Menu

Could my average students go from BJU Math 7 to TT Algebra 1 without a year of Pre-Algebra?

Is this the new BJU 7? 

Assuming they show a mastery of most of the concepts and they take the placement test, I don't see a problem with it.

BJU 7 covers fractions, decimals, percents, and introduces a few algebra concepts. I would definitely give the placement test to all of them before you switch/start. You might find that one or more of them comfortably place into TT Algebra while a couple might miss just a couple too many problems. You can then spend a couple of weeks shoring up the weak areas and move on.

I don't think the problem will be the skipping. I do wonder WHY would you want to do this? The new BJU math is difficult. I'll give you that. Is it too difficult for the girls you homeschool and you are looking for easier? Or are you looking to just generally skip a year's progression? Or looking for something more hands-off?

Is this the new BJU 7? 

Assuming they show a mastery of most of the concepts and they take the placement test, I don't see a problem with it.

BJU 7 covers fractions, decimals, percents, and introduces a few algebra concepts. I would definitely give the placement test to all of them before you switch/start. You might find that one or more of them comfortably place into TT Algebra while a couple might miss just a couple too many problems. You can then spend a couple of weeks shoring up the weak areas and move on.

I don't think the problem will be the skipping. I do wonder WHY would you want to do this? The new BJU math is difficult. I'll give you that. Is it too difficult for the girls you homeschool and you are looking for easier? Or are you looking to just generally skip a year's progression? Or looking for something more hands-off?

No, it's the old BJU Fundamentals.  I am using it with a 7th grader and a repeating 9th grader who just.did.not.get.algebra and wasn't ready even for pre-algebra.  They are both doing fine with the old BJU, and they might do okay with the new one, but I already had the old on my shelf and it was a good fit for them.  I want to move the older girl into Algebra next year since she's "behind."  Since TT Algebra (I have first edition) moves slowly, I was just thinking they might both be able to make the leap.  FWIW, if they both do pre-algebra next year, we will likely use TT Pre-Algebra 2.0, which I already own.

I really wouldn't try it unless they pass the TT algebra 1 placement test. If they are very close you could possibly do some targeted review of problem spots.

It would also be reasonable to "test through" the pre-algebra by doing chapter tests (since you already own it) looking for holes to fill and then start algebra when done. If they aren't able to pass the chapter tests algebra really wouldn't be a good idea. 

Is summer school for math an option? If math is her only subject the older could probably work on pre-algebra over the summer.