Menu

What is an AP class?

I started paying attentiont to the high school board in April, being that I have a 7th grader now.

I keep reading about AP classes over and over. I'd never heard of them before April.

Can someone tell me everything you know about AP classes? Can a homeschooler teach an "AP" class at home? Does you child go to the local public school to attend one? Are these online classes? I really don't know even what it is.

Then I hear something about AP tests? What are those? Where you do take them? When do you take them? Why do you take them? Are there test prep books for them?

Pretend I know nothing about this, nothing at all. What do I need to know? How do I implement one? Do I even want to implement one? What's the point? How does it correspond to community college duel enrollment classes? When would a student start taking AP classes? What subjects are AP classes? What other questions should I have that I don't know to ask?

I haven't been in high school in 25 years and I don't remember hearing about AP classes back then and I'm completely out of the loop. If there's a website that I should be looking at instead of asking you guys, does anyone know what it is?

an example schedule (since your 7th grader is currently taking Pre-Algebra)

8th  Algebra 1

9th  Geometry

10th  Algebra 2

11th  Pre-calculus

12th  Calculus AB AP or Statistics AP  (depends what major in college student is pursuing).  These will be college credits at most colleges except very elite

For Math unless you have a solid STEM degree - recommend out-sourcing AP Math classes

(this could be dual enrollment at CC and take AP exam as well)

A few more things to mention about AP classes.

As mentioned above, AP classes are supposed to be college level classes taught to high school students. At the end of the class, the student can then opt to take the associated AP exam which, if they do well, may earn them college credit. Granting of credit is done by the University they choose to attend and is handled differently by each university, but credit is widely given for these exams.

The name "AP" is trademarked (I'm not sure if that is the right word) by the college board. So in order to call a class an AP class on your child's transcript, you have to either (a) have your syllabus approved by the college board or (b.) enroll in a class that has had their syllabus approved by the college board. Frequently you will see curriculum marketed as "AP", such as Sonlight's AP Psychology, or Thinkwell has several courses labeled "AP". You cannot use the AP designation on your transcript just because you use this curriculum.

The course and the exam are completely separate. You can enroll your child in an AP class or have a syllabus approved and teach one and never have them take an exam or you can have your child study the material from a non-approved source and have them take the exams, or of course have them take the approved class and the exam.

What is the point?

There are a couple of reasons to take AP courses. One is that there exist out there some excellent ones. Truly excellent teachers, teaching at a high caliber, challenging students who are ready to be challenged. The next is that it looks good on the transcripts. AP courses, but more so AP exam scores of 4 or 5 (5 is the top) will help to verify the quality of a child's education if they are seeking admissions into a more selective University. They can also improve scholarship opportunities. AP classes come with a perception of a specific level of accomplishment. It gives the college a way to rank students, particularly homeschool students, who can be difficult to put into their standard formulas.

How do they compare with CC courses? 

This probably depends on the AP class and the CC. However, the impression I've gotten from admissions counselors is that most Universities will look more favorably on AP classes as having a more consistent content level. That does not mean they get more credit. I think it is important when considering APs to consider your child. AP exams are difficult and are not typically the easiest way to get the credit. CC courses are typically less work and are less dependent on one grade on one day. There are also CLEP exams which are also one test one day, but you pick the day and they are a bit easier tests, all multiple choice, no essay (APs have an essay section). Knowing where your child might attend college, what type of University and the specific University will help you choose the options that work for you.

For us, we have used 4-year University classes, AP classes, and CLEP tests all to gain credit and the classes to also show preparedness for college level work (I don't think CLEP does that). My youngest hopes to start at the CC next semester as well. All of these are valid resources. Understanding each's strengths and weaknesses is the key.

You might also find some of the threads in the big pinned thread at the top of the high school board to be helpful: "Starting High school… AP, PSAT, SAT/ACT, SATII … links to past threads here!"

post #1 links past threads on the topics of:

- high school time table

- getting started

- books and resources for homeschooling high school

- making a high school plan

- outsourcing

- tutors

- online classes

- dual enrollment

post #2 links past threads on the pros/cons of different tests:

AP, PSAT, SAT/ACT, SATII (or SAT Subject), CLEP, GED

Here's the "quick start" for the major tests you have to decide about in high school that I cut-and-pasted from the thread "Need PSAT/SAT/ACT help please":

PSAT (Preliminary SAT)

cost = $20 (approx)

length = 2.5 hours (approx)

when given = once a year, mid-October

when to take it = 11th grade (for potential scholarship $$); 9th/10th grade (if there's room at the testing location for younger students) for extra practice

where given = at most high schools (PSAT location search engine)

purposes:

practice test for the SAT

- when taken in 11th grade and score 98-99% = possible NMS-awarded scholarship $$ or college-awarded scholarship for NMS Finalists (National Merit Scholarship). As a result, many families have students take the PSAT in 10th or even also in 9th as practice for when it "counts" in 11th grade

what to do = Directly approach a local high school to register/pay — start the process in late Aug / early Sept, in case it takes several schools to find one that works with homeschoolers; get a receipt when you pay; call closer to the test time to verify that your student IS on their list; schools order the tests in late Sept./early Oct., and don't always have extras for last minute sign-ups.

ACT

cost = without essay = $36.50  /  with essay = $50 (fee waiver info)

length = 4-5 hours (approx)

when given = 2nd or 3rd Saturday of Sept / Oct / Dec / Feb / Apr / Jun

when to take it = 11th or 12th grade; 9th/10th grades for practice, or for "super scoring"

where given = test centers -- usually at a few high schools or university (ACT test location search engine)

purposes:

- tests readiness for college

- confirms homeschool grades on the transcript

- college admission

- a way colleges award scholarships

what to do = register/pay online, 6-8 weeks in advance of desired test date and location -- includes uploading a specific-sized, recent photo of the student; print off "admission ticket" receipt and bring, along with a state-issued photo ID or passport, on test day (ACT Test Day Checklist)

SAT (also known as SAT Reasoning Test)

cost = $51 (fee waiver for low income)

length = 4-5 hours (approx)

when given = 1st Saturday of Oct / Nov / Dec / Mar / May / Jun; 3rd Saturday of Jan

when to take it = 11th or 12th grade; 9th/10th grades for practice, or for "super scoring"

where given = test centers -- usually at a few high schools or university (SAT location search engine)

NOTE: the SAT is getting a massive make-over in spring 2016

purposes:

- tests readiness for college

- college admission

- a way colleges award scholarships

what to do = register/pay online, 6-8 weeks in advance of desired test date and location -- includes uploading a specific-sized, recent photo of the student; print off "admission ticket" receipt and bring, along with a state-issued photo ID or passport, on test day (Test Day Tips & Policies)

SAT Subject (or SATII)

cost = $24.50 = first test, $13 each additional test (fee waiver for low income)

length = 1 hour; can take up to 3 SAT Subject tests in one day

when given = same as SAT -- but not all subjects tested on all days (test schedule)

when to take it = as soon after completing the course as possible for "freshness"

where given = at the SAT test centers (location search engine)

purposes:

- shows understanding of high school level material in that subject

- college admission requirement for some colleges (list of colleges require / recommend / consider SATII tests)

what to do = register/pay online, 6-8 weeks in advance of desired test date and location -- includes uploading a specific-sized, recent photo of the student; print off "admission ticket" receipt and bring, along with a state-issued photo ID or passport, on test day (Test Day Tips & Policies)

AP (Advanced Placement)

cost = $100 (approx)  (AP financial aid for low income families )

length = varies on the subject (1.5 to 3 hours, approx.)

when given = two weeks in May (test schedule); not every test given at every location each year

when to take it = 11th & 12th grades are typical, but earlier if completed the study/coursework

where given = at some local high schools 

purposes:

- tests understanding of advanced & college level material while still a high school student

- confirms advanced work on transcript

- help with admission to top tier & competitive schools

- depending on the score (and the school), some colleges grant college credit for AP, or allow freshmen into honors programs due to AP

what to do (for homeschoolers) = at least a year in advance of the test desired, locate a school willing to allow homeschooled student to test with their students, pay the fee, study AP coursework over the school year (student can take AP test without taking an AP class); on test day be sure to bring state-issued photo ID

CLEP (College Level Examination Program)

cost = $80-125 (approx)

length = varies

when given = varies (you schedule appt. with the test center)

when to take it = as an adult; or 11th & 12th grades -- but earlier if completed studying

where given = community colleges and universities

pros /cons = no grade or GPA attached to CLEP credits; can be a quicker, cheaper way of accruing college credits to cut college costs, or fill in missing general ed. course requirements; accepted by many but not all universities

purposes:

- test of college-level material for college credit

- confirms advance work (college level) on the transcript

- depending on individual university policies, can be accrued in advance of college to reduce number of credits required while attending college for the degree

what to do = online registration for scheduling a specific test/location; use CLEP study materials to prepare for the test; on test day bring payment and state-issued photo ID

How to Know What Test (If Any) to Take?

In deciding which test(s) your student should take, it helps to know the answers to questions such as:

- what college program/degree are they going for

- what schools do they plan to apply to

- do those schools grant credit for CLEP, AP, dual enrollment

- do those schools require SAT Subject tests

- are those schools competitive, so that AP tests help with admissions

- do APs open doors at those schools to honors courses or special programs and research opportunities to freshmen (or do they not make a difference)

- how big of a factor are finances to your student going to college

- how good are the chances your student will be awarded a LOT, some, or little money (from merit = scholarships, or, from need = grants and some scholarships)

Welcome to planning ahead for high school! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.