Menu

Fun Fraction materials for 5yo

lizbusby

My 5yo DS has been very interested in fractions lately. The other day he was reading the nutrition label on the applesauce jar and figured out that 11 1/2 cup servings meant that the jar contained 5 1/2 cups. I asked him how many baby-sized 1/4 cup servings were in the bottle, and he got 22. Yay! Today, he was trying to figure out what a fourth of a fourth would be, and with a little coaching got to 1/16.

So he's definitely interested in fractions, and I'm looking to unschool this interest by strewing some materials around for him. Any favorite fraction books/manipulatives/curriculums/ideas that I could throw his way?

The app "Coop Fractions" involves chickens laying eggs, you catching eggs in baskets, squalking, and some other very silly things all the while comparing fractions, number lining fractions and eventually leading to addition, subtraction, and other operations. My son thought it was hysterical.

Initially the app is free, but I think in the end it is 2.99 to completely unlock.

We have fraction tiles, fraction towers (kind of like math cubes), and a fraction card game--it's like dominoes, but you match up equivalent fractions. The cards have pictures on one side and number fractions on the other, so you can play with one side or both. http://www.amazon.com/Trend-T-24009-Fractions-Dominoes-Challenge/dp/B000OMIA9W

I have recently seen some tangrams fraction activities. I think they are in a little pamphlet from RR that is about extension activities with tangrams.