Menu

Does anyone know difference of the three editions of Jacob's Geometry?

I am curious about the difference among all the three editions of Jacob's Geometry. Can anyone who has used them or seen them compare them, please? I have even the third edition from the library. I bought the first edition. Second edition is the one I do not own, but feel more interested in because it might be a good comprise between first and third. Thanks!

I have never seen the 1st edition.

There is a *huge* difference between the 2nd and 3rd editions.  There are cosmetic differences in that the 3rd edition is in full color.  But the biggest differences are in the way the teaching meshes with the problem sets.  The problem sets of the 2nd edition are more straightforward and more obviously tied to what the chapter is trying to teach.  They progress logically from easy to difficult, from what the student already knows to what is being taught and in this way are very similar to how Jacobs Algebra works.  It is also apparent that Mr Jacobs intended all of the problems to be completed in a problem set.  The problem sets in the 3rd edition don't progress as logically and according to Mr Jacobs himself, he did not intend for every problem to be done.  There are certainly too many problems to assign all at once.  There was a list floating around the forums (that I even had at one time) where Mr Jacobs lists what problems should be assigned.

Oh, and most important for some folks, the 2nd edition has oodles of proof practice, whereas the proofs assigned in the 3rd edition are sporadic and generally on the more difficult side.  I read an explanation from Mr Jacobs about why he removed the proofs and it had something to do with the idea that having students write trivial proofs was a waste of time.  I've found, however, that students don't necessarily find the easier proofs to be trivial at all and that they are a good confidence builder and stepping stone to the harder ones.

I have used both the 2nd and 3rd editions extensively.  The bottom line is that I can teach successfully from the 2nd and have major problems with the 3rd.  

• Like 7

EKS (Kai), I miss your beautiful avatar! I always feel some warmth whenever I saw it. So sad it is gone.

You have been very helpful. Can you find solution manual for 2nd edition? I wonder if I can wing it just by doing first edition and add in some third edition. Or you can sell your set to me. I am not sure yet, though. We are pretty early on in Jacob's Algebra. Ds can do one lesson a day without feeling overwhelmed as when he did AOPS Prealgebra and Dociani Prealgebra. Jacob's is such a gentle and logical teacher!

• Like 1

I miss my avatar too!  I've saved it on my computer and hope to bring it back someday.

As far as I know, there is no solution manual for the 2nd edition, just an answer key, though the answer key frequently has information in it that is similar to a solution.  But the ease of use of the 2nd edition more than makes up for the lack of solution manual.

If you're looking for gentleness and logic, I'd definitely use the 2nd edition. It's possible that the 1st edition is fairly similar to the 2nd, but I haven't seen it, so I don't know.

My husband has taught classes using both the second and third editions.  I believe he'd agree with Kai's assessments.  Our daughter started an out of the home class where the instructor (a poor one as it turned out) used the third edition.  On coming home to complete Geometry with my husband, my daughter elected to use the second edition as its approach made more sense to her.

SOLD!  I do have a set of  Jacobs’ Geometry, 2nd ed., student text and teacher's guide for sale.  Send me a personal message if interested.

Regards,

Kareni

• 1 year later...