Menu

Hairline fracture in a finger?

DragonFaerie

DD may have a hairline fracture in her finger.  We went to the Urgent Care for x-rays, but the doctor there said she couldn't be sure if it was a fracture or not.  She buddy-taped the finger and then wrapped DD's hand up really well and told us we'd have to wait to hear back from the radiologist.  That was this morning, and now they're telling us we might not hear back about it until Monday.  Is there anything we should do in the meantime?  DD is a musician, and I want to make sure that we don't do any permanent damage to her finger.  Is that even a concern with just a hairline fracture?  What would the orthopedist even do with it if it is fractured?  Am I worrying for nothing?

Opening paragraph edited.

Did you take her for x-ray the same day that it happened?  Unless it is an obviously serious injury, best results come from waiting twenty-four hours before taking an x-ray.  I never would have thought that; however, staff at our orthopedic clinic explained that x-rays are better after some of the initial swelling subsides.  (I and some of my children have many fractures in our histories, unfortunately.) 

If I may speak from personal experience, it is far better to hold off on playing her instrument until you know what has happened, and until any injury has healed properly.  One of my primary instruments was piano, and when I was in the eighth grade, I was an idiot to beat all idiots.  I fractured a finger during the competition season.  I was too stubborn to wait until the finger had healed, and too stubborn to pay attention to my parents or teacher.  I reworked the fingering for a concerto so that I could play it with only nine fingers and entered a particular competition anyway.  The finger never healed properly.  As I said, I was the consummate idiot at age thirteen.

My only other advice is to work with an orthopedist, rather than an "urgent care" facility, where orthopedic expertise likely is not strong.

It happened last night, and we went for the x-rays this morning, so about 18 hours later, give or take.  With our insurance, I'm not sure I can take her to an orthopedist without a referral.  The urgent care is also a doctor's office with our insurance, but I don't think they'll refer her until they hear back from the radiologist.  Are we okay waiting until Monday or do I need to try to circumvent the system tomorrow?  I don't want to over- or under-react.

I think you're okay waiting until Monday. My dd had a fracture in the growth plate, not the bone. We just buddy-taped it at home for about a week after the original injury, and when it still wasn't feeling better, we finally went to the doctor. Her ped wanted the ortho to read the x-ray and he diagnosed the break in the growth plate. The treatment? Buddy-tape for 3 weeks, then x-ray again to make sure it healed properly. It did. And we learned how to buddy-tape correctly--several shorter pieces of tape, cotton between fingers. Don't want to wrap it with one long piece as you can easily get it too tight.

Opening paragraph edited.

Did you take her for x-ray the same day that it happened?  Unless it is an obviously serious injury, best results come from waiting twenty-four hours before taking an x-ray.  I never would have thought that; however, staff at our orthopedic clinic explained that x-rays are better after some of the initial swelling subsides.  (I and some of my children have many fractures in our histories, unfortunately.) 

If I may speak from personal experience, it is far better to hold off on playing her instrument until you know what has happened, and until any injury has healed properly.  One of my primary instruments was piano, and when I was in the eighth grade, I was an idiot to beat all idiots.  I fractured a finger during the competition season.  I was too stubborn to wait until the finger had healed, and too stubborn to pay attention to my parents or teacher.  I reworked the fingering for a concerto so that I could play it with only nine fingers and entered a particular competition anyway.  The finger never healed properly.  As I said, I was the consummate idiot at age thirteen.

My only other advice is to work with an orthopedist, rather than an "urgent care" facility, where orthopedic expertise likely is not strong.

That's another concern.  She is a clarinetist in both a homeschool band and in a youth symphony.  She just auditioned and made the symphony, too, and now we have to tell them she can't play?  Ugh.  I sure hope this is just a sprain, and she can play in a few days.  But, I do know better than to push it.  She skipped band and her clarinet lesson today.  Symphony is Sunday.  She'll go and just not play if we don't have any answers by then.  She also plays piano, but that's just kind of "on the side."  She can easily take a break from that if need be.