Menu

Needing Dictation Suggestions

Tracy

In the wake of some health issues, I am starting to think of what dd9 needs to be doing in terms of writing.  She has done WWE1-3.  I bought WWE4, but it is just too much for her.  Though she is bright and can remember the passages well, she has huge issues with writing.  Nevertheless, I think she really needs dictation, just not on steroids ;) .  

I have considered gathering my own sentences using the WWE instructor text as a guide.  But as I look at the sample for that book, I am not sure I understand how that would work.  It appears to provide the passages for you, just as in the Student Text.  I also am not sure I'll be able keep up with that level of teacher involvement.  I am feeling a lot better, but I still have some bad days, and I still have numerous doctor's appointments.  

Someone has already suggested to me using the dictation resource that goes with Spelling Plus.  I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for dictation?

Oh, I really like this.  Lots of historical references.  That is great for her.  She is a history nut.  I also like that there is a variety of sentences requiring different mechanics.  And it is free, now you gotta like that.  Thank you!

...  I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for dictation?

The Sonlight LA for the 2001-2010 years had dictations to go with their reading books for grades 1-5 or 6. For the older SL editions, the 3rd grade-ish level, the dictation would be no more than 3 sentences. There were 2 dictation passages a week, and then 1-2 worksheets to go with each dictation that you would use for the following day or two to work with grammar concepts, spelling homophones, and some language arts-based critical thinking things. The concept was very based on the Ruth Beechick concept of dictation and working with the passage.

I just looked up the sample pages for the current edition of Core "D" (3rd grade-ish); looks like the dictation is part of the "Creative Expression" portions of the History core guide. That would be terribly expensive to go that route, but you could probably find an old core LA guide and worksheets very cheap used… Hmmm; I just looked on ebay, and that's a bit stiff -- $20-60, depending on year and how many materials are included. There's a Core D LA with worksheets for $20ppd over at Homeschool Classifieds...

Anyways, just a thought. Cheers, and best of luck, Lori D.

ETA -- never mind my SL suggestion; while I was typing, you found what works. ;)

Around that age my dd did this and enjoyed it http://www.amazon.com/Take-Five-Minutes-History-Resources/dp/0743930517  I think I got it as an ebook.  I printed the pages and cut each day's editing into strips, writing the number of errors to find them on each strip so she'd know when she was done.  She edited then did them as copywork.  Alternately, you could edit and then give them as dictation.  

We dictated the sample sentences in the Wise Guide of SWR.  Sometimes we did literature (like literally open a cool book and read).  I think we have copywork on lulu from way back, but that costs money.  It was cool, but I'm just putting that disclaimer on it.  There were others too, so look on lulu to see what strikes you.  And Bravewriter has their Arrow, which I've never used but thought was nice.

For us the benefit came more with *quantity* than it did what particularly source we were using.