?  

I don't give my kids a lot of screen time.  This is one of the reasons I've not gone ahead and spent the money on an iPad.  I'm really not sure how much they'll use it.  But there are times where I think to myself, "Gosh, I really wish I had a working computer for so and so to use such and such game...that would really help with reinforcing this and that topic."  

How quickly would an iPad be outdated?  I'd hate to have my folks invest in such a system, just to have it be outdated within 2 years.  

Thoughts?  What would YOU get, if you were offered a choice?  

I have had an iPad 2 for two years, and it isn't outdated yet. It suits my needs just fine, quite nicely, in fact. I have not found anything that the newer iPads will do that mine cannot. Mine started with iOS 5, I think (I was not the first owner), and when I got it, it had been upgraded to iOS 6, and since then I have upgraded to 7 and 8. It seems that the iOS is the determining factor, rather than the age, but of course, there may come a time when I can't put the newest iOS on it.

Now, there are a few things that my iPad can't do very well. With a bluetooth keyboard, it'll do word processing, so that's not a concern. I don't download or edit photos on it often because of space. If you go for a tablet, get the most amount of space you can afford. Depending on the printer you have, it may or may not play nicely with the iPad.

I do 99% of my computer stuff via iPad, and the kids use it for language, drill games, Google, etc. If you have a desktop or laptop for other stuff, an iPad would likely work well.

I have an iPad2 that's 3 years old and running the current iOS. Still works just fine. I bought the AppleCare plan and when it had difficulties charging just shy of two years old, Apple replaced it lickety split.

iPad apps and Mac apps are two different entities. You can get iPad apps that sync with apps on your Mac (like the one I use to keep track of my library or iBank), but they're complimentary and if it costs money (like in the case of iBank) you have to buy both.

You can use an iPad without having a computer. You can also get an external keyboard to work with it. Apple provides Pages (word processing) and Numbers (spreadsheet) with the iOS and you can print from an iPad. iBooks will display PDFs so I use mine for all my ebook based curriculum. There are other apps that people use for PDFs. I've just never needed it.

I would not go smaller than a 32GB iPad and if you had the budget, 64GB is preferrable. I always get the AppleCare plan (see above) and the AppleCare+ includes screen replacement for $50 if something catastrophic were to happen. Our iPads have been dropped a number of times, but we've never had a cracked screen. I have a cheap-ish faux leather case for my iPad, but our other two iPads (an iPad3 and an Air1) both have smart cases. I would not go without a case that covers both the back and the screen.

We're an Apple house so by loading Printopia on my Mac, I can print from my iPad to any printer. My mom has a fairly old Brother that she's able to AirPrint to using Printopia. I also have an AppleTV so the ability to Airplay is really important to me. We use it for school a lot.

I also have a bluetooth speaker which I use for school quite a bit (audiobooks, music, etc).

LOL, this is all well above my tech level!  And I consider myself fairly savvy!  This is what happens when you let technology get away from you.

So yes, we do have a laptop.  It is a Dell Inspiron...about 4 years old.  I *was* thinking of giving it to the kids and getting myself something newer.  Until Grandpa stepped in and said, "Hey...how about this?"

Currently, I do NOT have wireless capability here.  Its just a matter of buying a wireless router, but for now, I'm hardwired.  We are using Hughesnet for internet because there is really no other choice.  I suffered with Verizon's MiFi wireless "cloud" for two years of h-e-double hockey sticks.  It truly was a nightmare.

So when I need to add something to my Kindle...I have to run into town and sit in the McD's parking lot.  As a result, there aren't many learning apps on the Kindle.  Mostly books, which I download via USB.  

My printer is a Brother and it CAN print wirelessly.  But I haven't configured it to do so in quite some time.  Actually, my download of ToG somehow screwed with the wireless configuration of the printer.  I don't really understand it.

But no matter...I'm not really sure there would be a lot of printing from the iPad anyways.

And this is kind of my hangup with spending so much on an iPad...I'm not really sure we'd use it enough to justify its expense!  Sure, the learning apps for oldest DD would be nice.  Sure, it would be nice for DS to learn how to play chess.  But realistically, I'm not sure we'd end up doing a whole lot of that!  

You will not be happy with an iPad if you don't have Wi-Fi. You will have to sync with iTunes on a regular computer to install apps and some apps won't work at all without Wi-Fi. You won't be able to use any streaming or web-based apps.

If you need to use a hardwired connection, then you should get a laptop.

You will not be happy with an iPad if you don't have Wi-Fi. You will have to sync with iTunes on a regular computer to install apps and some apps won't work at all without Wi-Fi. You won't be able to use any streaming or web-based apps.

If you need to use a hardwired connection, then you should get a laptop.

I can get Wi-Fi here...like I said, its just a matter of buying a wireless router.  I can do that, right?  Connect it to our home's Hughesnet satellite by using a wireless router?  I know I can connect the laptop wirelessly, I just haven't done so.  

I can get Wi-Fi here...like I said, its just a matter of buying a wireless router. I can do that, right? Connect it to our home's Hughesnet satellite by using a wireless router? I know I can connect the laptop wirelessly, I just haven't done so.

Yup. They're really not that expensive these days. Well, you can spend a lot for one, but there are many decent models under $100. We use our iPads daily and have easily gotten our money's worth. You can always get an iPad mini if you don't mind the smaller size.

Other people get other tablets and they can be less expensive. I don't care for Android and I think the Kindle Fire is clunky, YMMV.

I second not getting an iPad unless you get one with more than 16GB hardrive.

All devices have their pros and cons. For right now, across the board, Apple stuff is better for ME, but that could change at any time, if my life changed.

I'm not using any educational apps at all right now. I do use devices constantly for eBook reading, and basic productivity apps to deal with my memory loss issues. I'm not a big fan of educational apps. The exact things they teach best are the things that I have come to believe are less essential to teach.

For older students, if money was not an issue, I would enjoy having every student having an iPad with a nice keyboard. I would use it mostly for typing papers and Kindle Whispersync. It's nice for students to be able to listen along as they are reading challenging books with vocabulary that they don't get a chance to HEAR in daily life. Students who routinely read above what they hear develop some pretty far out pronunciations of some words, or never learn to use them in their speech and writing at all. Options are exploding that are far cheaper than an iPad for just typing and Kindle Whispersync, but iPads always seem to have the nicest keyboards.