Menu

Changes to Tennessee Dual Enrollment Grants!!

The Girls' Mom

I just wanted to pass along this information I received last night about the dual enrollment funding changes for the upcoming 2015/2016 school year.  I have sent an email to the DE coordinator for our CC for clarification.  Looks like my upcoming juniors may need to squeeze in a class this summer to lock in the current grant distribution :(

Consulting with the college we plan to use for dual enrollment, I was made aware there are changes coming. I thought other parents might like to know about the changes as well. Please direct any questions you have to the college you are planning to use. 

The DE grant website does reflect the new changes, but there is a detailed explanation from the coordinator of the DE grant program in Nashville included in the response copied below. 

http://www.tn.gov/CollegePays/mon_college/dual_enroll_grant_rules.htm  (nothing has really changed until you skip down to "payment at secondary institutions 2105/2016 academic year". 

I hope this helps someone,

~~~~~~~

Below is the response I received from the state.  A “trailer†term refers to summer as part of the fall/spring academic year.

If you should still have questions, please let me know.  I look forward to serving you and your daughter.

Blessings,
Financial Aid Counselor

From the State:
Students have to be classified, by their high school, as a junior or senior.  Summer is still a trailer term.  If the high school considers the student to be a junior the summer after their sophomore year, then the student could receive the award for that semester. However, if a rising junior takes advantage of the DEG for summer ’15, they will lock themselves into current award amounts…as opposed to the new award amounts, which don’t start until fall ’15…just as we are “locking†current JR (rising SR) into current award amounts.

Even though distribution is changing…a few things are not.  A student is still only eligible to be paid 2 courses in 1 semester if he/she meets HOPE eligibility requirements, students are still only eligible for a max of $1200 per academic year, and students are still only eligible to be paid for a max of 8 DE courses through the grant.  And a student’s HOPE Scholarship is still going to be reduced, once they are paid for course 5+, on a dollar for dollar basis (even though there’s ‘technically’ no dollar amount paid for course #4).

What’s changing is the disbursement of the $1200 per academic year.  The focus is going to switch to what number course the student is taking/being paid through the DEG, as opposed to the number of courses total.

Course 1  -  $500
Course 2  -  $500
Course 3  -  $200
Course 4  -  $0
Course 5  -  $100 per credit hour
Course 6  -  $100 per credit hour
Course 7  -  $100 per credit hour
Course 8  -  $100 per credit hour

No matter how the courses end up falling by semester, you have to look at the number of the course.