Menu

Spelling Workout - Where are the spelling rules?!

No More Perfect

This is my first year using Spelling Workout. We are using level B. In the teacher's edition, each lesson says toe "introduce the spelling rule." Question is, WHERE are the spelling rules listed? I don't see them anywhere in the teacher's edition or in the student's workbook. Please help! I am sure that it is there somewhere but my overwhelmed brain just is not finding it.

This is my first year using Spelling Workout. We are using level B. In the teacher's edition, each lesson says toe "introduce the spelling rule." Question is, WHERE are the spelling rules listed? I don't see them anywhere in the teacher's edition or in the student's workbook. Please help! I am sure that it is there somewhere but my overwhelmed brain just is not finding it.

I use the 1994 version. The spelling rules are on the 2nd page of each lesson of the workbook. I do not use the teachers guides.

I have the 2002 version.

Apparently, the "rules" are what they call tips. I am disappointed and underwhelmed because those "tips" are NOT rules. The only other spelling program I have used before was AAS and those did use actual spelling rules. I quit that program because it took too long and I want something that doesn't involve tiles. Ugh. I guess I will need to start looking for another spelling program AGAIN.

I used AAS 1-3 with DS before switching over to Spelling Workout C (2002) this year.  

Some observations... I took for granted how much AAS engaged DS in really thinking about words as he spelled them.  I came to this realization about 6 lessons in on Spelling Workout when DS missed 5 words out of 15 on our end of week spelling test, despite doing all the practice work and playing with the words in my Spellboard app.  

The exercises, in Spelling Workout, IMO, are not enough.  DS likes doing them, but they don't translate to understanding the spelling rules, or noting the exceptions to that rule.  

I am using Spelling Workout a bit differently now, with much better results (thanks to advice here).  First day: DS completes first exercise in book (which is usually sorting the words by the rules they follow).  Second Day: He writes each spelling word, in cursive (makes him slow down and think), 2-3 times. Third Day: Practice test and review of words he missed/why -- copy those words 5 times each circling the trouble spot.  Fourth Day: Spelling test.  I note words he misses on the test and carry them forward into the next week for further review.  I do like that Spelling Workout has a review of "rules" every five lessons (I think that's right).  

In other words, despite the way Spelling Workout looks, it is not independent.  I am sitting with DS at the start of each day to review rules and words that appear to be exceptions.  It's a lot like AAS without the prompts.   :)

Stella