Menu

Elemental Science Issues- Physics for the grammar stage specifically

pink&bluemommy

I sent them an email today after being less than impressed and wondered what other people's experiences had been with the program.  Here is the info I sent:

I purchased physics for the grammar stage to use for my third and sixth grade kids.  We have just started week 2 and I have found some errors or mistakes in grouping assignments.  We are following the two days per week schedule.  Week 1 day 1 the kids are asked to define gas (which is covered in day 2s reading - yes I could give them the definition but it would be better the next day).  In the quiz for week 1 the kids are asked to circle the two main components of air (material which is covered in week 2 day 1).  For week 2's assignments the kids are asked to define air pressure and do experiments about air pressure but are not asked to read the section in Usborne ABOUT air pressure.  If I wanted to correct and do this much work to figure out what ya'll are doing, I wouldn't have had to buy your materials - I just could have bought Usborne and the experiment books and put it together myself.  I bought this to make it easier on me - open and go.  It would be nice if you sent out a corrections sheet if ya'll have found and correlated any of these mistakes already.  But I'm just into week 2 so I have no idea what I will find later on.  I had heard good things about you guys and was excited to start this, but even the kids miss our old science (R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey - though I had no other choice but to switch since the don't have physics).  I'm sure I can muddle our way through this year's curriculum (I do have an engineering degree background to fall back on), but I sure thought it would be easier.

oh man.  That's a total bummer.  I am getting the Biology set this year for the first time, and I am hoping for a better experience than that.  I have been putting together my own, and I am hoping to have it all laid out for me with this.  Please let me know what they say.  I do know they are in the process of revising all of them, and Biology has been revised now.  

I got an email back saying their was a corrections file on their website for some of the quizzes (the link to it wasn't working but she sent me the file in an email.  I guess I would expect a letter be sent about corrections at least when buying curriculum).  It still didn't address the material not read from Usborne but experiments done and definitions written.  She said there was a lot of other information in Usborne.  I guess I still think they could say read the upper left corner of page 88 about air pressure and not have to read the whole two page spread.  We will keep up with it this year since I spent a good bit of money on it, but will probably be looking for something else next year.

• 3 months later...

pink&bluemommy, not sure if you have been on here lately but I am wondering what your thoughts are now that we are mid-year. I am considering this for next year, however, I also have an engineering background and it absolutely drives me nuts when there are editing errors and poorly written experiments in a science text.  Do you think this has value or should I look elsewhere?

I tried using Bio for Grammar Stage. It was not a fit for me. It felt very disorganized and disjointed. Using it made me feel scattered. Some of the experiments didn't seem to correspond to the lessons. Big fail here. It's just not how I want to do science. I hope you find something that works.

We love RSO here too, but had the same physics dilemma, so I also bought Elemental Science physics.  I used it for several weeks and then shelved it :(  I too felt it was all over the place and things did not match up.  I am now putting together all my own physics based on ES's topic groupings.  I am just using the Usborne book, experiment books from the library, and a lot of "Hands of a Child" lapbooks for each topic.  There is a lapbook for almost every physics topic and my son likes them.  I have already purchased RSO Chemistry and am so excited to switch back to it once we are done with physics.  Looking back I would have gone with Mr. Q physics  :(