Menu

Saxon math vs Teaching Textbooks

Hello

I am pulling DS out of private school (terrible teacher fit) for the year with hopes of him going back next year.  He is a fifth grader this year and his school uses Saxon.  I've been looking at Teaching Textbooks and I like the included instruction of concepts the program features, but I am concerned about DS getting behind.  Anyone use TT and skip their child ahead to make it more equivalent to Saxon or use Saxon with some extra materials?  I saw DIVE mentioned, but am unfamiliar with this. 

If his school uses Saxon and you plan on enrolling him back in the school next year, then the path of least resistance will be Saxon.  DIVE is a video teacher dvd program that follows the Saxon text lesson by lesson.  It's like the instructional portion of teaching textbooks that you are interested in.  Using Saxon with the DIVE dvd's would give ds this instruction while allowing him to continue with Saxon, making the transition back to school next year that much easier.

Hello

I am pulling DS out of private school (terrible teacher fit) for the year with hopes of him going back next year.  He is a fifth grader this year and his school uses Saxon.  I've been looking at Teaching Textbooks and I like the included instruction of concepts the program features, but I am concerned about DS getting behind.  Anyone use TT and skip their child ahead to make it more equivalent to Saxon or use Saxon with some extra materials?  I saw DIVE mentioned, but am unfamiliar with this. 

ITA with continuing with Saxon.

Also, you wouldn't need any extra materials. Just choose the next Saxon book in the series and you're good to go. :-)

I would just use Saxon, in your specific situation.

We use Teaching Textbooks and I love it.   There are placement tests on the Teaching Textbooks website that will give you an idea of what level to place him in.   My dd placed 2 years ahead, and is an average math student for her grade, FWIW.   I decided to place her only 1 year ahead because she had math anxiety when we first started using TT.   Which, has completely disappeared because of TT :). 

I really wouldn't change programs if you know you're going BACK to Saxon in a year. I'd use whatever his school would have had him use. This will give him the best foundation for being on the same page with the other students in his grade.

Thanks, all!  That makes sense.  I am not sure, but I was somewhat intimidated by teaching Saxon.  I will probably give it a go and see if I need to later order dvds to supplement the instruction.  DS is great with math concepts, but makes careless errors in his work.  I don't think he will have too much difficulty following along, just in the area of corrections.  ;) 

Thanks, all!  That makes sense.  I am not sure, but I was somewhat intimidated by teaching Saxon.  I will probably give it a go and see if I need to later order dvds to supplement the instruction.  DS is great with math concepts, but makes careless errors in his work.  I don't think he will have too much difficulty following along, just in the area of corrections.  ;)

Saxon is easy-peasy to "teach." Everything the dc need to know is right in their textbooks. You read through it so you know what they're supposed to know, let them read it, go over the few practice problems with them, and let them get to work. :-)

Saxon is easy-peasy to "teach." Everything the dc need to know is right in their textbooks. You read through it so you know what they're supposed to know, let them read it, go over the few practice problems with them, and let them get to work. :-)

Thank you for the encouragement!  I hope it goes smoothly.  :)