Menu

Sonlight Grade 3 readers -- Can someone list out the order they're to be read in?

tld

I think the information you're asking for is copyrighted.......BUT..... for Grade 3, since the Readers aren't tied to any of the history in a SL Core, you could theoretically read them in any order.    It's been several years since we've done that level, so I don't even have the schedule anymore.

Once you get to the Core D readers and higher, you could just arrange the books chronologically.

Hmmm....I hadn't thought about a list being copywrited, but maybe it is.  So I guess I could go in any order, but I do usually see a rhyme and reason to Sonlight's order.  Hmmmm......they have a great return policy.  Maybe that's what I'll have to do.  :blush:

Isn't grade 3 the first year of US History (Core D, I think?)  In that case, just read them in chronological order.

Yes, and it's pretty easy to figure out what order to read them in. Usually you can get the info you need from the back cover or first page, but there may be a few you have to look up online to find the time period. I stopped using their guides and started making my own 1-page list of books we would read in order (like the 1-page list SL has in their guide). It doesn't take long to do that. Sorry I don't have one for D! 

You can order an inexpensive reader schedule. http://www.sonlight.com/3RG.html

You can also see which trimester they are read in on their description page. http://www.sonlight.com/3R30.htmlHere you can see Clara and the Bookwagon is a 1st trimester book.

Seeing what trimester the books fall in is a great idea.  But when I do that, only 4 books come up for 2nd trimester.  Is that right?

Grade 3 readers are not the same as SL core D readers, but the reading scheule can be purchased for around $5 so totally worth it IMHO. :)

oops, totally right! and time period won't matter with those as much. When my kids did these readers (which were called something else back then, LOL!), I was using a book-basket approach--I'd put 5 or so in a basket and let them choose until they'd read all those, then put some more in. 

Seeing what trimester the books fall in is a great idea.  But when I do that, only 4 books come up for 2nd trimester.  Is that right?

Might be. Several of the first trimester books are shorter, easier reads. I remember Viking Adventure being one of the harder books that year--could be that most of the 2nd trimester books are longer ones. Also, one of the books might start in the first trimester but finish in 2nd, which would even things a little. 

Here is my Core D chronological list w/ notes.  Hope it helps!

Early Native Americans: The Very First Americans, North American Indians, Incans Aztecs

Mayans, The Corn Grows Ripe, Tikta’ Liktak

1492 Pedro’s Journal

1527 Walk the World’s Rim

1540 The Tree in the Trail

1607 Pocahontas and the Strangers

1609 A Lion to Guard Us

1621 The Thanksgiving Story; Squanto, Friend of the Pilgrims

1687 The Witch of Blackbird Pond - the Puritans in the Connecticut colony

1706-1790 Benjamin Franklin - Ben Franklin of Old Philadelphia

1700s early - Om-kas-toe

1707 The Courage of Sarah Noble

1721 The Secret of the Sealed Room - Benjamin Franklin is a character

1732-1799 George Washington - Meet George Washington, George Washington: Our First   

Leader

1743-1826 Thomas Jefferson - Meet Thomas Jefferson

1750 The Skippack School - German immigrants

1756 The Matchlock Gun

1760s Sign of the Beaver - after French and Indian War “Seven Years Warâ€

1765-1815 Robert Fulton - Robert Fulton, Boy Craftsman

1765-1825 Eli Whitney - The Story of Eli Whitney

1767ish Calico Bush - pioneers in Maine, The Bears on Hemlock Mountain (no date indicated,

I based my guess off of “Letters from a Farmer in Pennsylvania, To the Inhabitants of

the British Colonies," which were published in the Pennsylvania Chronicle between December 2, 1767, and February 15, 1768)

1773-1838 Carry On, Mr. Bowditch

1774 And Then What Happened, Paul Revere?, Mr. Revere and I

1775-1783 American Revolutionary War - Toliver’s Secret, Phoebe the Spy

1775 Johnny Tremain (Forbes)

1777-1778 The Winter at Valley Forge

1783 Sarah Whitcher’s Story

1784 The Cabin Faced West

1787 U.S. Constitution - If You Were There When They Signed the U.S. Constitution

1788-1812 Sacagawea - Naya Nuki

1788-1850 Adoniram Judson: Bound for Burma - first missionary from North America

1800-1816 The Journeyman - immigrant painter

1803 Louisiana Purchase - REFERENCE POINT, NOT A BOOK

1804 The Lewis and Clark Expedition (Neuberger)

1812-1815 The War of 1812 - Justin Morgan Had a Horse

1835 Swift Rivers - early logging Minnesota

1890? Wyoming granted statehood in 1890. Stone Fox is undated, but takes place in

Wyoming.

Today? Vostaas

History “Spinesâ€: The Landmark History of the American People Vol. 1, The Light and the Glory, From Sea to Shining Sea

Does not include non-history books: Bible, American Indian Prayer Guide, Lawn Boy, The Candymakers, A Child’s Introduction to Poetry