Menu

Rod & Staff Math or Ray's Arithmetic?

TheAutumnOak

I own both in parts, so help me out...

We have been using Rod & Staff Math...I like it it, but don't think I have been using it correctly...I had been explaining how to do the lesson and then giving them the lessons to complete...They want and need a more hands on approach from me, and I want and need to give it to them ;)

I own book one of Ray's Arithmetic and really like how it helps with mental math (an area of trouble here), and am drawn to it for some reason...

My question is - what are the pros and cons that you can see using either of these?...Should I continue with R&S or switch to Ray's?

I know it is ultimately my decision, but I just want some opinions to consider before I decide...

Thanks you guys :) 

Yes, how old/which grade levels?

With the first three years, you are supposed to do the scripted oral classtime in the teacher manuals, then assign the seatwork. All of the instruction is in the oral classtime. From fourth grade and up, the instruction is in the student texts. The oral classtime does the same thing that is in the student text; it's a nice way to add face time to your children's day, but it isn't necessary at all.

I'm not familiar enough with Ray's to make an actual comparison. When Mott Media first reprinted the series, many people were thrilled to death :-) but I don't think the books have ever been widely used--enough to keep being published, but not loved by the majority of homeschoolers.

One of the things I like about Ray's is that the books are small. That is the same reason some people hate them.

I think Ray's is best used as a WHOLE, with the teacher of the Primary book having access and familiarity with Practical book's definitions. I think both the original Manual of Methods (free) and the Beechick Teacher Guide are essential.

I have found the arithmetic sections of Blumenfeld's How to Tutor and A Guide to American Christian Education for Home and School helpful in appreciating the beauty of the arabic decimal system and in finding my way through vintage texts.

In the early part of the Primary book and in the later parts of the Practical book, I really needed Beechick's schedule, as I need to schedule very differently than the pages suggest, and I need to supplement with real books and real life. I needed help focusing on what I needed to do, rather than following the book.

Simply Charlotte Mason arithmetic ebook is a helpful supplement to vintage texts as well.

https://simplycharlottemason.com/store/mathematics-an-instrument-for-living-teaching/

Once I complicated it all that much, it's probably more streamlined to use Rod and Staff. But for ME, throwing a small text in my backpack, and being able to order extra copies from Amazon or print out pages from an eBook, makes it a more portable and inexpensive option for ME.

Why can't you just be hands on with R&S? I remember the early books being very hands on. *shrug* Get Legos, blocks, or whatever out to teach the new concepts with, and don't set them loose on the lesson until they can explain it to you.

Thanks so much for your input...Hunter, Okbud and Moon, you are right...I decided to stick with R&S...I can simply add in more mental math using the problems in the speed drill books...

What I meant by more hands on is that they need me to teach them more, going over info more often and spending more time reviewing with them...We have blocks for manipulatives, and those work fine...

I just need to put in more time with them more often...It will be easier for me to use R&S because I already know and like that program...I think this was just a case of "something else might be better" or "I might be missing out on something" :-)

Thanks so much for your input...Hunter, Okbud and Moon, you are right...I decided to stick with R&S...I can simply add in more mental math using the problems in the speed drill books...

What I meant by more hands on is that they need me to teach them more, going over info more often and spending more time reviewing with them...We have blocks for manipulatives, and those work fine...

I just need to put in more time with them more often...It will be easier for me to use R&S because I already know and like that program...I think this was just a case of "something else might be better" or "I might be missing out on something" :-)

In your OP, you said you would explain to them how to do the lesson. Does this mean you were using the scripted oral clastime in the TM? Because if you're not, that's what you need to be doing. :-)

In your OP, you said you would explain to them how to do the lesson. Does this mean you were using the scripted oral clastime in the TM? Because if you're not, that's what you need to be doing. :-)

No, I wasn't doing this Ellie...I was just explaining it to them...Now I will use it the way it was intended with the oral class time and the speed drills...

Beginning in the 4th grade book the teacher's guide includes mental math drills each day in the oral class time that are awesome. And yes, for 1st-3rd the most important part of the lesson is in the teacher's guide; the workbook is just for practice in areas that need more help. The scope of the lessons is far wider than what you see in the workbook. Different skills are worked on that never appear in the workbook, and introduction to new concepts begins incrementally before the concept is practiced in the workbook.

Beginning in the 4th grade book the teacher's guide includes mental math drills each day in the oral class time that are awesome. And yes, for 1st-3rd the most important part of the lesson is in the teacher's guide; the workbook is just for practice in areas that need more help. The scope of the lessons is far wider than what you see in the workbook. Different skills are worked on that never appear in the workbook, and introduction to new concepts begins incrementally before the concept is practiced in the workbook.

Thanks Clear Creek...I guess I messed that one up...

At least now I know...My poor 4th grader will still be in the 3rd grade math book this year, at least at first...