Menu

Dividing by Zero

shinyhappypeople

Yes.

The way I teach this in developmental math classes is to think about cookies. 0 divided by 4 is like splitting 0 cookies to 4 people. That works just fine mathematically, none of them get any cookies. 4 divided by 0 is like splitting 4 cookies to 0 people, which is patently ridiculous. 

In later classes, we explain it because division is the inverse operation to multiplication. Saying "What is 8 divided by 4?" is really saying "What number will give 8 when multiplied by 4?" or in algebraic language, 4x = 8. This works fine when we try to solve 4x = 0, but when we try to solve 0x = 4, we run into the difficulty that any number multiplied by 0 gives 0, so there is no solution to this equation. 

Yes.

The way I teach this in developmental math classes is to think about cookies. 0 divided by 4 is like splitting 0 cookies to 4 people. That works just fine mathematically, none of them get any cookies. 4 divided by 0 is like splitting 4 cookies to 0 people, which is patently ridiculous.

In later classes, we explain it because division is the inverse operation to multiplication. Saying "What is 8 divided by 4?" is really saying "What number will give 8 when multiplied by 4?" or in algebraic language, 4x = 8. This works fine when we try to solve 4x = 0, but when we try to solve 0x = 4, we run into the difficulty that any number multiplied by 0 gives 0, so there is no solution to this equation.

That might be one of the most useful things I've ever read. Thanks!

Yes.

I taught my son the division by zero concept and dividing 0 by a number using the exact same cookie analogy!! He was 5 at the time and it has stuck to his mind especially well :)