Menu

S/O-What can be done about North Korea??

Moxie

What is the solution for NK?? There doesn't seem to be any chance of anyone else having power. KJU has killed members of his own family, and an ex-girlfriend, there is no limits to what he will do to stay on top. Even if he is toppled, what happens to the people? Is it possible to build a new country? It feels hopeless.

As long as NK can count China as an ally?

Very, very little can be done about NK.

The only thing that comforts me about how little we can afford a war with China is how little they can afford one with us.

Still, China's relationship with NK means that we have few options to make big changes in NK and none of them look great.

I'm not sure something real specific is to be done. At least not right now. Not much beyond economic sanctions they already have. 

The leader seems to be an extreme brand of crazy. They don't seem to be close allies with any other countries. I think other countries have some limited association, but very limited. I think this is good. NK does not seem to have any opportunity to drum up support world wide. 

The military runs that country, all of the crazy stuff the leader does is a power show.  If it was just a single nut job at the top, I believe China would have taken him out.  China wants NK there as a buffer, which is why they put up with it.  But I think the military is a real issue, even for China.  China does not want to enter any kind of protracted war, and they can't just topple the regime without one.  I believe if China tried something, NK would go after SK in order to draw the US in, that way China would be backed into a corner.

The whole thing is a nightmare.  I would love to see the US work out some deal with China that got rid of the leadership NK. 

That kind of control over people can never last, especially in super-connected times like these. People escape, word gets back from the outside, blogs and podcasts are posted, broadcasts are heard, cell phones smuggled it, etc. I'm amazed it's gone on as long as it has. But I expect the current situation to be overturned in my lifetime, should I be lucky enough to live an expected life span.

I think all we can do is wait. It has to come from the inside and it would be wonderful if that turned out to be relative peaceful but I doubt it will be.  :(  As far as support for some kind of insurgency, I don't know if we can or should do anything when the time comes. I do think we should support South Korea as much as we can and provide humanitarian assistance as much as possible, anywhere it's possible.

That kind of control over people can never last, especially in super-connected times like these. People escape, word gets back from the outside, blogs and podcasts are posted, broadcasts are heard, cell phones smuggled it, etc. I'm amazed it's gone on as long as it has. But I expect the current situation to be overturned in my lifetime, should I be lucky enough to live an expected life span.

I think all we can do is wait. It has to come from the inside and it would be wonderful if that turned out to be relative peaceful but I doubt it will be. :( As far as support for some kind of insurgency, I don't know if we can or should do anything when the time comes. I do think we should support South Korea as much as we can and provide humanitarian assistance as much as possible, anywhere it's possible.

Have you seen the photo of NK at night? They barely have electricity. I'm not sure we can count on technology to help in this case.

Have you seen the photo of NK at night? They barely have electricity. I'm not sure we can count on technology to help in this case.

Yes, I have seen photos of it at night.

Some links:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/29/world/asia/29news.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/28/north-korea-defector-radio

http://uskoreainstitute.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Kim-Yonho-Cell-Phones-in-North-Korea.pdf

http://www.northkoreatech.org/2014/06/13/south-korea-steps-up-propaganda-radio-broadcasts/

I'm not saying these are chasms when they are small cracks. But light gets into small cracks too.