Menu

I think the best way is to have them try a practice test on each and score it yourself. I bet you can get test prep books at the library.

There may be quicker and easier ways, but I would be concerned about accuracy as well -- and I think this is the most accurate way.

From what I've read, girls and creative types tend to do better on the ACT.  I have no clue if that is true, just the general opinion.  If it were me, I'd choose one and if your child completely bombs then switch to the other one.

Costco has some decent ACT/SAT prep books out this week and we picked up this one:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0761174397/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p14_d20_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1YFD6CWXA91FE30PHB3Q&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

So far its been easy and interesting to read - lost of great tips for how to approach the test.

Good luck!

Did your child take the PSAT? That is a good indicator for the SAT. We use the Plan test in 10th grade as an indicator for the ACT, but I'm guessing you didn't do that. Do they need the writing section? Do they want to do the writing section? How do they feel about being penalized for guessing? If you are doing the writing section, look at a few essay prompts for each, they are different in style and your child may prefer one to the other. What about content? The SAT vocal is harder, the ACT includes science and trig... which is a better fit? 

It is true statistically that girls do better on the ACT and guys on the SAT. My guy was the opposite though.