Menu

Holt textbooks for algebra, geometry, and algebra 2 - seeking advice - videos and editions

Thanks to reading past posts and suggestions on this board, we are now considering using three Holt textbooks written by Dr. Burger for algebra 1, geometry, and algebra 2.  Among other things, we love the idea that there are codes in these textbooks that give access to free videos by Dr. Burger that correspond to the textbook lessons.  (If I understand correctly, these are the same video lessons that are available to those using the Thinkwell program.)

We had considered Thinkwell and have heard many rave reviews about Dr. Burger's lectures.  We have seen, however, lots of users who have criticized Thinkwell's problem sets and lack of review.  I'm thinking that using the Holt textbooks, along with Dr. Burger's corresponding video lessons, might make for a great combination.

I'd love to hear any feedback from others who have used any of these textbooks (Holt algebra, geometry, and algebra 2) in conjunction with the video lessons.

Also, there are two editions of these Holt textbooks, written by Dr. Burger - 2007 and 2011.  I have found all three 2007 textbooks, both the student and teacher editions for each, but I'm not having any luck at all finding the 2011 editions.  I have seen a sample of the 2011 textbooks, and they look appealing and it's clear how and where the video lesson codes work.  But I haven't found where to actually order these 2011 editions.  Any suggestions?

Does anyone know the main differences between the 2007 and 2011 editions? 

I would love to verify that the 2007 editions of algebra, geometry, and algebra 2 do indeed contain the video lesson codes.  Are most lessons covered by a Dr. Burger video lesson?

Thank you so much in advance for any information and insight you guys can provide!

My son is using Holt  Rinehart Winston Algebra 2 2007 (Charter school)  It mentions a "Premier Online Edition" with the videos (427 for Algebra 2).

Visit www.go.hrw.com  

We are not using any videos.

Update:  tried the keyword from the text and it does take you to Burger videos.

http://go.hrw.com/gopages/ma.html

Holt is now merged with McDougal-Little.

example:

http://www.amazon.com/Holt-McDougal-Algebra-Edward-Burger/dp/0030995744

I teach from the Holt 2007 Geometry text (but I use and prefer Lial for the Algebras).

I've found that using the student text as a primary source for homework to be lacking enough practice for most students.  The Holt 2007 series was actually designed to be used with the worksheet set (Reteach, Practice B, Problem Solving, Challenge...) with the Practice B being the primary homework source (but NOT only homework source) for each section.  The worksheets can be found on the Teacher's ONE STOP PLANNER (sometimes hard to find at a decent price).  The OSP also includes a digital TE, quizzes, tests, and worked out solutions to text odds.  Most of the 'odd' problems from the text have online helps/videos they directly relate too so the text work is more of a supplement.

The texts are also VERY busy.   My students use my lessons as primary lessons, then they videos/online helps as supplements and THEN the text lesson as a supplement.  This way the business of the text is not overwhelming... I would NOT want to be a studnet who had to learn from the text as a primary source!

The Algebra texts are a bit more focused in homework but again-- the worksheets were designed as primary homework.

I agree with Jann that the textbooks are VERY busy.  The videos are clear and well done, though. 

I don't really agree that the problems in the textbook are insufficient practice.  The Practice B pages are much less busy, but there are plenty of problems of all levels in the textbook.  You can get by without the worksheets.  At the end of each section of the geometry textbook are: Guided Practice (corresponds with videos), Practice and Problem Solving (trying the concepts without a matching video), Challenge Problems and Spiral Review Problems.   

There are also "Ready to Go On' quizzes every few sections, and a chapter Practice Test at the end of each chapter.  In an appendix, there are "Extra Practice" problems. There are also "Are You Ready" review problems at the beginning of each chapter to review specific concepts needed for the upcoming sections.

For less busy pages, I tended to use "Ready to Go On" and "Extra Practice" sections for assignments as much as possible.  Then I'd add on a few Challenge Problems and use the regular problems as extra practice when needed.

However, if you want the worksheets and cannot find the teacher One Stop, the Student One Stop (abundant and cheap) will have the blank practice B sheets, and the TE hardback book will have the answer keys to Practice B.

ETA: As with Jann, I have used Holt Geometry.  I have not used their Algebra books.

Thank you, MarkT, for writing with the links and info.  I have found the 2011 student editions, but I'm not having luck finding the 2011 teacher editions.

Jann in TX and JanetC, thank you both very much for all the advice and sharing your experiences with me.  Are the Holt Geometry textbooks you've used the 2007 editions?  Do you know how these Holt texts, authored by Dr. Burger, compare to the 2011 editions?  What has been added or changed? 

I'd like to verify that the Dr. Burger video lesson codes are in both editions.

Thanks for the heads up on the texts being busy and for the tips on how the texts are set up with problem sets, homework, quizzes, etc.  I'll look into the One Stop Planners for students (thanks for letting me know they're easier to find) in case we find our DD needs more problems than the texts provide.

I truly appreciate your help! 

I wouldn't pay more for the newer edition - which could be significant.

I agree with others that the text is quite busy - Algebra 2 seems better than the Algebra 1 book (sometimes a screen-shot of the graphing calculator helps).

It does give a large number of exercise problems.  It seems like more would just be punishment. Some sections have over 50 problems including the spiral review. It could use a few more word problems in each chapter replacing some of the regular problems. 

The answers to a fair number are in the appendix.

Note: Dr Burger is on many/most of the geometry videos, but some are by Freddie Renfro as well.  (We were LOF Geometry refugees when we started Holt, so didn't watch all the videos.)  If all Dr Burger is important to you, use Thinkwell.

the OP wanted more problems then Thinkwell provides.

It does give a large number of exercise problems.  It seems like more would just be punishment. Some sections have over 50 problems including the spiral review. It could use a few more word problems in each chapter replacing some of the regular problems. 

The answers to a fair number are in the appendix.

I agree. I can't imagine giving my kids more problems than in the text, lol. (we've been known to eliminate a few  :o)

My personal math skills are quite questionable, but my kids do rather well. Maybe I was the victim of too many practice problems, heh.