Menu

Is Beast 3-4 enough to go into Singapore 5?

specialkmom

My 4th grader did Singapore Standards Edition K-3. This year we moved overseas and I am a full time student. He is in a school doing Saxon 4. Last year we did Beast 3A-B and since he is bored with his math we are doing 3C&D at home. I am planning to buy 4 A-C as a Christmas present  (for him and me). 

My question is for next year when we homeschool again. If anyone has used both Beast and/or Singapore 4-5 it would be very helpful to get your opinion. Do you think he will be able to move into Singapore 5 or are there some things in SM4 that won't get covered through Beast? Will he be missing important stuff in Singapore 4? 

We did through Beast 4A and needed to go into Singapore 4B, but obviously we did not complete the BA 4 sequence because it wasn't out yet. IMHE there were concepts in SM4 not covered in Beast. The concepts in BA are covered more in depth but unless the newer books cover it volume was left out completely and BA had not done decimal work like SM4 included. Those problems may be fixed by the time all of BA 4 is out.

Thanks for your thoughts. The challenge I have is that where I live shipping is very expensive and not reliable. Most things have to be carried in luggage or come through a special shipment (which can take months, we just got stuff that left USA in July.) A big change from Amazon 2 day shipping.

My kids didn't find decimals all that difficult really. You could either wait and order 4D when it comes out (if you haven't started 4A yet, then I think it's likely that even with delayed shipping you could get it in time and you could order the fifth grade Singapore books at the same time then). Or if you really have to order way ahead, you could order something like the Key to Decimals or a Math Mammoth single topic book for decimals and introduce them that way and then I'm sure you'd be okay. If you wanted to drag Beast out just a little, you could add something like Process Skills in Problem Solving so that you'd be starting to work on Singapore type word problems. Or you could do one of the Zaccaro Challenge Math books.