Menu

Compare BJU Earth Science to Apologial Science

We have Apologia General Science for grade 8.. just started it.. So far it seems ok.. the labs seem... meh....

My cousin's Co Op uses BJU science (her child is in grade 6) and she raves about it.. 

How does BJU Earth Science grade 8 (4th ed) compare with Apologia?? 

I am considering switching...is BJU a strong program for grade 8-12?

AND..

How does BJU science for grade 5 compare to the Apologia Chemistry/Physics.. I'm really not happy with the experiments etc in this book

thanks

I think BJU is great info and a strong program.  But it's very technical with terminology.  I find it hard to follow, because it reads like a dictionary.  The AG doesn't always go in order either and some of it is just busy work, IMO.  It's dry.  Good info, but very dry.

Yes, the BJU is very strong.  It also assumes a qualified teacher, frankly, and will end up expensive.  You might consider a kit for the labs and getting the dvd or online video lessons to make it easier to implement.  (unless you have a very book-y child who just likes reading and writing answers)  

Alternately, you could ditch the Apologia GS and go up to the biology, which you'll probably find a better fit.  It's a common choice for 8th grade.

General Science is for grade 7.  Physical Science is for grade 8.  Maybe you should upgrade...my 7th grader is doing Physical Science and loving it.  He loves the layout, and he says the experiments are so easy to do.  I agree.  They actually work.  The book is high quality and Dr. Wile's writing style is very accessible.  We are total fans now.  :o)  I mean, I'm sure there are one or two little ittie bittie things that we may not love in the book, but overall it's probably the best Science curriculum we have used.  

We use the BJU online science. We've done 6,7 and now 8 (earth science). We do most of the labs. I agree with the above poster that is expensive. My kids love it though, and (I'm embarrassed to admit this), begged to do it this year after an attempt with TOPS. I wish we had bought the DVD instead of the online though. The online class can't be sped up, and we could easily watch at 1.2x to save time. I'm a Yankee. We talk fast. :-)