Menu

Thyroid question

Jaybee

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 14 years ago. After the initial adjustments finding the right med dosage, and possibly one other adjustment later, I was on the same dosage with no problems for years. Enter menopause. About a year and a half ago, I started having hyperthyroid symptoms, and sure enough, needed to adjust the med down. Then down again, then down again, up a bit, and back down again. And down again. I am now on 62.5 down from 112.5. Thankfully, I have a good endocrinologist who is taking it all seriously and working with me on this; he told me it might take a year or so to get it stabilized. (I am right now at one year w/out periods.) In the past few months, I have also lost 25 lbs., :hurray: with a goal of losing about 25 more. But I have lost weight before, and it has had no effect on my thyroid med needs. I feel like I will still probably need it lowered again--some of the symptoms persist. The last two times, I was within 'normal' range, but barely, and it didn't change a whole lot between the dosage changes. When I looked up articles to read about this, everything seemed to talk about how women had the reverse happen. Anyway, have any of you dealt with this kind of thing?

I gave been able to come off of armour thyroid since menopause. Doc said something like " huh, I didn't expect that," so it took him by surprise, too. I am still getting blood tests every three months just in case it is temporary.

I've begun to wonder if this will happen. Or if it will go the other direction and I will be hyperthyroid. Do you mind telling me how long you have been off of it completely?

I want this problem, LOL!  Maybe I just need to wait for menopause?

ETA:  Didn't mean to be flippant about your medical problem; I do hope you get it resolved.

was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 14 years ago. After the initial adjustments finding the right med dosage, and possibly one other adjustment later, I was on the same dosage with no problems for years. Enter menopause. About a year and a half ago, I started having hyperthyroid symptoms, and sure enough, needed to adjust the med down. Then down again, then down again, up a bit, and back down again. And down again. I am now on 62.5 down from 112.5. Thankfully, I have a good endocrinologist who is taking it all seriously and working with me on this; he told me it might take a year or so to get it stabilized. (I am right now at one year w/out periods.) In the past few months, I have also lost 25 lbs., :hurray: . But I have lost weight before, and it has had no effect on my thyroid med needs. I feel like I will still probably need it lowered again--some of the symptoms persist. The last two times, I was within 'normal' range, but barely, and it didn't change a whole lot between the dosage changes. When I looked up articles to read about this, everything seemed to talk about how women had the reverse happen. Anyway, have any of you dealt with this kind of thing?

Ha, well, that is definitely not a problem! But it does involve some hard work. It's not just falling off by itself. My hormones have always been a little wonky--when everybody else complained about pregnancy, that is when my hormones evened out and I felt less emotional and had less food cravings. One benefit of menopause that I am experiencing is that food cravings have been greatly reduced. That doesn't mean I don't still have to use discipline, but it does make it easier when I don't have that "If I don't have something sweet, gooey, and preferably chocolate, I'm gonna' die" feeling.

This is good to know; something to look forward to, LOL!  Hunger never gets me; it's always cravings for sugary crap.

Ha, well, that is definitely not a problem! But it does involve some hard work. It's not just falling off by itself. My hormones have always been a little wonky--when everybody else complained about pregnancy, that is when my hormones evened out and I felt less emotional and had less food cravings. One benefit of menopause that I am experiencing is that food cravings have been greatly reduced. That doesn't mean I don't still have to use discipline, but it does make it easier when I don't have that "If I don't have something sweet, gooey, and preferably chocolate, I'm gonna' die" feeling.