Menu

Apples & Pears or Logic of English Essentials?

fenni

I need a spelling program for 11 and 13 year old boys with terrible spelling.  I have it narrowed down to these two.  I'm a little concerned about LoE because I didn't like AAS and I'm afraid they are very similar.  I don't like pieces/cards.  Is Apples & Pears less teacher intensive?  Would we cover things more quickly with LoE?

Any insight to either program would be much appreciated.  Thank you.

I used LoE Essentials with ds last year and now am using Apples and Pears, in hindsight I wish I would have went with A&P off the bat. I love LoE for dd but just for spelling, especially with a struggling speller I think A&P is the better choice and it is super easy to implement and quick to do. Both recquire a fair amount of teacher involvement, when you have to dictate words and sentences that is not something they can do on their own and there is a fair amount of this in both. I do find A&P less cumbersome and easier to implement although they are both open and go. LoE didn't really help ds with the spelling problems he had, although I think it is fabulous for most kids I think A&P has a better track record for those that struggle, judging by the reviews.

For my weak speller, who didn't succeed with a solid rule based program, Apples and Pears has been fantastic. He's made so much progress. We're in the final book this year. I wish I had switched him earlier!

Especially given AAS didn't work, I'd avoid other rule based programs and go with Apples and Pears.

Just to clarify: Apples and Pears is Spelling covering most LD's or remedial spellers ( taught sight words)? 

I am enjoying LOE so far with 1 child but I did just order Dancing Bears to use with 3 younger ones.  If we like it and by the looks I think we will, is A & P requiring workbooks for each child too? I need to know so I can plan for that.  We used Alphabet Island one year and had wb for each child.  Still, we had fun but not much "stuck" and it was time consuming.

I sold all of my spelling curriculum after our older dc were done.. I had Sequential spelling for one LD son and Spelling Power for an accelerated daughter. I had tried IEW and bombed using it with multiple children so I sold it too.

I spent a lot on dd10 for reading over the past few years and sold a lot of it too.  She was memorizing Bob books.  She finally "read" in a Rocket Reader Bible!

Still, I went on to use Earobics 1 and 2 with her.

Now LOE is working so I want to stay on task with that for her.

She still has a hard time and uses the LOE app on my Iphone several times a week too.

Just to clarify: Apples and Pears is Spelling covering most LD's or remedial spellers ( taught sight words)? 

I am enjoying LOE so far with 1 child but I did just order Dancing Bears to use with 3 younger ones.  If we like it and by the looks I think we will, is A & P requiring workbooks for each child too? I need to know so I can plan for that.  We used Alphabet Island one year and had wb for each child.  Still, we had fun but not much "stuck" and it was time consuming.

I sold all of my spelling curriculum after our older dc were done.. I had Sequential spelling for one LD son and Spelling Power for an accelerated daughter. I had tried IEW and bombed using it with multiple children so I sold it too.

I spent a lot on dd10 for reading over the past few years and sold a lot of it too.  She was memorizing Bob books.  She finally "read" in a Rocket Reader Bible!

Still, I went on to use Earobics 1 and 2 with her.

Now LOE is working so I want to stay on task with that for her.

She still has a hard time and uses the LOE app on my Iphone several times a week too.

IN A&P, The children learn the phonemes and rules by USING them -by reading them, writing them, speaking them, hearing them, and then putting it all together.  SYNTHETIC.  

Also, if an 11 year old is not spelling at a 6th grade level, then what he needs is remedial spelling.  So, remedial would fit the need for the OP.

However, I will be recommended Apples and Pears from now on, for any child in 3rd grade or above, to any moms that ask.  For new homeschool moms, an O-G based spelling like All About Spelling would be better.  Starting from Kindergarten up, you are slowly building a foundation.

But for 3rd grade and up, Apples and Pears is so easy to use and so effective.

Now, I have looked at LOE too and I think it is an AWESOME program.  I came *this close* to buying that instead of A&P.  

BUT it is way more involved, and is just totally different than A&P.  The OP just needs to take a look at both and see which one would fit her and her children's teaching styles better.  Personally, all the rules, and all the different things to do, and all the different stuff to memorize in LOE made me completely overwhelmed.  I looked at the samples of A&P and from the start I knew I would love it and it was just a matter of it working for my dd. :o)  

Thanks.  I have looked at both, but I have a difficult time getting a feel or understanding programs from the computer screen.  I appreciate the input here and plan to try A&P.   

I know what you mean... I got LOE on here at a great deal ( cheaper than an A & P set) or I would not have tried it first.  I had only read a few posts at the time about both and after watching the LOE youtube videos and looking on several sites it popped up in these classifieds.  I could not pass up the opportunity.

The LOE app for iPhone or iPad was offered free when it came out.  I got it too and it is helping all of our younger children. 

Next, I saw LOE at a very small convention and had a sick baby so I missed the speaker :( 

I did buy the Doodling Dragons book for our boys and they like it.  

Only time will tell if LOE will be a keeper after dd10 is done.  If so, great, and if not, there is always A & P to try out or if no problems occur, I may just make up our own lessons like I used to years ago.

Good luck!!