Menu

AAR Pre-Reading

MomOfABunch

We LOVED the AAR Pre-Reading program.  It was fantastic.  

After using the program, the only things you really NEED are the student activity kit and the teachers manual.  

The index card box is nice to have as well as the divider cards.  Just because it makes everything look pretty.  (It matches your book lol)   But, you could also use an index card box and post it dividers on index cards if you have those around.  

If you are working with young children, I personally think that the zebra puppet IS really, really nice to have.   My kids fell in love with this puppet.   It was an essential part of the games for us.   BUT, you don't have to use the AAR puppet for the lessons.  You could use any puppet.   We ended up purchasing a much cheaper zebra puppet on amazon.  OR, you could sub this out with any other puppet or stuffed animal you already own!   You could use Manny the Monkey for your lessons.  Or Paul the Panda for your lessons.   Or....well....you get the idea.   Any cute, snugly stuffed animal would work.  A puppet is nice, though, because you can make its mouth move when "it" answer the questions.  :)

The books that come with the package are really not that useful to me.   We didn't end up using them at all.   We were already reading a bunch of other alphabet books from the library.   And, we were already reading and enjoying lots of other picture books and poetry from the Sonlight program....so I didn't end up using those books much past the first few lessons. 

If I had it to do over again, I would probably just purchase the teachers manual and the student activity KIT a la carte.  (Make sure you don't just get the student book----you need all of the index cards for the games.)   I know rainbow sells these two components a la carte, and AAR may too.   I would not buy either of the two packages personally unless you really want their box and divider cards.