Menu

Can we discuss CAULKING for bathtubs? I have had to rechaulk

the kids bathtub TWICE in the past year. I've done what the directions say. I've scrapped everything clean, vacuumed up the mess, put down the caulk onto the dry tile, let it dry for a week before using. IT'S PEELING UP AGAIN!!!! I just did it two weeks ago!!!! HELP!?!?!?

So, tell me what brand do you use that you've had success with.

I also have to recaulk the bathtub. The guy my cheap landlord hired put it in without filling the bathtub first and when it dried, there was a big gap at the top where water has now dripped behind. There is now mold in there and I need to fix it. My landlord would just send out the same man to fix his original mistake so I will just do it myself to make sure it gets done right. I also want to know what the best kind of caulking is for this type of project. It is our only bathroom and we must be able to use it the day after caulking the tub.

Are you using the right kind of caulk for your tub?

I had the same problem. I was trying to use silicone caulk on a steel tub, but it does not stick. I ended up finding out from a guy at our hardware store that I needed to use the kind of caulk for steel tubs.

Seriously, I think most caulking problems come from using the wrong caulk.

I wish I could think of the name of what I used, but you'd find it at hardware stores.

Mary

We had this happen in our old shower. My best advice is to clean the surface real well with rubbing alcohol and let that dry before you apply the new caulk. The alcohol gets off any of the residue from the old caulk that may not come off with normal soap and water.

After we used the alcohol we never had problems with the caulk peeling off again.

HTH

the kids bathtub TWICE in the past year. I've done what the directions say. I've scrapped everything clean, vacuumed up the mess, put down the caulk onto the dry tile, let it dry for a week before using. IT'S PEELING UP AGAIN!!!! I just did it two weeks ago!!!! HELP!?!?!?

So, tell me what brand do you use that you've had success with.

I'm stumped here! I've recaulked and had no problems. :-)

I prefer the white silicone caulk with built-in antimicrobials specifically for kitchen and bath. And I only wait about 12 hrs to use the tub, too.

My only thought is that you may be putting in too much. You want to make caulk a *thin* bead that you really press into place with a damp finger, removing all the excess. Most people put at least 4xs too much, but it really should be pretty indistinguishable from a grout line when you're done.