Menu

Latin supplemental readings?

BentWren

I've been bravely teaching my ds and myself Latin for the last couple of years, beginning in elementary grades with very easy resources. Now we've started in on a free Latin course, D'Ooge's Latin for Beginners. In case you don't know it (and why would you, I certainly didn't a couple months ago), it's a traditional out-of-print junior high to high school text, not as challenging as Wheelock, but possibly more challenging than the Oxford and Cambridge courses.

Everybody says to "do readings!" too, and we're far along enough in D'Ooge to start, but I don't know what's best. I found some super-easy starter readings, but I'm wonder if anyone can recommend anything in particular? What do you think of combining a basic grammar-translation method with "Lingua Latina"?

Hope this makes sense...tx

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but the Visual Latin website has some OOP Latin readers that they have available for free download on their site.  You can find the descriptions here.

I've downloaded them but haven't looked at them yet, so I can't really say how easy/difficult they are. 

I'm not sure about using Lingua Latina as a reader - I think if you're far enough along for a reader, the text of LL might be too easy.  It's very repetitive (which is what is needed for that style of teaching). 

Then again, it could be a good and easy review and confidence builder.

There's also the Ecce Romani series, which is similar in style. 

I've been bravely teaching my ds and myself Latin for the last couple of years, beginning in elementary grades with very easy resources. Now we've started in on a free Latin course, D'Ooge's Latin for Beginners. In case you don't know it (and why would you, I certainly didn't a couple months ago), it's a traditional out-of-print junior high to high school text, not as challenging as Wheelock, but possibly more challenging than the Oxford and Cambridge courses.

Everybody says to "do readings!" too, and we're far along enough in D'Ooge to start, but I don't know what's best. I found some super-easy starter readings, but I'm wonder if anyone can recommend anything in particular? What do you think of combining a basic grammar-translation method with "Lingua Latina"?

Hope this makes sense...tx

Lingua Latina is a fantastic reader.  I doubt that all of the first book will be too easy, and even if so, the second Lingua Latina book, "Lingua Latina: Roma Aeterna" certainly won't be too easy.  I particularly like the 2nd book, it provides a lot to read in a somewhat simplified version of authentic Latin authors.  For example, it has a simplified prose version of a bit of the Aeneid, which is very fun to read.

There's also all kinds of old out-of-copyright free readers from the 19th century you can find on the internet, but I'd start with LL.

Thank you to everyone!

My biggest worry was that Lingua Latina would be too difficult. I know it's easy in the beginning, but I didn't know how quickly it became difficult. I think we'll go with that.

I found this page, which seems great! http://hiberna-cr.wikidot.com/reading-material

Does anyone have any experience using these texts?

Level 1: Absolute beginners
  • Cornelia (Mima Maxey, 1933): this book provides a continuous text beginning at the easiest level possible but advancing as the story unfolds. Of all the listed texts, this one is the easiest.
  • <momentarily offline> Carolus et Maria (Marjorie J. Fay, 1933): this book starts at the easiest level possible and provides a continuous story.
  • <momentarily offline> Julia - A Latin Reading Book (Maud Reed, 1941): For absolute beginners as well, difficulty level increases continually, with a few passages from Latin poets interspersed, however (can be safely ignored).
  • Narrationes Faciles de Historia Romanorum: a large selection of easy texts concerning Roman history (or legend) compiled by John P. Piazza. Scroll to Latin history narratives.
  • Narrationes Faciles de Mythologia Romana Graecaque: a selection of easy texts concerning Roman and Greek mythology compiled by John P. Piazza. Scroll to Latin mythology narratives.
  • Colloquia Latina (Benjamin D'Ooge, 1888): a series of dialogues for beginners.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any experience using these texts?

Level 1: Absolute beginners
  • Cornelia (Mima Maxey, 1933): this book provides a continuous text beginning at the easiest level possible but advancing as the story unfolds. Of all the listed texts, this one is the easiest.

No experience here, but I remembered that Dwane Thomas provides a free reading of Cornelia on his Visual Latin site.

I've been collecting links to free texts. I've been so happy to find some really great free readers! These are the ones we're dipping into, trying to figure out what works best for us. No verdict yet but we one of our favorites so far is Julia.

These are all easy enough for a student 20 pages into D'Ooge (like my ds and I) to get into, in our experience.

A New Latin Primer

Julia - A Latin Reading Book

Lingua Latina

Cornelia

Carolus et Maria

D’Ooge, Colloquia Latina <-- check it out...D'Ooge has his own reader.

Ludus Latinus

I Love D'Ooge! Thanks for sharing the links to the reader, I had discovered some of those but not the Colloquia.

I'm working through D'Ooge and Linney's Latin Class for myself while teaching Latina Christiana to my daughter, but I've contemplated dropping that and going with the vintage texts for both of us. How is that going for you? I've pulled some of the D'Ooge activities for her because LC isn't enough for her but it's only been supplemental so far.