Menu

Creating forensic anthropology class--how am I doing?

Dd15 wants to be a forensic anthropologist. I think it's disgusting, but anyway...

These are the books I'm having her read: The Bone Lady: Life as a Forensic Anthropologist

Mary H. Manheim

Death's Acre: Inside the Legendary Forensic Lab the Body Farm Where the Dead Do Tell Tales

The Body Farm (A Scarpetta Novel)

Patricia Cornwell

Forensic Science: An introduction to scientific and investigative techniques by Stuart H. James

Any other ideas on how to make this credit worthy?

My dd is loving this coursera classhttps://www.coursera.org/course/ntufsc forensic science from a university in Singapore. It may be too far along to get a certificate but you could still access videos which she has loved.

I read a lot of forensic books. One of my favourite series is very light and fluffy by Sharyn McCrumb, the Elizabeth MacPhearson series, these are probably too girly but you might enjoy them!

Kathy Reich's of Bones fame writes a good series. Very little except the main character name in comman with tv show.

The Scarpatta series is excellent until roughly the Bone farm.

Can't think of more now......

I will have her take a look at all these!! She LOVES Bones.

Now I have another question. I was just reading the "why does it matter" thread, and I'm worried about her choice in profession. She is YE, and assuming her mind won't be changed, will she be able to properly study and perform the tasks and thoughts required of an anthropologist? Or can she believe YE to be "truth" and still pursue this career? I admit to know next to nothing on the subject of anthropology.

You know, I think she should forge ahead regardless. If her mind is changed it will be changed. If it isn't it isn't. Maybe she will have some intellectual conflict and maybe she won't. Not everyone is existentially conflicted. DNA analysis is not dependent on an old earth view. Its either a match or it is not a match.

Thank you so much for this. She is so interested in this field, and I really didn't want to put a hamper on it for her.

Hmm, my child is taking a Principles of Bio Medical Science class in school. I can link you to the program. It may help. This class is VERY hands on and is centered around a narrative about a woman who was found dead. We don't know if she was murdered (and the class changes a bit year to year so it is a mystery!) This is the first in a series of 4 bio med classes. The class investigates her death. Along the way they create a portfolio of jobs related to biomed. So far my son has written up: EMT, DNA Analyst, Crime Scene Investigator and.... hmmm... one more. Each is prepped according to a template and APA style and citation are required. They have also taken photos of the "scene" which was set in the courtyard of the school and they have done labs with simulated dna etc.

https://www.pltw.org/our-programs/biomedical-science

We were just checking out this link, and it looks awesome! I'm a little confused at how to sign up. ?? Do I have to have a school near here?

The Smithsonian has an excellent forensic anthropology department at the Museum of Natural History. They had a great exhibit that closed last year and offered some excellent homeschool classes. The exhibit is closed but they have a lot of the information on their website, including case files and resources. http://anthropology.si.edu/writteninbone/index.html If you are anywhere in the DC area they do still offer some of the classes through their new Qrius program. 

An excellent mystery/thriller series is Simon Beckett's Dr. David Hunter series starring a forensic anthropologist. However, they are really creepy mysteries, so you may want to preview first, depending on your daughter. The first in the series is The Chemistry of Death. 

The Smithsonian has an excellent forensic anthropology department at the Museum of Natural History. They had a great exhibit that closed last year and offered some excellent homeschool classes. The exhibit is closed but they have a lot of the information on their website, including case files and resources. http://anthropology.si.edu/writteninbone/index.html If you are anywhere in the DC area they do still offer some of the classes through their new Qrius program. 

An excellent mystery/thriller series is Simon Beckett's Dr. David Hunter series starring a forensic anthropologist. However, they are really creepy mysteries, so you may want to preview first, depending on your daughter. The first in the series is The Chemistry of Death. 

We aren't anywhere near DC, but that website is great! There are lots of resources I'll be using. Thanks!

Not sure if its what you need but Easy Peasy HS has a forensics course (free). My 14yo is interested in trying the course.

She's been doing this course, but then wanted something meatier and more focused on anthropology. Thank you!