Menu

Mapping out High School - Any Recommendations?

I'm mapping out possible courses for high school.  It looks a little overwhelming to teach several subjects for my upcoming high schooler while making sure that adequate time is spent for my two younger children.   I've been reading over some of the past threads.

Would you encourage using DVDs for some of the core subjects, and which DVDs would you recommend?  

History - For US History, American Gov, and World History, etc. which curriculums would you recommend?  Sonlight, Potter's School, Abeka, Veritas?  If online, which teachers would you recommend?

English - I read in one of the threads that someone recommended this sequence: BlueTent 1, Blue Tent 2, and then PA online English.  I'm unfamiliar with Blue Tent.  PA Homeschooling looked interesting.  How about other curriculums, such as Omnibus 1, or Abeka?  I've always been interested in Omnibus but have never ventured to try.  Any other recommendations?

Foreign language - What's the best software/curriculum for learning a foreign language?

Math - We will continue to use Saxon.

Science - Possible courses at the local school.  The school's labs/facilities are well-equipped.

Computer - What would be the best computer software learning program? I saw that someone recommended TeenCoder

Typing - We've done typing informally online through a couple different websites.  Should I insist on a more formal program?

If I used the Art of Argument and/or Themes in Literature how would I count that as credit?

What about free courseware for certain subjects?  Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!

Just some thoughts:

I'm mapping out possible courses for high school.  It looks a little overwhelming to teach several subjects for my upcoming high schooler while making sure that adequate time is spent for my two younger children.   I've been reading over some of the past threads.

Would you encourage using DVDs for some of the core subjects, and which DVDs would you recommend?  

History - For US History, American Gov, and World History, etc. which curriculums would you recommend?  Sonlight, Potter's School, Abeka, Veritas?  If online, which teachers would you recommend?

We used different things for history each year. Mostly textbooks w/our own literature choices to supplement. I used SL for middle school, but it didn't fit our high school plans. I never found it necessary to outsource history. It just isn't that hard.

English - I read in one of the threads that someone recommended this sequence: BlueTent 1, Blue Tent 2, and then PA online English.  I'm unfamiliar with Blue Tent.  PA Homeschooling looked interesting.  How about other curriculums, such as Omnibus 1, or Abeka?  I've always been interested in Omnibus but have never ventured to try.  Any other recommendations?

We've enjoyed Excellence In Lit for at home classes. Dd jumped from that to Blue Tent level 2 this year. She'll take comp and lit at the Community College next year and go back to EIL for her senior year for something low stress. I can't recommend PA Homeschoolers English classes with Maya Inspektor enough. I've said it several times this year and I love her more every day. She is a treasure. The workload is high with tight deadlines though which doesn't fit everyone.

Foreign language - What's the best software/curriculum for learning a foreign language?

There is no such thing as good software/curriculum for learning a foreign language. Unless you are fluent and can teach it, outsource it. Not everyone will agree, but that is the belief I've come to.

Math - We will continue to use Saxon. ok

Science - Possible courses at the local school.  The school's labs/facilities are well-equipped. ok

Computer - What would be the best computer software learning program? I saw that someone recommended TeenCoder

What is your goal with computer learning? Is your child interested in programming? If not, you might consider an applications course such as office rather than a programming class.

Typing - We've done typing informally online through a couple different websites.  Should I insist on a more formal program?

Your teen should be a touch typist before entering high school. If not, fix it now. I don't think typing is not a high school subject any more. The public schools here teach it in elementary school and do not offer it in high school. My kids were in ps in early elementary and ds was typing 40 WPM in second grade. All kids in the district were touch typists by the end of fourth grade when they moved to the upper elementary. I'm sure you'll find exceptions, but the ability to type and use a word processor is assumed by high school.

If I used the Art of Argument and/or Themes in Literature how would I count that as credit?

Thanks!!!

Foreign Language- Rosetta Stone. Some people don't like it. We love it for both Hebrew and German

Science Labs- Bridgeway Academy Learning labs are 10 week on-line live interactive classes where the kids earn 1/2 high school credit. Ds 14 just finished Chem lab- it was excellent! They offer fall, spring and winter courses. 

For writing- Omnibus has a lot of writing assignments but little in the way of writing instruction- make sure grammar is up to speed. We've used IEW with good success. We'll be venturing into The Lost Tools of Writing next fall. 

I'm mapping out possible courses for high school.  It looks a little overwhelming to teach several subjects for my upcoming high schooler while making sure that adequate time is spent for my two younger children...

...Would you encourage using DVDs for some of the core subjects...

Just as a general thought for best success, I recommend outsourcing courses:

- which are the most difficult for YOU to teach -- either very time-consuming, you dislike, or you are weak at

- or are subjects where you butt heads with your student

- or are subjects in which your student would excel with an outside instructor/would prefer an outside instructor

Similarly, I'd consider using DVD-based programs for similar reasons, and would add:

- subject(s) the student prefers to work solo/independently.

I would NOT outsource a subject that a young high school student was very weak in, as the student is likely to quickly be overwhelmed and fall behind in the struggle to keep up with online class pace. Nor would I use a DVD-based program in weak subject area(s) -- make sure you schedule time to be right at the student's elbow each day for any weak area(s) -- it really pays to put this time in early in high school so you don't have to repeat subjects later when the schedule gets even more crunched time-wise. You can free up YOUR time by outsourcing or using DVDs for solo working in your high schooler's strong subject areas.

Also, unless I had a student who was already a strong student, working largely independently in middle school, and who was very self-disciplined and motivated, I would move slowly and only turn over 1 or 2 subjects to DVD-based / independent working or outsourcing in 9th grade. Most students transition *slowly*, over the course of the 4 years of high school, into increasing levels of being able to work solo or for outside teachers; it's easy as the parent/teacher to assume, "Oh, this is high school s/he should be doing everything mostly independently" -- and that is just NOT the case for many high school students starting 9th grade. ;)

History - For US History, American Gov, and World History, etc. which curriculums would you recommend?  Sonlight, Potter's School, Abeka, Veritas?  If online, which teachers would you recommend?

English - I read in one of the threads that someone recommended this sequence: BlueTent 1, Blue Tent 2, and then PA online English.  I'm unfamiliar with Blue Tent.  PA Homeschooling looked interesting.  How about other curriculums, such as Omnibus 1, or Abeka?  I've always been interested in Omnibus but have never ventured to try.  Any other recommendations?

Foreign language - What's the best software/curriculum for learning a foreign language?

Math - We will continue to use Saxon.

Science - Possible courses at the local school.  The school's labs/facilities are well-equipped.

History

If you and your student enjoy History, this is a good subject to NOT outsource -- instead, enjoy spending the time on it together. In that situation, you both would probably something rigorous like Tapestry of Grace, or a Do-It-Yourself (DIY) option which would allow you to enjoy DVDs of Teaching Company lecture series on different time periods, plus DVDs of documentaries and feature films set in historical time periods. Easy Peasy has free schedules and material lists, if interested in seeing how to DIY. 

However, if one or both of you don't enjoy History, or if your student just wants to check off the History box, then I would not recommend Sonlight (which would be frustrating with no "spine" and lots of books all over the place for a non-History lover). I would also not recommend Veritas Omnibus (intensive). If just looking for an independent box-checking option you might consider Alpha-Omega (Christian) Switched On Schoolhouse, which is computer CD-based.

English

Typically, this is half Writing/Composition and half Literature. Where is your student in writing level? How comfortable are you in teaching and grading the Writing and/or Literature? That will make a big difference in what you choose to use.

For outsourcing the Writing/Composition portion of English (so, 1/2 of your English credit), in addition to Blue Tent, other online courses that receive good reviews here:

- Bandusia Tutorials (expository writing)

- Laurel Tree Tutorials (intro to comp; high school comp; individual tutorials)

- Brave Writer (expository essay; SAT/ACT essays)

- Lost Tools of Writing

- Harvey Center: Grace Kosloski's Literary Analysis class teaches writing through study of Lit.

- also: Home 2 Teach; Time 4 Writing; and Write at Home.

For DVD programs (Writing/Composition): Essentials in Writing (mostly solo/independent); IEW (less solo/independent).

As far as using Omnibus -- it is quite rigorous, and is heavily weighted towards the History. It does combine Great Books for the Literature portion of the English credit; not sure how much instruction there is for the Writing/Composition portion of the English credit, but I don't think it is very much. And Omnibus is not a very independent program overall, as it requires a fair amount of parent involvement for discussions and oversight. I would suggest only considering Omnibus if you are a History-based family, and prefer your Literature to heavily connect to the History. However, using the Veritas Online class would free you up from needing to oversee all of the program -- you would just be helping your student complete assignments and stay on target with an outsourced class.

I know several families locally who are taking Literature or English classes through Potter's School and are quite happy with the classes.

For the Literature portion of the English credit, it depends on how much you want/don't want to tie the Lit. to your History. None of these are outsourced, nor are they DVD-based, but if you and your student enjoy doing Literature together, you could outsource 1-2 other subjects and enjoy doing one of these for the Lit. 1/2 of the English credit:

Speciality 1 semester or 1 year Lit. programs

- Windows to the World (gr. 9-12; 1 semester, with writing)

- Lit Lessons from Lord of the Rings (gr. 7-10; 1-year lit study, focus on Tolkien's trilogy; suggested writing assignments only)

- Where Brook & River Meet (unit study for girls; Anne of Green Gables)

1 Year Lit. Programs (with Writing)

- Bob Jones University Press (4 one-year programs

- Excellence in Literature (5 one-year programs)

- Lightning Literature (12 one-semester programs)

Programs with chronological Lit, OR, Lit & History combined (with writing)

- SMARR (4 one-year programs: Intro to Lit, Amer. British, world, OR, 4-year chronological)

- My Father's World (uses Notgrass Hist. over 2 years: Ancient /World or US)

- Omnibus

- Tapestry of Grace

Foreign Language

Agreeing with Momto2Ns above -- if you need to sub this subject out, then go to a real-life teacher or tutor, or a live online class, or dual enrollment with the local community college. DVDs and computer CDs provide vocabulary and accent, but no conversation practice and no grammar and writing practice, which is crucial for learning a foreign language.

Math

If you find you need more support with the Math, there are the DIVE CDs to go with Saxon. Also the free online video tutorials for additional explanation from Khan Academy. And if you need class support for using Saxon, there are the FREE online homeschool co-op classes with Virtual Homeschool Group, and the for-a-fee online classes with Derek Owens

If Saxon ends up not working for you, other DVD-based programs include: VideotextKinetic BooksChalkdust; and Bob Jones. Online independent-working / self-paced options include: ALEKSThinkwell; and Tablet Class.

Science

If participating in a class at the local public school does not pan out, a DVD option would be Bob Jones; Thinkwell; or DIVE (Digital Interactive Video Education). If you end up just needing visual supplement for science: Red Wagon Tutorials (supplements Apologia), or, general science supplements: Bozeman youtube videoes; BrightstormKhan Academy; or a Teaching Company DVD lecture series.

JMO:

- Art of Argument = 0.25 to 0.5 credit of high school Logic (it is typically a middle school program)

- Themes in Literature = not sure what specific program this is, but I would assume it would be one of several resources used in reading, discussing/analyzing, and writing about Literature, as the Lit. portion of a resource for support for the Literature portion of the English credit -- so, not a stand-alone credit program

- If you can get Teaching Company Great Courses from your library, a number of those get good reviews on these boards.

- Coursera classes are getting good reviews on these boards.

- Creative Live (free when watching them as live streaming -- or, download for a fee) has excellent courses in photography (John Greengo's Fundamentals of Digital Photography), how to use graphic arts software, and other fine arts-based courses.

Welcome to planning for high school! :) BEST of luck as you research! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! There were a lot of good points to digest.

I'm trying to look at all the recommended websites. Thank you for all the links!!  Very helpful!  Especially the ideas about computer classes.

~Laughing Lioness I glanced at the Bridgeway Academy Learning labs.  The cheapest option seemed to be >1000.  I was wondering if that included all subjects or if one subject would be cheaper?  I think my problem would still be the lab equipment.  If I were to do the science at home, the sonlight kits seem appealing because everything is included in the package already.  

~Momto2Ns what would you recommend for History in lieu of the SL?  I'll look at the Excellence in Lit.  Looks interesting.  I saw the description of Maya.  Yes, she seems very accomplished :).  dd can type pretty o.k.  She's been using StarOffice.  Maybe I should just focus on some of the other computer courses and keep requiring her to type her writing assignments.

~Lori D. I've heard of Tapestry of Grace and might have looked at their products in the past.  I am not sure that I'd trust myself to complete Easy Peasy but it does look interesting. I like the vocabulary exercises.   I noticed that the creator of the website labeled one of her subjects as "Honors."  How would I know if it meets the criteria for Honors?  I did read somewhere that we have to be careful on transcripts when we label as course "AP", for example.  

It'll take me some time to look over all the English link suggestions.  

I appreciate the opinions about the Omnibus.  It's really hard to gage the Omnibus books because Veritas doesn't show you much more than the preface.

If a program had Literature and History combined (like Tapestry), would that count as 2 credits, then?  When I pulled up the more familiar Veritas website, that seemed to be the case, because they didn't seem to have a separate History category.   It might be nicer to have literature and writing more intertwined.

The Teaching Company Great Courses look very appealing, but I don't have  a library nearby so I'd probably need to purchase them, and I'm not sure if I should invest that much in supplementary material.  They do look enticing.

… If a program had Literature and History combined (like Tapestry), would that count as 2 credits, then?

…  It's really hard to gage the Omnibus books because Veritas doesn't show you much more than the preface.

Yes. Omnibus, Tapestry of Grace would definitely be combined History & Lit./Writing for English to be worth 2 credits -- one each for History and English. If you DIY Well Trained Mind style, with a text such as Susan Wise Bauer's History of the Ancient World, and then choose go-along ancient Great Books and some individual guides, you would also count as 2 credits. This past thread had some good comparisons of Veritas Omnibus, Tapestry of Grace, and individual guides to Great Books: "Lit: TOG vs Omnibus vs PP guides vs Memoria Press".

If you want something that is more scheduled and prepared for you, but is still History that is largely living book-based (more like Sonlight), which would also allow you the freedom to use a separate Literature program with writing included for a separate English credit:

- My Father's World (high school)

- Pandia Press: History Odyssey (level 3)

- Biblioplan (grade 8+ level)

- Mystery of History (older level)

- Truth Quest (main guides; for gr. 5-12)

- Trisms (high school)

re: Omnibus samples -- here are complete chapter sample from Omnibus:

student text (16 pages)

teacher guide (23 pages)

… Easy Peasy… I noticed … one of her subjects as "Honors."  How would I know if it meets the criteria for Honors?  I did read somewhere that we have to be careful on transcripts when we label as course "AP", for example.  

Honors is more "squishy" than AP. ;)

(To label a course as AP, you must follow strict College Board guidelines and either use a specially prepared curriculum that is already AP-approved, OR, submit your own DIY syllabus to College Board to get their okay on it being AP quality.)

For honors, you can compare with high school syllabi you find through google searching, or look at the table of contents of standard homeschool curricula. If you are doing significantly harder works, reading a larger number of books or significantly longer books, and with more output (projects, writing), requiring more advanced critical thinking and analysis, then you can safely call it an Honors course. Or, if it is a college level course (either through dual enrollment or one of the quality open source courses or a MOOC (mass open online course) from a university, then it is at an advanced level and requiring advanced work and thinking, and thus, is of Honors level.

I glanced at the Bridgeway Academy Learning labs.  The cheapest option seemed to be >1000.  I was wondering if that included all subjects or if one subject would be cheaper?  I think my problem would still be the lab equipment.  If I were to do the science at home, the sonlight kits seem appealing because everything is included in the package already.  

Sonlight uses Apologia texts and supply kits for their high school science packages. To save money, you can purchase the textbook sets used from another homeschooler (see the usual sale/swap boards, or try local and you can get the identical supplies from Rainbow Resource. Or, you can even purchase everything new (texts and supplies) from Rainbow Resource for less than what Sonlight sells for. Example:

- Sonlight = Biology = $461 ($68 text, tests, answers + $255 microscope + $75 microscopy supplies + $55 dissection kit & specimens   + $19 - SL schedule)

- Rainbow Resource = $399 ($58 text, tests, answers + $285 microscope AND miscroscopy supplies + $48 dissection kit & specimens + $8 daily lesson plan)

You can also get free schedules and info on lab write ups from the Donna Young website:

- schedules

- lab sheets: physical science, biology, generic lab sheet forms

- sample lab report

Or, if you decide to do science at home, in addition to Laughing Lioness' suggestion of Bridgeway, here are some additional lab options:

Landry Intensive (a year's worth of labs in a weekend) = $280

Home Science Tools (many kits and supplies for DIY or to match with a particular program)

Science Labs in a Box (same)

TOPS units (match units to science program)

And while you need to do some actual hands-on labs, you can supplement your science with some free virtual labs:

Frog Guts (virtual dissections)

Virtlab (chemstry demos)

The Teaching Company Great Courses look very appealing, but I don't have  a library nearby so I'd probably need to purchase them, and I'm not sure if I should invest that much in supplementary material.

Teaching Company (TC) items can often be found used. I got the Economics series (Timothy Taylor) for about $35 (included shipping) from Amazon used items. Do any of the homeschool groups in your area have annual used curriculum sales? Or a website where people can post "classifieds" to buy/sell curriculum? Also check out the sale/swap board here at WTM, Homeschool Classifieds, and the homeschool sale/swap boards at the Veg Source website. I've had good luck buying used from other homeschoolers that way. I've even seen some of them for sale cheap through the local Craigslist ads. (For example, I just looked at Craigslist in my area and saw a history series of 48-lectures for $15).

Another thought: are there any homeschoolers in your area you can do a borrow/loan with? You loan them a big ticket item you're not using for the year, and they loan you one of their expensive items in exchange for the year. I did that several times with some homeschoolers from our big group who I knew and trusted.

And of course, you can always think of it as an investment -- buy and use (and maybe even save for future students), and then re-sell when done. The TC materials hold their value well -- if you can buy sets for $25-50, you can resell for virtually as much, as long as you keep it all in good condition. ;)

Hope something there helps! Warmest regards, Lori D.

~Laughing Lioness I glanced at the Bridgeway Academy Learning labs.  The cheapest option seemed to be >1000.  I was wondering if that included all subjects or if one subject would be cheaper?  I think my problem would still be the lab equipment.  If I were to do the science at home, the sonlight kits seem appealing because everything is included in the package already.  

They offer every thing from Learning Labs to Record Keeping to full textbook or full on-line programs. 

They also sell the lab kits. We purchased our chem kit directly from them. Like Lori D mentioned above, pick areas that you struggle with teaching and outsource. Bridgeway LL science labs are taught by K-12 certified math and science teachers. Ds' 14 science teacher was one tough, but fun, cookie! 

• 2 weeks later...