Menu

Equation for "weighting" scores for grades

How is this done?

For example, math LESSONS and tests:

Lessons 40%

Tests 60 %

What about 3 components? 

Thanks. 

I'm not sure I understand the question. Yes, that's one way a math grade could be determined -- by weighting tests 60% and lessons (is that homework?) 40%. Of course there are many other ways as well.

If you have three components, they could be weighted in many different configurations. For example:

Final Exam 50%

Term Paper 25%

Homework 25%

Is that what you are asking?

Yes.  But, "how" do you work the formula for 2 or 3 components.    Math lessons - what the student works each day.  Instruction is given and they work the day's math problems for that lesson. 

Anyway, what is the formula for weighting different percentages? 

Yes.  But, "how" do you work the formula for 2 or 3 components.    Math lessons - what the student works each day.  Instruction is given and they work the day's math problems for that lesson. 

Anyway, what is the formula for weighting different percentages? 

You simply take the percentage score for each component and multiply it by the "weighting" percentage. For example, say the student scored 85% average on "Lessons" and 75% average on "Tests".

Then the weighted score would be (0.40 x 0.85) + (0.60 x 0.75) = 0.79. So her total score would be 79%, using the previously mentioned weighting formula.

ETA: It may help to think of it as taking the Lessons score four times and the Test score six times, adding them all together, and then dividing by 10. It's just taking the average, but giving more weight to the Test.

Cosmos,  THANKS!  So, you take the calculated average and multiply by the chosen percentage.  Is that correct?

Debbie,  Yes, I can do that - just wanting to make sure the grade is fair based on all components and her time spent/worked on material.   Appreciate it.

Cosmos,  THANKS!  So, you take the calculated average and multiply by the chosen percentage.  Is that correct?

Yes, take the calculated average for each component and then multiply by the weighting percentage.

Another method you often see is to weight individual tests rather than the average. For example:

Midterm 1 = 20%

Midterm 2 = 20%

Final Exam = 40%

Homework = 20%

But if you have lots of tests going into the "Test" component rather than just two or three, and you want them all to count equally, then you would probably average them into one Test score first before weighting.

Re: math

She finished Saxon algebra 1 which has 120 lessons approx. And 30 tests.

I would like to average the tests and apply maybe 60 %. Then average 30 lessons separate from tests and apply 40% weight to lessons.

Help. Lol. Then do I average the 2 scores together?

Re: math

She finished Saxon algebra 1 which has 120 lessons approx. And 30 tests.

I would like to average the tests and apply maybe 60 %. Then average 30 lessons separate from tests and apply 40% weight to lessons.

Help. Lol. Then do I average the 2 scores together?

Compute test average based on 100% for perfect. Compute lesson average based on 100% for perfect.

Grade = 0.6* test average + 0.4 *lesson average

Makes a nice prealgebra problem you could give your student.

I do things a big differently.

I give 5 points for daily lessons (some subjects 10 points)

I give 20 points for quizzes and most writing assignments

I give 50 points for a research paper

I give 100 points for a test

With this system.  A point is a point.

I am really struggling with how to do grades as this is basically our first year with them. 

When you use that system at the end of the year do you add up total points and total points missed then divide to get your grade??

I am really struggling with how to do grades as this is basically our first year with them. 

When you use that system at the end of the year do you add up total points and total points missed then divide to get your grade??

If you are doing this system, you would divide points earned by total points available. 

I do things a big differently.

I give 5 points for daily lessons (some subjects 10 points)

I give 20 points for quizzes and most writing assignments

I give 50 points for a research paper

I give 100 points for a test

With this system.  A point is a point.

I did something similar with a coop literature class I taught.  However, I only had weekly assignments, not daily.  If I used a points system at home I would want to make sure that doing well on daily lessons didn't bury poor performance on more significant written assignments, quizzes and tests. 

One class my kids are in has this grading system:

25% weekly homework average (most are either 100 or a zero.  In other words, there was either a credible attempt or not.)

25% quizzes (lowest quiz score is dropped and the rest are averaged)

25% midterm

25% final exam

You simply take the percentage score for each component and multiply it by the "weighting" percentage. For example, say the student scored 85% average on "Lessons" and 75% average on "Tests".

Then the weighted score would be (0.40 x 0.85) + (0.60 x 0.75) = 0.79. So her total score would be 79%, using the previously mentioned weighting formula.

ETA: It may help to think of it as taking the Lessons score four times and the Test score six times, adding them all together, and then dividing by 10. It's just taking the average, but giving more weight to the Test.

This is good information, Cosmos.  Thanks so much.

This shows you how inexperienced I am at this.   I thought there was a "standard" way of assigning weight.  For the replies, there is more than one.

:)

There is no standard at all. In fact, if you go to a public high school and ask the teachers, you will find all different weighting systems even within a school, probably even within a department. 

We believe class participation is mandatory and homework or practice problems are an opportunity to learn, thus my answer of only grading tests. Typically grading participation and homework is done to try to get students to do their homework and participate (in public schools) or to raise grades that aren't coming out as high as desired based solely on tests. 

I do grade classes such as Literature based on writing because there are no tests, but in truth, for writing, like other homework I require it to be done and redone until it is perfect, so the grade is always an A.

The good news is, there is no wrong answer. Now you know. The way you weight your grades is the way that works for your family. 

We believe class participation is mandatory and homework or practice problems are an opportunity to learn, thus my answer of only grading tests. Typically grading participation and homework is done to try to get students to do their homework and participate (in public schools) or to raise grades that aren't coming out as high as desired based solely on tests. 

Especially this.

I'd prefer to grade based only on either examinations or (for more advanced courses) fewer, but more comprehensive problem sets. The issue is that if I grade on only examinations, the majority of students will do no studying until possibly the week of the examination, and then they will all fail.