Menu

Motivate me to teach a foreign language

My DD 6 is really interested in other cultures and languages and when I used an English vocabulary word yesterday that she had never heard before, she asked if it was a Spanish word! She has asked to learn Spanish in the past, but I've never been able to persevere and do it.

DH would like me to teach a foreign language, said it has brain benefits, but isn't the kind of "principal" to demand that I teach anything so it's kind of left up to me...he said he didn't care what language I taught, he learned Latin and French in school. I kind of feel like I should be teaching some language as well, but I feel obligated to teach Spanish (which is what I studied in high school and we live in an area with a relatively high hispanic population.) and there are so many cheap resources for that, but we don't do video lessons well here, so trying the video lessons I have free just sounds like drudgery to me so I do nothing.

I was going to start Latin at about 3rd grade but that's more for vocabulary building than cultural awareness, in my opinion, My mom's opinion was that everyone should just learn English and then no one has to learn another language. Which kind of makes me want to teach another language, just because her opinion seems so egocentric. 

What language would you teach? And what simple "get 'er done" program would you suggest that doesn't require me to turn on the tv??

What language does your dd want to learn? I'd expose her to some of the options and ask her. If she's a good reader, Duolingo would be a good free option to try. My oldest started with little Spanish classes in the afternoon after her CC program. She's since decides to switch to French because "it's pretty." Whatever. Using free resources for it this far and if she invests herself in doing consistent independent work with it most days, I told her we'd then consider an in-person French class (her preferential learning style).

Do you know enough Spanish to read to her? Does your dh know enough Latin or French to read to her?

I could read in Spanish because I understand the pronunciations, but wouldn't be able to translate, I've lost most of my spanish. I think it's the same with DH and Latin/French, but I'd have to check.

What language does your dd want to learn? I'd expose her to some of the options and ask her. If she's a good reader, Duolingo would be a good free option to try. My oldest started with little Spanish classes in the afternoon after her CC program. She's since decides to switch to French because "it's pretty." Whatever. Using free resources for it this far and if she invests herself in doing consistent independent work with it most days, I told her we'd then consider an in-person French class (her preferential learning style).

She said she wanted to learn Spanish, but I haven't exposed her to anything else. She tried Duolingo and had no trouble reading it but isn't a strong typist so she got frustrated with it... maybe I should focus on typing first and then look at it again.

I could read in Spanish because I understand the pronunciations, but wouldn't be able to translate, I've lost most of my spanish. I think it's the same with DH and Latin/French, but I'd have to check.

Decent pronunciation is a good start. Suppose you begin with a 100 words in Spanish book? She can see what it means and you know how to pronounce it properly.

Is her reading in English good enough that the two of you could work on the 100 most used words list or a spelling program or something? Knowing the articles and prepositions and such is a good kick start to reading Spanish books. 

I would teach Spanish, since most likely my children will live and work in the U.S.

Since you took Spanish in high school, you probably know enough Spanish (or could relearn enough Spanish) to play games with your dear child.

Teach colors by:
--playing Candy Land
--Make a set a cards with the words written in their color and in black.  Match them.
rojo and rojo
azul and azul
amarillo and amarillo
Teach just a few at a time.

Teach numbers by playing HiHo Cherry-O, Uno, Bingo (use a set of numbers up to 20), Dominoes, or playing with multi-sided dice (from any gaming store).

Pull out the little plastic animals your child plays with, and identify them one at a time.  Take turns picking them up and naming them. 

Play restaurant, and order something in Spanish.  Limonada, por favor.  Leche, por favor.  Una hamburguesa, por favor.  Use the play food in the play kitchen.  Te gusta una limonada?  No, no me gusta. 

Organize a set of family pictures.  Put them in a little photo book.  Identify them: madre, padre, abuelo, los primos.

General vocabulary:  Play Concentration.  Lay the pictures face up, and you can collect it if you can say the word in Spanish. 

Play Scavenger Hunt: Find the cama (bed).  Find alfombra (rug).  Find el gato.  (Hopefully the cat isn't in his hiding place!)

---------------------------------------------------------
We have friends with 1st and 2nd grade boys who are learning German with Rosetta Stone Homeschool.  They were speaking  German phrases to me last week after swimming.

In talking with their mom:
--They follow the Rosetta Stone schedule that comes with the Homeschool pack.
--Each boy works on the computer for less than 15 minutes most days.
--You can put more than one account on the RS program.
--Apparently, (according to the schedule), they will do RS 1,2, and 3 in successive years, then repeat the series; then repeat the series again.
--RS can be bought for a discount through the Homeschool Buyer's Coop.

Duckens' ideas are great (except that I'm not much of a fan of RS), but if you're having trouble getting motivated to teach her yourself, you might see if there's a Spanish class she could take or hire a tutor to come to her.  I think it's usually best to have her work on a language she's interested in, so Spanish is a good choice.

Languages are definitely good to learn, but it's not required that you be the teacher.

If you are going to teach a language, teach one you are familiar or excited about. Teaching a language is a LOT of work, and teaching is harder work than learning, if you are teaching something you have not mastered, yet.

Teaching a language to fluency is a big deal. Both you and your husband put a lot of work into learning a language, under the tutelage of a teacher who had mastered the language. You are trying to teach all the other subjects, and now to learn a language to a higher level of fluency than you learned it in the past, and to teach it on top of that.

It's not egocentric to triage, and spend your time and money where it will give you the most payback,

I love the IDEA of all students learning multiple languages. In practicality though, it's often the most sensible IDEA to drop like a hot potato.

For many of us, it's not negligent to not teach foreign language. For some families with almost unlimited resources, or a parent fluent in a language, then of course they are held to higher standards of what they should provide.

Be honest about your resources, and triage. If you can fit in foreign language without shirking in another area, then go ahead. If your plate is already full or overflowing, find peace with letting it go as a pretty idea that just isn't practical for you and yours.

Thanks, I'll take another look at Duolingo - I've thought about Rosetta Stone but it's far too expensive for our budget at this time. I really like the idea of not having to be responsible for planning what to teach, even though I know that games would be one of the best ways to do so at this age. I already put together a history and science curriculum from scratch for this year and if I have to be responsible for something else, it would put me over the top. I will look at GSWS too.

if you decide to go it yourself with Spanish, I am barely functional in French and have had great luck with Galore Park's curriculum: So you really want to learn French. They seem to have a Spanish version. I think the teacher needs to know some of the language, but only some :) to facilitate learning. Other hive members recommend this program as well.