Menu

Is There a Way to get a free or cheap Fire Extinguisher?

Gil

Like, are they given away at community outreach type events or by specific organizations?

Now that my kids are cooking more, they've become more aware of fire safety and insist that we get a fire extinguisher at once.

I think its a really, really good idea, but there is no way that I can afford one. Does anyone know of an organization that helps families get one?

Keep a box of salt or baking soda by the stove. Dumping the box over the fire will smother any small grease fire, it is easier to learn to use, and the clean-up is much easier. It's also cheap to get another one if you need to use the first one. 

It's really easy to mess up and spread a grease fire with a pressurized fire extinguisher -- you can end up spraying the burning grease all over your kitchen. 

I don't know any places that give it free. But, I got a 2 pack of fire extinguishers with a $7 coupon off a few months ago in Costco for $25. It works to around $12.50 per fire extinguisher. The brand name was First Alert.

I have seen "Fire Extinguisher Spray bottles" in Home Depot for under $10. Hope this helps.

ETA: here is the "spray bottle" : http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fire-Gone-16-oz-A-B-C-Multiple-Use-Fire-Suppressant-fg-007-102/205309360

They should know that in case of oven fire, never open the door. Turn off the oven and clear away flammables from the area (or spray around the area, if it's caught fire), but don't add oxygen to the fire in the oven.

Yes. Also if a pot with a lid on is smoking badly, DO NOT TAKE THE LID OFF. 

Yes. Also if a pot with a lid on is smoking badly, DO NOT TAKE THE LID OFF. 

Also, if there is a fire under the burner in the drip pan, do not take the pan off the burner.  Just turn the burner off and leave it alone.

When my kids get old enough to cook, I'm going to get one of these really small fire extinguishers.  That one is $11.  I think something small like that would be much easier for a child to point and use if it ever came to that.

Wendy

If you wait until January, lots of stores put smoke alarms, fire extinguishers, etc. on sale and that's when there are often rebates to get you an even better price.  We have a home improvement store called Menards and we bought one last year in January and it was on sale, the store had a 10% rebate, AND the manufacturer had a rebate and it ended up being less than $5.