Menu

At what age is a child no longer considered a "little kid"?

Word Nerd

Around 7-12 years old. Then they are a teenager. I think 7-12 year olds can still play and do kid stuff but not in the same sense as little kids. By 7 they can usually hold a conversation, and have some reasoning skills. They look more like a kid and lose the last of those soft baby features. I think the difference between my 5 & 7 year old is huge!

Looking back, I would say they are babies until age 3, toddlers/preschoolers from 3-5, little kids from 5-7, big kids from 7-9, tweens from 9-12, teens from 13-16 and then still teens but also young adults from 16-18 and finally adults at age 18-19. Obviously, it is slightly different for each individual but I would say this is a good guideline. 

When my children were 6 and 9 until 7 to 10, I kept getting comments about how well behaved they were. (My daughter is 4th percentile height, my son 19th.) Now they look tall enough that people expect them to behave well and it is not mentioned. They have always looked littler than they are. Now they look big kid range, but they were close to big kid range when the looked little, hence all the compliments.