Menu

LOL! This is homeschooling!

"Eugene Onegin"?  If so, have her read the original by Pushkin as additional enjoyment.  (in English, I mean!) 

I love Russian literature, but am glad that now I may read it in English.  (no English allowed in graduate school!  :tongue_smilie: )

Yes!   Shall I share how you made my dd laugh at me?  ;)   I asked her if the opera was U-Gene something or other.   :tongue_smilie:  Obviously I do NOT know Russian. (She ended up telling me the whole storyline. )

She loves Russian and wants to major in Russian.   Is there a particular translation you would recommend?   

Yes!   Shall I share how you made my dd laugh at me?   ;)   I asked her if the opera was U-Gene something or other.   :tongue_smilie:  Obviously I do NOT know Russian. (She ended up telling me the whole storyline. )

She loves Russian and wants to major in Russian.   Is there a particular translation you would recommend?   

As I was studying all this in the very early 1980s, there may be others on the boards with more recent knowledge of what are considered the "good translations."  Mine is buried somewhere.  (Our house currently holds the contents of my parents' former house, as well as what we already had.  It's a physical nightmare!)

Perhaps you could post a separate thread asking for translation recommendations.

What is she using for her language-learning materials?  Would love to know!

I dearly love the Russian language, and regret so much that I do not know it as I once did.  I still sing with the Slavonic-language choir once a month at church. 

Here is a link to a DVD sold at Amazon.  I saw Mr. Hvorostovsky singing the role (with the Metropolitan Opera) at a simulcast a few years ago when the performance was broadcast live to select movie theatres around the country.  Perhaps this DVD is of that same year?  I went with my friend who is a concert pianist from St. Petersburg, and we LOVED it !

http://www.amazon.com/Tchaikovsky-Fleming-Hvorostovsky-Gergiev-Metropolitan/dp/B000YCLRBA

Here, also, is a YouTube link to a good performance of the famous "Polonaise" from Tchaikovsky's opera.  Wonderful piece!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19lJZGzOeEg

Please give my regards to your daughter, and my strong encouragement to stay with this beautiful language and wonderful culture!

Thanks for the links.   I will share them with her.  

She has a wonderful Russian tutor.  She is 1/2 way through http://ilearnrussian.com/en/textbooks/165-Russian-for-Beginners--Book-1.html  Her tutor has told her she will be using a different book starting n Dec, but I have no idea what it is.

Dd asked if you majored in Russian.   She really wants to major in Russian and Russian literature, but we are a little concerned about career/job options.

I'd also love to hear more about Russian curricula choices.  My daughter is 1/2 way through level 1 of Russian Step by Step, but we are not totally thrilled with it.  We need something with more explanation so that she can work a little independently between lessons with dh.  Right now she is very dependent on him.  I'll take a look at ilearnrussian.

Space Station, when my eldest studied Russian for his high school language, he used this textbook (although an earlier edition):

http://www2.gwu.edu/~slavic/golosa/

It is not a self-study course; however, self-study is not particularly great for learning a foreign language, anyway. 

If your daughter has an instructor -- (your DH is bilingual?) -- this series of books might appeal to you.  This link goes to the first in the series:

http://ruliststore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=130_102_151003&products_id=100670

I have not needed to survey the market for several years, but when last I did, there were few choices for English-speakers in high school that I could turn up.  I was not including children's products, such as "The Learnables".  I was relieved to discover the "Golosa" books, and equally relieved when the author granted me teacher access to the online files. 

What inspired your dd to learn Russian?  I would imagine it's not an easy language to learn, as you also have to learn a completely different script.  Well, good for her!

I've read Eugene Onegin translated by Charles Johnston and translated by James A. Falen.  I preferred the Falen translation over Johnston (and this is coming from someone who is "translation-picky"!)   Ooops, I tried to copy over the information about the translations from my blog post, but the brown background of my blog is showing up, so I'll simply link you to the post:  http://cleoclassical.blogspot.ca/search/label/Author%3A%20Pushkin  You probably don't want to read all my read-along posts, so check out the top post and the explanation is part way down.  This blog: http://tasseledbooks.com is from a native Russian speaker and she has some posts about Pushkin too, and perhaps some unique insights.

I loved Eugene Onegin so much, that I bought a big book of his poems and short stories.  I'm just itching to get to it.

All the best to your daughter in her Russian studies!

~ Cleo ~ 

Thanks for the links, orthodox6. I will have dh check them out. He learned Russian in college, used it for years in the business world, and at one point was fluent enough to do simultaneous translations, but that was a while ago. Still, he is fairly competent in Russian, if a little rusty. My dd wanted to learn it because she has decided that she wants to be an astronaut, and she saw some US astronauts interviewed who all said the hardest part of their training was learning Russian, so she decided to get a head start!

Ana has used:

Russian Alive ( Community College)

Russian Full Circle ( Strong emphasis on grammar and writing, very new curriculum.)

Troika ( Currently using this for 201)

Russian History:

A History of Russia by Riasonovosky ( Two volumes)

DD lives Russian. Rather than major in it, she decided to major in Linguistics with the goal of teaching English to Russian speakers. It's a far more relevant language than is currently realized in the US.

We, as her mama and daddy, are really nervous about the travel abroad planned for next year, but I think she has decided to go to Latvia instead of Russia.