Menu

She wants to read it...

When we do history readings from the Usborne encyclopedia or SOTW, Becca wants to read the pages herself. DH tried reading a section of SOTW to her this morning and her retention was very poor, so he had her read it out loud and she remembered a lot more detail for the narration.

She's super active and gets distracted easily - we think that by focusing on the act of reading, she also focuses on the material. She wanders a bit if she's just listening.

Now that I think about it, she does her own reading for nearly all of her other subjects - I just would never have thought to have her read SOTW.

Is this okay? We're still doing other read-alouds, more for "fun" and enjoyment. I was thinking that we could sit on the couch or in a comfy chair and have Becca read SOTW out loud to us. Has anyone else's DC done this so early? :001_huh:

And can I say, lucky you! I think it's great that Becca retains information so well reading to herself.

Huck at that age was reading and retaining information very well. But, it had to be topics that he wanted and that certainly wasn't, and isn't still, history.

We read aloud SOTW but I wouldn't be opposed at all if he chose to read it independently, particularly if the retention is there.

Way to go, Becca!

As long as she is retaining, does it really matter if she reads it herself, or someone reads it to her? IMHO, no.

My oldest prefers to read it, too. I just insist that we do it together, out loud. That way we can say the difficult words together. ;)

She does still enjoy other family read-alouds.

So relax, and enjoy resting your voice!

I think it's very important for children to listen to us read aloud on a regular basis. I still read aloud to my 10yo who reads at adult level. I feel that they need to listen to good-quality literature to keep those listening skills sharp and to practice keeping attention, especially for kids who are easily distracted (I have 2 of those).

That said, it doesn't have to be SOTW that you read aloud to her. She can read that one on her own if she likes. However, if she is having trouble retaining things that are read aloud to her, then I would practice that. Start with smaller stories with no pictures (Aesop Fables, etc.) if it's really a problem. If only a slight problem, start with short chapter books that are easy to follow.

Another point to consider is that she isn't supposed to retain everything she reads/hears in SOTW at this age. It's just supposed to help bank her memory of certain names, places, events, etc. She isn't supposed to remember these details completely after 1st grade, but she might see something about Egypt on tv one day a year later and she suddenly looks up and pays attention because somewhere in the back of her mind she remembers reading about the Nile or the tombs or whatever they may be talking about. She might remark, "Oh yeah, I remember reading about that guy last year!" even though she has no idea what she read about him! But the name is still in her mind.... And the next time she sees a book about him at the library, she might be more inclined to pick it up simply because she recognizes the name.

This is how SOTW has worked for us over the years. And now my daughter has actually gone back and re-read all the volumes on her own time, so I expect her to have better retention at this age than when I read it to her in 1st grade.

Good luck!

Amber,

I just re-read your post and noticed that you are still doing other family read-alouds, so please ignore my previous post about the importance of reading aloud. You obviously are already aware of this importance!

I think she is doing wonderful to be reading SOTW at that age! Just check for occasisonal pronunciation of the names and places. There are quite a few doozies in there that even trip up adults. I would go over the pronunciation of those names and places with her before she begins reading each chapter. I believe there is a pronunciation guide in the front of the activity book.

It sounds like she may be a visual learner. If she can read SOTW aloud, go for it! Another suggestion is to let her color or draw while you are reading.

I am a visual learner and cannot retain information when others are reading it aloud. I have to take notes during lectures or I will not remember anything. (I don't have to read the notes later, I just need to go through the process! :001_smile:)

It sounds like she may be a visual learner. If she can read SOTW aloud, go for it! Another suggestion is to let her color or draw while you are reading.

I am a visual learner and cannot retain information when others are reading it aloud. I have to take notes during lectures or I will not remember anything. (I don't have to read the notes later, I just need to go through the process! :001_smile:)

You know, I think she might be. I'm a visual learner too - I always want to see a picture or diagram of something or I can't really fix it in my brain. She is my "mini-mini." :001_smile: