Menu

Math people....which choice after Alg. 2? College Alg. or PreCalc

The Pre-Calculus class that my son was heading into is not available to us as the instructor is experiencing an unexpected move. So we are trying to decide WHAT to do. We keep going round and round with no decision made!! Could you offer your perspective and advice, please??

Option # 1

Enroll him in College Algebra at the local CC

Option #  2-Enroll him in a Pre-Calculus class at one of the online schools that come highly recommended-

The Potter’s School-will review for 3 lessons, then get to the trig.

Text used is Pre-Calculus: Graphical, Numerical, Algebraic, 8th edition, by Demana, Waits, Foley, Kennedy.

Wilson Hill- will spend the 1st semester reviewing and going deeper with the Alg. 2, till they get to Trig; the 2nd semester-

text used is Advanced Math: Pre-Calculus with Discrete Mathematics and Data Analysis, 2003, by Richard Brown

Points we are considering:

Son is planning a STEM major.

Alg. 2 grades-1st semester 87%, 2nd semester 81%-son admits he slacked off the last semester compared to the first.

He is usually slow at most of his subjects, including his math. He spends about 10 hours per week on his math assignments. This is above the class time. His teacher says he “studies the subject to know how the pieces fit together – not just what the pieces are. He is not satisfied with simply memorizing the facts, but wrestles to understand and apply what he has learned.†He does like math.

Concerns we have are:

At the local CC he may have an instructor that isn’t very good, or they have to teach down to students who are in that class as a remedial course. Plus, he would then in the spring semester he would have Trig. at the college level/faster pace.

So……with all that said, which is the best option for my STEM student?  Would you recommend the College Algebra and then Trigonometry or one of the online classes?

Yes, he does prefer a live class, but he too is concerned about the quality of class at local CC. If your advice is for one of the online PreCalc classes, do you see a major difference in them?

So if you have walked this path already or are a math person, would you give me your advice?

ETA: ds will be a senior this year

I think that he would benefit from a whole semester of College Algebra (Algebra 3) followed by a semeseter of Trig.  Algebra skills are vital for Calc and above.

Trig is traditionally a one semester course (both in high school and college)-- a one -semester Pre-Calc CC class would be accelerated!

Try rateyourprofessor.com  (or something similar to that).  DH used it to help DD1 and DD2 find good college profs.

Our local CC is known for having better instructors than the state universities-- or in many cases the SAME instructors!

If he is going into STEM, a College Algebra course would not give him college credit to transfer, since it is considered remedial for the STEM majors.

If you have concerns about the CC, I would go the precalculus route.  I am not familiar with the courses you mentioned.

For a slow, but thorough, student, I would actually consider self study the best option, above any scheduled course.

I agree with both of the above, sort of.  :) 

The credits at the local CC won't be applicable to STEM majors, but college algebra is a very useful course that does not preclude precalculus.  If you can fit both in before graduation, then do both.  If you can only fit one in, then do precal...  Having a strong foundation in algebra is very important for advanced mathematics, and an 80% clip is NOT a strong foundation (yet).  It is a good step in that direction, though.

Precalculus is really meant to be a brief recap of college algebra + trigonometry, with the assumption that you have done both.  Over the years, we've dropped the intermediate courses, and refined precalculus to cover those aspects of college algebra most frequently missed by algebra 2 courses.  So, it will cover the critical bits, but just not as well.

I think that he would benefit from a whole semester of College Algebra (Algebra 3) followed by a semeseter of Trig.  Algebra skills are vital for Calc and above.

Trig is traditionally a one semester course (both in high school and college)-- a one -semester Pre-Calc CC class would be accelerated!

Try rateyourprofessor.com  (or something similar to that).  DH used it to help DD1 and DD2 find good college profs.

Our local CC is known for having better instructors than the state universities-- or in many cases the SAME instructors!

Thanks for your reply Jann in TX!

I did not realize that Trig was typically only one semester in high school! I'm really showing my lack of mathematical knowledge.

We have seen the rate your professor app. He had several friends tell him that sometimes you actually are teaching yourself, depending upon the instructor.

As a math teacher yourself, and encouraging me to send him to the CC, do you really feel that the courses would have MORE to offer, more depth, or is it mainly the college experience that you feel would be beneficial?

If he is going into STEM, a College Algebra course would not give him college credit to transfer, since it is considered remedial for the STEM majors.

If you have concerns about the CC, I would go the precalculus route.  I am not familiar with the courses you mentioned.

For a slow, but thorough, student, I would actually consider self study the best option, above any scheduled course.

Regenetude....thank you for your reply!

We were not told that the College Algebra wouldn't transfer, or count towards a STEM degree, but that does make sense knowing the math level they would need to reach.

Yes, I do have concerns about the CC, but then I must also admit that the son of a friend, LOVES his professor. Sadly, she isn't available at this level math.

We keep teeter-tottering back and forth on our decision. I have till tomorrow morning to pay for the CC class, if we go that route. Yikes!

I agree with both of the above, sort of.  :)

The credits at the local CC won't be applicable to STEM majors, but college algebra is a very useful course that does not preclude precalculus.  If you can fit both in before graduation, then do both.  If you can only fit one in, then do precal...  Having a strong foundation in algebra is very important for advanced mathematics, and an 80% clip is NOT a strong foundation (yet).  It is a good step in that direction, though.

Precalculus is really meant to be a brief recap of college algebra + trigonometry, with the assumption that you have done both.  Over the years, we've dropped the intermediate courses, and refined precalculus to cover those aspects of college algebra most frequently missed by algebra 2 courses.  So, it will cover the critical bits, but just not as well.

I appreciate your response  Mike in SA!

I edited my response above to show that my ds will be a senior in HS this year. I am a little confused by your last comment. If he has just finished Alg. 2 as a junior in high school and we are choosing his last math course would you say College Algebra + Trig at the CC or go with high school Pre Calculus at an online school?

Will College Algebra + Trig be more in depth than high school Pre-Calc?

Since he is a rising Senior then he should be thinking about colleges and majors.  STEM is way too broad a term to answer your question correctly. For example if he wants to major in Engineering, he would need to assess his comfort with Trig.  If strong enough, he should DE in College Algebra this fall and then take Calculus after that (assuming he can find a good instructor for each).  Only the Calculus would transfer so if your student was not happy with his grade or knowledge attained then he could just take Calc over in College.

Since he is a rising Senior then he should be thinking about colleges and majors.  STEM is way too broad a term to answer your question correctly.

Unless we win the lottery this year...He will start out at the community college and then transfer to the in state university that has an Engineering program or Computer Science program.

College algebra + trig (two semesters) will be very close in coverage to an average high school precalculus. I would expect it to cover somewhat less than a rigorous honors high school course and focus heavily on fundamental skills. However, it will prepare him adequately for the calculus course at the same CC.

Unless we win the lottery this year...He will start out at the community college and then transfer to the in state university that has an Engineering program or Computer Science program.

I updated my reply when you were typing :)

If the cost is pretty close to CC you may want to consider Derek Owens or other for Pre-Calc.  I would then have your son do some Calculus (two chapters??) over the summer before College starts.  You will want your son to get an A in Calc at CC.

Alg. 2 grades-1st semester 87%, 2nd semester 81%-son admits he slacked off the last semester compared to the first.

He is usually slow at most of his subjects, including his math. He spends about 10 hours per week on his math assignments. This is above the class time. His teacher says he “studies the subject to know how the pieces fit together – not just what the pieces are. He is not satisfied with simply memorizing the facts, but wrestles to understand and apply what he has learned.†He does like math.

10 hours a week for Algebra 2 is not real slow if he is digging in to understand.  What class and/or book did he use?   What did he complete?

10 hours a week for Algebra 2 is not real slow if he is digging in to understand.  What class and/or book did he use?   What did he complete?

Interesting....I truly thought he was being consumed by his math. It may have actually been longer at times, if he was struggling. He was not one to email for help right away, sometimes spending 30 minor more trying to figure out where his mistake was. Although I will say he did get better at asking for help or using an online program we purchased that will work out the problem for you if you can't achieve it on your own.  

The class he attended was a local certified math instructor, who also homeschools. She has had many student go right from her class to the College Alg. and say it was a pretty easy class. They used the McDougal Littell Algebra 2, although an older edition. The didn't do chapter 10-14.

Chapter 10-Quadratic Relations and Conic Sections

11- Sequences and series

12-Probability and Statistics

13-Trigonometric Ratios and Functions

14-Trigonometric Graphs, and Identities and Equations

If my understanding is correct, this book is designed to use for more than one year and these tops would be covered in the Pre-Calc class they were planning. The teacher at The Potter's school, the first online school I mentioned, said he should review the Chapter 12 and 14 as her students would have already touched on that and they would move a little quicker on it in Pre-Calc.

The teacher at Wilson Hill said it was usual not to finish those Chapters for that book, and the book she uses will be similar.

College algebra + trig (two semesters) will be very close in coverage to an average high school precalculus. I would expect it to cover somewhat less than a rigorous honors high school course and focus heavily on fundamental skills. However, it will prepare him adequately for the calculus course at the same CC.

Thanks for your input kiana! The two online classes I am considering are not Honors classes, I don't believe, but both teachers said they should prepare him for AP Calculus.

The class he attended was a local certified math instructor, who also homeschools. She has had many student go right from her class to the College Alg. and say it was a pretty easy class. They used the McDougal Littell Algebra 2, although an older edition. The didn't do chapter 10-14.

Chapter 10-Quadratic Relations and Conic Sections

11- Sequences and series

12-Probability and Statistics

13-Trigonometric Ratios and Functions

14-Trigonometric Graphs, and Identities and Equations

If my understanding is correct, this book is designed to use for more than one year and these tops would be covered in the Pre-Calc class they were planning. The teacher at The Potter's school, the first online school I mentioned, said he should review the Chapter 12 and 14 as her students would have already touched on that and they would move a little quicker on it in Pre-Calc.

The teacher at Wilson Hill said it was usual not to finish those Chapters for that book, and the book she uses will be similar.

It is very common to skip those chapters. Quite frankly it is not uncommon for students to not see sequences and series until they get to Calc II/BC, because that chapter is so commonly skipped in both algebra 2 and precalculus. They will be taught from scratch in calculus at the CC. I cannot say what TPS will do.

I *would* preview the sequences and series material prior to calculus II if his precalc class doesn't cover it, simply because calc II students tend to find it VERY confusing when it's their first pass through the material. I'd also run through the limits chapter of the precalc book (if there is one) over the summer, again, simply because many students find their first exposure to limits confusing. But that is a whole year off, and solidifying his algebra and learning trigonometry is more important at the moment.

It is very common to skip those chapters. Quite frankly it is not uncommon for students to not see sequences and series until they get to Calc II/BC, because that chapter is so commonly skipped in both algebra 2 and precalculus. They will be taught from scratch in calculus at the CC. I cannot say what TPS will do.

I *would* preview the sequences and series material prior to calculus II if his precalc class doesn't cover it, simply because calc II students tend to find it VERY confusing when it's their first pass through the material. I'd also run through the limits chapter of the precalc book (if there is one) over the summer, again, simply because many students find their first exposure to limits confusing. But that is a whole year off, and solidifying his algebra and learning trigonometry is more important at the moment.

That is reassuring to hear. I will copy this information for the coming summer before Calculus!

. The didn't do chapter 10-14.

This appears to be the "Larson Algebra 2 book" -  best to use author names since the publisher changes so often

no this book is designed for one year - a Honors Level class would have covered most of the book leaving out some sections

my son covered introductory Sequences and Series in Algebra 1 so Algebra 2 naturally would go into more depth etc  -  Common Core HS Math does raise the bar a little for expectations in Algebra 1 and 2.

I would say that your son's class was a little weak in coverage versus current expectations for Algebra 2 - now I can strongly recommend he takes a good/rigorous PreCalc class.

========================================================

Algebra two Larson 2001

McDougal Littell Algebra 2

Thanks for your input kiana! The two online classes I am considering are not Honors classes, I don't believe, but both teachers said they should prepare him for AP Calculus.

Consider

http://www.derekowens.com/course_info_precalculus.php

I believe he has an Honors version of each class (they do more stuff).

I watched some sample videos a while back and they were good.

Many members here recommend him as well.

Ds is heading into precalc this year, and we reviewed precisely those topics normally at the end of algebra 2, to make sure his foundation is in place.  He is weak on trig identities, but ready for the series and combinatorics work required for induction.  We will enrich the trig content through the year.

If his school would allow it (younger DS is the home schooler), we would have him do AoPS algebra 3 prior to precalc, just for depth of theory.  Then again, both DW and I have math degrees and university teaching experience, so we are purists.  For Co sci or engineering, the requirements are a little different.  Co sci needs solid discrete mathematics (what you missed), and engineering needs application.

If you can do college algebra, trig, and precalc at the cc over the years, he would be best off.  None of the three will apply to a stem major, though.

IMO it's a great time for him to get used to the faster pace of college courses.  I don't think it's a great idea to have the first college math class be calculus when you're used to working more slowly.  I'd go with College Algebra in the fall and Pre-Calculus in the spring.  He should then be well prepared for calculus next year.  The other pre-calculus class could work too, but it won't give him the introduction to college which I think can be so helpful in creating a smoother transition.

Edited to add:  As per Sebastian's info, it may be that he'd be better off taking just Trigonometry the spring semester.  I suggested pre-calculus simply because it is more info at a faster pace and good prep for a 5 credit Calculus I class.  The trig alone would prepare him as well content wise.

Has he taken the placement test at the local cc?  What course would he place into? 

What is the sequence of math courses for math/engineering/science students at that cc?  At our local cc, there is a flow chart that shows several pathways with prerequisites.  In this sequence, there are two parallel tracks into the analytical geometry/calculus I course (labeled as Math 250).  One path is a one semester, six credit Precalculus with Trig class (Math 244).  The other path is one semester of College Algebra (Math 101) followed by one semester of Trigonometry (Math 104).  The College Algebra book uses A Graphical Approach to College Algebra by Hornsby (ISBN 032164476X). 

The prerequisite for both the Precalculus and the College Algebra is Intermediate Algebra II (Math 70) or testing out of that level.  [i know that the course numbers will vary wildly from college to college.  I'm including them just to give a sense of how this school labels their progression.  I think that course labels may be consistent across the California cc and UC and California State University systems.]

The school also has several different calculus options, Business Calculus (Math 120) and Applied Calculus I (Math 121) are both courses that can be taken after the Intermediate Algebra II (Math 70) class. 

I initially found this sequence by searching for [college name] math sequence and later also found it linked to the page describing the assessment tests. 

Whether or not the courses transfer into a 4 year degree program is a little hard to grasp.  And to be honest, I'm more focused on moving my kids from where they are to the next level than on trying to get double duty out of each credit.  Having said that, it looks like most of the courses from Math 101 College Algebra on up can transfer into both UC and CSU systems.  It is a different questions as to whether or not they would fulfill graduation requirements for specific degrees.  In other words, the College Algebra 101 course might be accepted at CSU, but not meet the degree requirements for math courses for a computer science degree.  On the other hand, I wouldn't assume that a school would give college degree credit for most high school courses such as pre-calculus.  And credit given for AP Calculus test scores also varies by the exam score and the degree program, so there isn't a cut and dried answer there either.

All of which is a round about way of saying that at my local cc it would appear that Precalculus (6 credits) roughly equals College Algebra plus Trigonometry (3 credits + 3 credits). 

My son's placement test could have had him take the Precalc class, but I didn't want him in a 6 credit course as his first college class.  He is on a path that could have him through Analytical Geometry & Calculus II at the end of senior year.

I would say that your son's class was a little weak in coverage versus current expectations for Algebra 2 - now I can strongly recommend he takes a good/rigorous PreCalc class.

If you can do college algebra, trig, and precalc at the cc over the years, he would be best off.  None of the three will apply to a stem major, though.

Could you clarify Mike in SA?

In my son's case, are you recomending a strong Pre-Calculus high school course, or would it just be best to get started with the local CC and have him take College Algebra this semester, then Trig in the spring?

Has he taken the placement test at the local cc?  What course would he place into? 

What is the sequence of math courses for math/engineering/science students at that cc?  At our local cc, there is a flow chart that shows several pathways with prerequisites.  In this sequence, there are two parallel tracks into the analytical geometry/calculus I course (labeled as Math 250).  One path is a one semester, six credit Precalculus with Trig class (Math 244).  The other path is one semester of College Algebra (Math 101) followed by one semester of Trigonometry (Math 104).  The College Algebra book uses A Graphical Approach to College Algebra by Hornsby (ISBN 032164476X). 

The prerequisite for both the Precalculus and the College Algebra is Intermediate Algebra II (Math 70) or testing out of that level.  [i know that the course numbers will vary wildly from college to college.  I'm including them just to give a sense of how this school labels their progression.  I think that course labels may be consistent across the California cc and UC and California State University systems.]

The school also has several different calculus options, Business Calculus (Math 120) and Applied Calculus I (Math 121) are both courses that can be taken after the Intermediate Algebra II (Math 70) class. 

I initially found this sequence by searching for [college name] math sequence and later also found it linked to the page describing the assessment tests. 

Whether or not the courses transfer into a 4 year degree program is a little hard to grasp.  And to be honest, I'm more focused on moving my kids from where they are to the next level than on trying to get double duty out of each credit.  Having said that, it looks like most of the courses from Math 101 College Algebra on up can transfer into both UC and CSU systems.  It is a different questions as to whether or not they would fulfill graduation requirements for specific degrees.  In other words, the College Algebra 101 course might be accepted at CSU, but not meet the degree requirements for math courses for a computer science degree.  On the other hand, I wouldn't assume that a school would give college degree credit for most high school courses such as pre-calculus.  And credit given for AP Calculus test scores also varies by the exam score and the degree program, so there isn't a cut and dried answer there either.

All of which is a round about way of saying that at my local cc it would appear that Precalculus (6 credits) roughly equals College Algebra plus Trigonometry (3 credits + 3 credits). 

My son's placement test could have had him take the Precalc class, but I didn't want him in a 6 credit course as his first college class.  He is on a path that could have him through Analytical Geometry & Calculus II at the end of senior year.

Taking the placement test at the college is an excellent suggestion.  You will eventually be required to, anyway.  Doing it now will ensure that you get the correct path forward.

On a side note, precalculus isn't normally two classes combined, but rather an accelerated overview.  So, it's typically a 3 credit course.  It is not a substitute for college algebra or trig+analytic geometry...  You might place out of precalculus after the other two, though.

Could you clarify Mike in SA?

In my son's case, are you recomending a strong Pre-Calculus high school course, or would it just be best to get started with the local CC and have him take College Algebra this semester, then Trig in the spring?

This is the path to the greatest depth, and best foundation.  It's the sequence I followed, fwiw.  You get the material of algebra 3, analytic geometry, and then recap for solidity.  Then, calculus can be devoted to calculus, instead of trig, sequences, and series.

This is the path to the greatest depth, and best foundation.  It's the sequence I followed, fwiw.  You get the material of algebra 3, analytic geometry, and then recap for solidity.  Then, calculus can be devoted to calculus, instead of trig, sequences, and series.

You say "This is the greatest depth and best foundation....."

WHAT is the "this"?  College Alg. + Trig and then Pre-Calc at the CC, if needed, is what I think you are refering to. Is that correct?

You say "This is the greatest depth and best foundation....."

WHAT is the "this"?  College Alg. + Trig and then Pre-Calc at the CC, if needed, is what I think you are refering to. Is that correct?

Yes, that is correct.  Apologies for not being more verbose - I'm writing from a cell phone...

IMO it's a great time for him to get used to the faster pace of college courses.  I don't think it's a great idea to have the first college math class be calculus when you're used to working more slowly.  I'd go with College Algebra in the fall and Pre-Calculus in the spring.  He should then be well prepared for calculus next year.  The other pre-calculus class could work too, but it won't give him the introduction to college which I think can be so helpful in creating a smoother transition.

Edited to add:  As per Sebastian's info, it may be that he'd be better off taking just Trigonometry the spring semester.  I suggested pre-calculus simply because it is more info at a faster pace and good prep for a 5 credit Calculus I class.  The trig alone would prepare him as well content wise.

I wanted to thank you for taking time to share your wisdom as well!

Thank you for all your advice!

To everyone that tried to help us decide, thank you! It certainly helped to hear several perspectives.

We have decided to have him begin at the local CC with the College Algebra, which he has already tested into.

At our local AZ CC system:

College Algebra   3
    AND
Trigonometry      3
     OR
Precalculus         5
   Fast-paced course for motivated students who have strong algebra skills and some trigonometry background.

Are the prereqs to the Calculus I course that is taken by STEM students.

(my previous post for Pre-Calc meant HS level)

Thank you for all your advice!

To everyone that tried to help us decide, thank you! It certainly helped to hear several perspectives.

We have decided to have him begin at the local CC with the College Algebra, which he has already tested into.

Be sure to warn him of the faster pace!

College Algebra at the CC paired with Trig will make a compete Pre-Calc class that moves at the same pace as a Pre-Calc class at the high school level.

The Lial/Hornsby texts "College Algebra and Trigonometry" and "Pre-Calculus" have the same exact solutions manual--page for page inside is same as well.  Many students will not need Trig unless they are STEM majors so College Algebra and Trig have been split into 2 separate classes.

A one-semester Pre-Calc class is fast moving and recommended only for gifted students or for students who took Pre-Calc in high school who need a refresher or a 'pacing class'.

Most CC's have excellent tutoring centers (free).  I recommend the OP's son schedule/plan time immediately after his math class to start on the homework in the tutoring center in case he has questions... do this from the very beginning especially since he 'slacked off' at the end of Algebra 2 where the overlap will happen.

Be sure to warn him of the faster pace!

Yes, we have warned him. That is one of the reasons he was leaning towards the high school Pre-Calc class as the teacher at The Potter School was planning to only do a slight review of Alg. 2 and then head into the Trig in the first semester. We reasoned that this would actually be a slower pace of learning the Trig, as he would actually have more than one semester to cover it, which may have been beneficial.

I do believe he will be successful, no matter the route, because he is so persistent in his pursuit to understand the math. It may end up that he spends more time on math, which we didn't want, but in the end, I think this route of College Alg will prepare him for the pace of college.

College Algebra at the CC paired with Trig will make a compete Pre-Calc class that moves at the same pace as a Pre-Calc class at the high school level.

The Lial/Hornsby texts "College Algebra and Trigonometry" and "Pre-Calculus" have the same exact solutions manual--page for page inside is same as well. Many students will not need Trig unless they are STEM majors so College Algebra and Trig have been split into 2 separate classes.

A one-semester Pre-Calc class is fast moving and recommended only for gifted students or for students who took Pre-Calc in high school who need a refresher or a 'pacing class'.

Most CC's have excellent tutoring centers (free). I recommend the OP's son schedule/plan time immediately after his math class to start on the homework in the tutoring center in case he has questions... do this from the very beginning especially since he 'slacked off' at the end of Algebra 2 where the overlap will happen.

The Pre-Calc class we were originally planning was a high school one, as I described in the reply above.

I appreciate the advice for him to attend the tutoring center to do math right after class. I can see how this would really benefit him, and probably wouldn't have thought to insist on this. Great advice!