Menu

s/o Getting Impossibly Burnt On Food Off the Bottom of Enameled Cast Iron (a Solution)

Spy Car

You ever have a Le Creuset (or similar) Enameled Cast Iron Pot that had an almost impossible to remove burned crust that resisted all manner of soaking and scrubbing?

I did. Let me share the solution. Boil Hydrogen Peroxide and Baking Soda in the pot until the mixture is basically gone. The reaction will loosen the burnt crust. It may take multiple passes. Mine was really bad (and took 4 tries), but it saved a pot that was really a mess.

Bill

Good to know--thanks! So far, I've been able to manage with the enamel cleaner I bought with my pans, but that'll run out one of these days and I'll be unlikely to be able to get more (living overseas, restrictions on shipping liquids via the cheap methods), plus I hate that I have to wear gloves when I use it. Hydrogen peroxide and baking soda are much more universally available, and probably cheaper, too :)

Good to know--thanks! So far, I've been able to manage with the enamel cleaner I bought with my pans, but that'll run out one of these days and I'll be unlikely to be able to get more (living overseas, restrictions on shipping liquids via the cheap methods), plus I hate that I have to wear gloves when I use it. Hydrogen peroxide and baking soda are much more universally available, and probably cheaper, too :)

I was at whits end, soaking and boiling and scrubbing at a pot with the mother-of-all-brunt-crusts for days. I half-way thought it might be a "gonner" (except who ditches an enameled stock-pot?).

This fix was so easy.

I hope it helps you one day.

Bill

Talk to me like I've given up on my enameled stock pot and am feigning not caring, but really do care:

What ratio of HP to BS? 1:1? How many TBSPs or what-have-yous of each did you use?

Was afraid someone would ask about ratios.

I forget. It was like a cup of peroxide and a good slug of baking soda. How that sor scientific? :D

Bill

Was afraid someone would ask about ratios.

I forget. It was like a cup of peroxide and a good slug of baking soda. How that sor scientific? :D

Bill

I was afraid you'd be afraid of that.  :D

That actually helps, truly.  I took a metal scouring pad to ours over the weekend because I didn't know what else to do.  I was gentle but firm and hope I didn't hurt it too very much. 

I just tried this with a baking sheet that had burned apple pie juice all over it. I've been working on it for some time. I just poured hydrogen peroxide to cover the stains, and poured enough baking soda on to make a paste. Then I put it in a 350 oven for a while. Burnt stuff was gone! (Stains were still there, but that's okay!)