Menu

History through Research - Could This Work?

I've been driving myself a little crazy trying to figure out how to do American history with the girls using our existing resources (we have a lot).

I had a lightbulb moment this  morning.

I have a list of essential topics I'd like them to learn about.  What if, instead of ME directly teaching every person/event, I first assigned them a mini research project.  For example:  If I want them to learn about Paul Revere, they would use the Internet (pre-screened sites) and the Children's Encyclopedia of US History and answer some questions I write down for them (Where and when did he live?  What was his profession?  Why was he famous? etc).  This would mainly serve as a guide so they don't get overwhelmed.  Then they can give a short oral or written report on what they learned. (Probably usually oral.)

I'd also add in the fun stuff, the lapbooking, 3-D maps, books, videos.... but perhaps they would be more engaged if they were more in charge of their learning and not just passively listening to me yammer on (or read aloud) about what we're studying. 

So, that's my thought.  Has anyone else done this successfully?  

I haven't personally done anything like this, but your post made me think of the Creek Edge Press Task Cards.  http://www.creekedgepress.com/  (Samples are under the tab labeled "gallery.")   They list topics for the child to research and read about, map work, what dates to enter on the timeline, etc.  You provide the environment----set out relevant books, suggest web sites for the child to use, etc. 

I love the idea of these cards, but the only child I have old enough to use them right now is a struggling reader and definitely NOT inclined to independent learning.  The cards are in the back of my mind, though, to use with one of my youngers some day.

We sort of have done this last year with world history. We read a chapter of a textbook or watched a documentary and then had them do a response or summary or drawing or something. I used a blank history portfolio and had my girls write biographies and timelines and paragraphs about various events.  We had a few textbooks and the internet.  I didn't bother with pre-screened sites. 

The Creekedge task cards look really, really cool, but I've banned myself from purchasing any more US History resources.  Seriously, somebody call Hoarders, b/c my collection is ridiculous.  I can't wait to be done with US History so I can get rid of it all!!

Anyway,  I think I could make my own version of them.  Sounds simple, and it would take some of the heavy lifting off my shoulders and put it onto the shoulders of the two young people who are ready to being owning their educations.

I had another light bulb moment today.  Are you ready?  This is huge.  <<drumroll>>

They're not going to remember everything I teach, no matter how perfect the plan and execution. 

OK, you probably already knew that, but it was a "come to Jesus" moment for me.  It never sank in before. If they just remember a small handful of key people and events we can call it good and move on.  It's not like they're never going to come across this stuff again in their school careers.   It doesn't have to perfect, and it cannot be complete (too much to cover).  That takes a load off.

The Creekedge task cards look really, really cool, but I've banned myself from purchasing any more US History resources.  Seriously, somebody call Hoarders, b/c my collection is ridiculous.  I can't wait to be done with US History so I can get rid of it all!!

Anyway,  I think I could make my own version of them.  Sounds simple, and it would take some of the heavy lifting off my shoulders and put it onto the shoulders of the two young people who are ready to being owning their educations.

I had another light bulb moment today.  Are you ready?  This is huge.  <<drumroll>>

They're not going to remember everything I teach, no matter how perfect the plan and execution. 

OK, you probably already knew that, but it was a "come to Jesus" moment for me.  It never sank in before. If they just remember a small handful of key people and events we can call it good and move on.  It's not like they're never going to come across this stuff again in their school careers.   It doesn't have to perfect, and it cannot be complete (too much to cover).  That takes a load off.

Yup, we obsess over what they are going to FORGET. :lol:

I've done this.  Example of Discovery to Civil War ...

1.       Early European contact with indigenous population

2.       Reasons for colonization of America

3.       Define, compare, and contrast political, religious, and social institutions that emerged in the English colonies and the effect

4.       Characteristics of the colonies:  southern, middle,  and New England

5.       Compare the colonial claims and the expansion of European power

6.       Impact of significant colonial figures, John Smith, William Penn, Anne Hutchison, etc.

7.       Understand the European struggle for control of North America and the Native American involvement

8.       Evaluate the opportunities of European immigrants, free and indentured

9.       Explain the development of mercantilism and the trans-Atlantic trade

10.   Describe the Middle Passage, growth of the African population, and African culture

11.   Trace the arrival of Africans in the European colonies and slave importation

12.   Analyze circumstances that affected the colonies, e.g. the Stamp Act, the early Navigation Acts, Townshend Acts, Sugar Act, Declaratory Act, Coercive Acts, Tea Act, etc.

13.   Explain the causes, key events, and outcomes of the French Revolution, as well as apply to the American Revolution

14.   Analyze the effects of the Napoleonic Wars, including the Congress of Vienna

15.   Define revolutionary movements in the mid-1800s

16.   Analyze the Seven Years War and apply to English imperial policy following the Treaty of Paris

17.   Chronologically document the outbreak of armed conflict between the American colonies and England

18.   Analyze the political, ideological, religious, and economic origins of the Revolution

19.   Reconstruct arguments and explain the derived decisions for independence

20.   Explain and understand the content and intellectual origins of the Declaration of Independence, look for and explain contradiction (slavery), was it justification for American independence

21.   Compare and contrast the Declaration of Independence with the French Declaration of the Rights of Man and Citizen

22.   Impact of significant key figures that impacted the cause and victory of the American Revolution, Benjamin Franklin, George Washington, James Madison, etc.

23.   Understand the factors affecting the course of the war and the contributions that led to the victory

24.   Impact of the American Revolution on politics, economy, and society

25.   Show and describe the events of the American Revolution

26.   Constitutional Convention

27.   Understand the creation and ratification of the Constitution

28.   Evaluate the Bill of Rights and the Alien and Sedition Acts of 1798

29.   Understand the development of the Supreme Court, power, and significance (John Marshall)

30.   Define, explain, compare and contrast the development and function of the first American party system

31.   Effects of relationships with external countries/nations and Native Americans from territorial expansion and exploration

32.   The War of 1812

33.   Monroe Doctrine

34.   Jacksonian era, compare and contrast the policies toward Native Americans and analyze the impact of the removal and resettlement of some of the tribes

35.   Industrial Revolution

a.       technological developments that revolutionized land and water transportation

b.      evaluate the factory system

c.       urbanization

d.      impact on the United States

36.   Immigration and Slavery

a.       Haitian Revolution and the end of the Atlantic slave trade

b.      Demand for slaves and the cotton gin

c.       Effect of slavery on capitalism and values

d.      Plantation system

e.      Identify the African response to slavery

37.   Westward movement

a.       Trace the growth of the enation

b.      the Gold Rush

c.       Lewis and Clark

d.      the Oregon Trail

e.      Wounded Knee

f.        the American Old West (key figures, social climate, etc.)

g.       reality of life on the frontier

h.      Mormons

38.   Understand the ideology of the Manifest Destiny

39.   Define the changes in the political environment, Democrats, Whigs, “Know-Nothingâ€, etc.

a.       U.S. Bank re-charter

b.      Andrew Jackson

c.       Missouri Compromise

d.      Tariff policy

e.      slavery

f.        Abolitionist Movement

g.       Second Great Awakening

h.      Transcendentalism

40.   Compare the north, south and west

Keep in mind that this was middle school for us too.  I did add some detail as we went, but for the most part.  I assigned a "number".