Menu

Lollipop Logic: what's next?

Guest deannanmc

Guest deannanmc

Hello! My kindergartener is halfway through the first Lollipop Logic book and I am starting to think about what's next. Is the second Lollipop Logic book harder than the first? If not, is it worth doing anyway to reinforce her skills? What do people suggest?

We did Analogies for Beginners and a couple of the Logic Safari books. Both are also from Prufrock Press.

ETA: Back when we did that, I waited until first grade. Also, the other Lollipop Logic books didn't exist, so I can't say. The first one was worth it, but went so super quick. There's tons of other resources for logic like materials from Critical Thinking Company, games like Rush Hour Jr and Mastermind, and thinking outside the box stuff from Tin Man Press.

• Like 3

Hey Farrar,

Those games you mentioned are they for 6 year olds?

Thanks. 

Yes. Rush Hour Jr. is fine for that age. Think Fun makes a bunch of other solo games that are fine for 6 yos. At that age, my kids really liked Castle Logix and Royal Rescue, which are also solo games.

Mastermind may be a little hard for some kids, but there are two tricks for making it easier - one, remove one or more colors from the set of pegs, thus limiting the number of color options and/or stick a row of tape down over the top of one row of where the pegs go in, thus making each puzzle shorter. When you're ready, you can remove the tape and add back the colors. They do make a junior version, but it's very poorly made. I'm not even that keen on the make of the actual Mastermind - I wish the design was much better - but the game is one of the best for logic.

Set is another good logic game that 6 yos can play. Again, if it's tough, you can remove part of the deck to make it doable - that's a good way to start out anyway.

There's a bunch of other good stuff out there. If you have a really good independent toy store near you or a good games shop, they may have advice on new stuff. And this stuff makes good Christmas gifts if you still have room on your list for a couple of things.

• Like 1

My son, almost 6, loves Castle Logix.  I bought Camelot Jr. and Equilibrio for Christmas, so we'll see how that goes.  He plays Rush Hour Jr. on the iPad.  We actually started with the games and are just now cracking Lollipop Logic, but I can not plug the logic type games enough.  He's flying through Lollipop Logic and I'd almost rather spend another year with the games before buying another workbook.

• Like 2

We did similarly to Farrar. My kids liked the Logic Safari books, but those are only deductive reasoning and not the other types of logical thinking. Lollipop logic went so quickly!! I printed a bunch of things from the internet, but we ended up playing a lot of games. 

• Like 1

Oh yeah - we had Tip Over. That was a great one too.

Looks like Camelot Jr. is the new name of the game I knew as Royal Rescue. My kids liked that one more than Castle Logix, though both were good.

One more for younger kids... When my kids were 4 and 5, they really liked Mighty Mind which is another spatial puzzle sort of game.

• 3 months later...