Menu

Implementing memory work for first grade: CC or something else

mel13

We are entering our 2nd yr of homeschooling entering first grade now so I am new at this, but I am hoping to get pointers on finding memory work at an age appropriate level. My thought is to do CC at home (there are no groups near me where I live overseas) simply for the already-selected memory work. It seems that otherwise I would just be piecing together things for my child to memorize, which I have done as far as Bible verses. But for memory work in other subjects I sort of don't have a clue where to start and devising my own list seems difficult. What have you done and what has worked for you?

I've been where you are and it is hard to know where to start.

I started the same way, with a few poems from FLL, then I've added more poems (some Stevenson, some others) then I added the math facts I wanted them to have down that year (parts of the plant and their function for one example) and some grammar facts.

This year we will memorize many astronomy facts.

Grab Hannahs free DL, and start from there, then add in key things you are studying this year - history terms/timeline, etc.

It's a good place to start.

We use the Living Memory book, the collections included in the What Your X-grader Needs to Know books, and random things that strike her fancy. Poems, speeches, science facts, etc.

CC has apps you can download with all of their materials (all 3 cycles) and you can pick and choose if you like. If you are not in the US, this may be a much more cost-effective way to go:)

Adding yet another recommendation forThe Living Memory.  We also use and appreciate the Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization from IEW.  The kids just absorb it in the car.  This past spring I read How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare, and in addition to reigniting a love of Shakespeare, it went over some nuts and bolts practices of teaching memory work.  Worth the read!

Just because I'm having a big memory work nerd moment this year - here's a super inspiring talk on memorization and the soul- in case you're the podcast type.  ; )

http://www.bakersfieldconference.org/2013/04/free-download-2012-workshop-session.html