Menu

memorizing bones

Anyone have a favourite resource for memorizing the human skeleton? Dd has a list of bones she needs to know for her physical anthro exam & was trying to find something a tad more interactive than just staring at blank charts & labelling them, kwim?

Only things I found so far were either too detailed or not detailed enough. She has a specific list of bones they have to know & identify. Is there something where you can tick off the bones you want to study & have the others off the chart?

tia

X-Ray tech here.  We had to learn all the bones back in the day when I attended Radiologic Technology school.  A mnemonic device works great for learning lists of bones.  A famous one is

Carpal bones (multangular names)

“Never Lower Tillie’s Pants. Grandma  Might Come Home.â€:

• Navicular
  • Lunate
  • Triquetrium
  • Pisiform
  • greater Multangular (trapezium)
  • lesser Multangular (trapezoid)
  • Capitate
  • Hamate

The carpal bones are the bones in the wrist.  I also remember  P. U. as in something that smells bad as a trick for remembering the ulna.  P.U. stands for pinky/ ulna  i.e. the ulna is the is the lower arm bone that is medial when the body is in the anatomical anterior/posterior position or in plain English the ulna is on the same side of the body as your pinky finger :)

Also, the fibula is the smaller lower leg bone because a fib is a small lie. I can't think of any more right off the top of my head but there are lots.

You can find other mnemonics online but beware that many are filthy!!  Just thought I'd better mention that so you dd doesn't get an unpleasant surprise.

X-Ray tech here.  We had to learn all the bones back in the day when I attended Radiologic Technology school.  A mnemonic device works great for learning lists of bones.  A famous one is

Carpal bones (multangular names)

“Never Lower Tillie’s Pants. Grandma  Might Come Home.â€:

• Navicular
  • Lunate
  • Triquetrium
  • Pisiform
  • greater Multangular (trapezium)
  • lesser Multangular (trapezoid)
  • Capitate
  • Hamate

The carpal bones are the bones in the wrist.  I also remember  P. U. as in something that smells bad as a trick for remembering the ulna.  P.U. stands for pinky/ ulna  i.e. the ulna is the is the lower arm bone that is medial when the body is in the anatomical anterior/posterior position or in plain English the ulna is on the same side of the body as your pinky finger :)

Also, the fibula is the smaller lower leg bone because a fib is a small lie. I can't think of any more right off the top of my head but there are lots.

You can find other mnemonics online but beware that many are filthy!!  Just thought I'd better mention that so you dd doesn't get an unpleasant surprise.

The navicular bone is part of the foot articulation.

If you are going from lateral to medial then it is scaphoid-lunate-triquetrium-psiform (proximal row) trapezium-trapezoid-capitate-hamate (distal row) which medical students learn as:

Some Lovers Try Positions That They Can't Handle *You may or may not want to share this with your daughter.*

You can also think tibia=toe because the tibia is medial to the fibula just like the big toe is always medial when standing in anatomic position.

The navicular and the scaphoid are the same CARPAL bone. There is an alternate naming for some of the carpal bones. The greater and lesser multangular are also known as the trapezium and the trapezoid.

The navicular is also one of the tarsal bones in the foot.

These mnemonics are very catchy and *very* lewd. I'm a programmer and I can still name most of the Cranial nerves and whether they are sensory, motor, or both based on mnemonics I heard a few time when DW was in med school 15 years ago...