Menu

Saxon Math without Tests

elmerRex

We have been using the textbook for Saxon Math 54 but we are not doing the tests. Will this come back to hurt us later?

I grade my sons math each day and he makes corrections as needed, but he's been making 90+ on many math assignments and the review is built into each days work. Are the tests important?

Are the tests pretty different from the lessons/investigations or are the test questions similar to the work in the textbook?

I have been told that I should be testing him also, but I don't see why I should pay extra for "more of the same" type work.
Can someone more knowing than me please offer guidance?

I would do every other test. The tests don't introduce new material, but I do think they make the students think about the processes differently. I have only used algebra 1/2-2 though. I also correct every problem (and work them all), but I find value in the tests (I have taken every test for 1/2-2 so far).

I have been told that I should be testing him also, but I don't see why I should pay extra for "more of the same" type work.

If you didn't buy the test book you also don't have the timed drilled sheets.  Right?  Both are important to the Saxon program.  The tests give you a window of opportunity to see what lessons the child is struggling on before you progress too far into the book.  When my child gets the test question wrong, I look at why they got it wrong and if it's a case that they didn't get the concept then I reteach the lesson and use the extra practice in the back of the textbook (supplemental practice). The timed drilled sheets help your child to develop quicker responses to questions presented via repetition.  You aren't paying extra for "more of the same" type of work you are paying for the complete program and all it's parts.  Together all the parts work great. 

If you didn't buy the test book you also don't have the timed drilled sheets. Right? Both are important to the Saxon program. The tests give you a window of opportunity to see what lessons the child is struggling on before you progress too far into the book. When my child gets the test question wrong, I look at why they got it wrong and if it's a case that they didn't get the concept then I reteach the lesson and use the extra practice in the back of the textbook (supplemental practice). The timed drilled sheets help your child to develop quicker responses to questions presented via repetition. You aren't paying extra for "more of the same" type of work you are paying for the complete program and all it's parts. Together all the parts work great.

I agree with this. It's important to do the program.

We have been using the textbook for Saxon Math 54 but we are not doing the tests. Will this come back to hurt us later?

I grade my sons math each day and he makes corrections as needed, but he's been making 90+ on many math assignments and the review is built into each days work. Are the tests important?

Are the tests pretty different from the lessons/investigations or are the test questions similar to the work in the textbook?

I only used Saxon for a couple of months with my kids when we started homeschooling 7 years ago,so keep that in mind when reading my comments: I  don't think you need to spend time on the tests if your son is making 90+ on the math assignments.  I found the test problems were exactly like those in the textbook.

Imo, I would supplement with Singapore's Challenging Word Problem books as an alternative to the tests.  That would give your son more practice applying his skills to story problems.

Well, I will disagree.  If you are checking your student's work as they go along and having them make corrections, the tests are not necessary.  There is value in the drill sheets (we did them untimed) to make sure the student has the operations down and can work simple problems quickly.  However, those types of drill sheets are also available at many locations online for free if your student needs the work.

(with various kids: Saxon 6/5, 8/7,  1/2, Alg 1 and Geometry - lots of years of Saxon-izing invested here).

Opinions on using the Saxon tests will probably vary depending on the user's view of testing overall.  I don't find tests very useful in any curriculum.  My concern is on mastery and Saxon has plenty review of old concepts - if something isn't mastered, it shows up again quickly.  With my high schoolers, I favored a single end-of-semester test over the material where we needed confirmation for a grade.  With the youngers, showing mastery in the daily work is good enough here.

Honestly, Saxon is a full program, but with the amount of time you personally invest in math preparation, you can make your own tests/schedules and be fine.  You can get away with a midterm and a final, if you really wanted to.

I wouldn't make the same recommendation for just anyone...  If I recall, you are already solving all of the problems in advance, to make sure you are ready to teach the material.  If so, you already know beyond a shadow of doubt where your child is.

Honestly, Saxon is a full program, but with the amount of time you personally invest in math preparation, you can make your own tests/schedules and be fine.  You can get away with a midterm and a final, if you really wanted to.

I wouldn't make the same recommendation for just anyone...  If I recall, you are already solving all of the problems in advance, to make sure you are ready to teach the material.  If so, you already know beyond a shadow of doubt where your child is. Wow, superb memory! Yes, I am working Saxon Math ahead of my son.