Menu

Need help with 10yo dd reading comprehension

I am noticing that my dd struggles with reading.  She can decode words, but it seems like she is having trouble with comprehension.  I have to choose novels very carefully for her, or she will not understand it at all.  :(  Should I consider doing a reading curriculum like Christian Light or something for her?  I am at a loss as to how to bring her comprehension skills up.  Advice?

You could have her alternate between reading aloud and narrating after she completes a passage. Then let her choose her own free-reads (non-school reads) from what you might consider a little bit below her decoding level, to improve her fluency and her confidence. Show her how to look up unfamiliar words in a dictionary, and encourage her to keep a journal of new words. A thesaurus might help, too. It is nice to have these tools to use, but it is slow to have to look up a word when you are trying to savor a story, so its also good to make sure she is getting things that won't overwhelm her ability to make meaning out of the language.

You might look into formal vocabulary lessons. I have not tried it yet, but have heard good things about English from the Roots Up. 

Children have to comprehend something like 90 percent of the vocabulary in a passage in order to comprehend what they are reading. Though I am only doing a light first-grade year, vocabulary is my main focus. Just vocab and phonics. I do not even require my dc to read aloud to me from his schoolbooks. I let him look at comic books, and I read to him. I am trying to get into the habit of explaining vocabulary as it comes up. 

I hope I've given you something to work with. : )

I have a set of the Original McGuffey's Eclectic Series 1836... they were reprinted by Mott Media. I started looking over them again, and they look like something I can use to help with her comprehension and vocabulary. The stories are short, but are so rich! Love!

I like the 1879 version even better, you might want to compare, but you could start with what you have.

If you would like to use a planned curriculum, Christian Light Reading might actually be helpful. We are using the third grade level this year. The students read a story to themselves on the first day, and then read the same story aloud on the second day. Each day has workbook questions that cover vocabulary, using a glossary, inference, comprehension, etc. I never thought I'd use a reading curriculum, but I'm finding it really helpful so far (DS10 has trouble with reading comprehension).

DD12 is using CLE level 500 (moving quickly, since it is below her grade level). She is an eager reader who has been devouring some very large books, but she struggles with things like inference and logical reasoning.  I'm finding CLE to be really helpful for her as well.

I'm only plugging CLE because you mentioned it in your initial post. You can see a lot of samples on their website.