Menu

Electives.... and credits

For eleventh grade, my son is taking a draft course from home. Once he

finishes that then he will do CAD. My questions are:

#1. Will these count for visual art credit?

#2. Can I use them as two separate half credits to completely cover the high school art requirement?

I think there was another question but at the moment I can't remember what it is.

Hi.

I am looking at the NYS high school requirements and I don't see art listed.  I only see a 1/2 credit required in 7/8th grade.   I would list it as an elective, but I am only on my first journey through reporting high school so I hope someone else chimes in.

Hello!

I am looking at the print out they give me every year when I send in my letter of intent.

It says I need 1 unit of music/art credit between 9-12 grade.

Who knows. :confused1:

I appreciate your help either way.

For eleventh grade, my son is taking a draft course from home. Once he

finishes that then he will do CAD. My questions are:

#1. Will these count for visual art credit?

#2. Can I use them as two separate half credits to completely cover the high school art requirement?

I think there was another question but at the moment I can't remember what it is.

Alas, I must be the bearer of bad news. Answers to your questions:

#1 = no

#2 = no

Fine Arts credits are either "appreciation" courses, or creation of art, or performance. Drafting is an Engineering or Technical or CTE (Computer & Technical Education) credit. CAD is a Computer credit or a CTE credit. So Drafting and CAD would both fall under the Electives category, not Fine Arts. Here are examples of Fine Arts credits to help you plan:

Visual Arts -- creating art

- drawing

- painting

- photography

- filmmaking

Digital Arts -- use of computer to create art

- graphic design

- web design

- animation

- use of software to create visual art or manipulate visual images

Studio Arts -- creating with hands-on media

- jewelry-making

- pottery

- sculpture

- woodworking

- metal work

- glassblowing / glass fusing / stained glass

Performance Arts -- performing/doing

- music (instrument, voice, composing, songwriting, etc.)

- drama (theater performance, directing, staging / stagecraft, set design, costume design, etc.)

- dance (choreography; performance of ballet, jazz, modern, ballroom, hip-hop and other urban dance styles, etc.)

Design / Principles / Fundamentals / Theory

- design principles -- visual arts course focusing on color, line form, structure, etc.

- music theory -- course focusing on understanding of chords, key signature, "time", musical structure, etc.

Appreciation Course

(learn history, artists, movements, and deeper understanding of specific works in a specific medium)

- Art

- Architecture

- Music

- Drama

- Film

Another option is to pick 4 topics and do each topic for 9 weeks and call the course "Introduction to Fine Arts", or, "Overview of Fine Arts".

Since your annual print out requirement is "1 unit of music/art credit between 9-12 grade", I highly recommend that you double check what exactly would be allowed to fulfill that credit. Some states require the actual creation of art or performance of music or theater -- so something like a Film Appreciation course, or even a Digital Arts course in Animation may NOT meet state regulations.

It looks like you are in NY? Here are the specifics of what is meant by Fine Arts by NY: Summary of Arts Provisions.

Hope that helps! If you need a fast Fine Arts credit, see if one of the Teaching Company lecture series on Art or Music would work. Or one of the FREE Coursera MOOC classes. If actual creation or performance is required, what about a summer intensive community teen theater program -- working backstage and in stage craft? Or a DIY photography class? Or Creative Live downloaded courses in Adobe Photoshop and other software of interest?

BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

I will definitely look into it especially since I just moved to a new district. I was hoping to kill two birds with one stone but either way my son looks forward to the drafting course since he is looking toward engineering as a career.

Those are SUPER classes for him to take, since he is moving in that direction. Even though they don't count as Fine Arts, they will be a big asset to him for applying to college. :) If you can, you might try and work a few more of those types of classes into his Electives for this year and next! :) BEST of luck! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Those are SUPER classes for him to take, since he is moving in that direction. Even though they don't count as Fine Arts, they will be a big asset to him for applying to college. :) If you can, you might try and work a few more of those types of classes into his Electives for this year and next! :) BEST of luck! Warmest regards, Lori D.

I found that course from another WTMer. Would you have any more ideas of sites or books or courses that

he could take to help him along? :huh:

I found that course from another WTMer. Would you have any more ideas of sites or books or courses that

he could take to help him along? :huh:

I know NY is really picky about homeschoolers, community colleges, and dual enrollment, but that is a good option in some areas. Our Community College offers an Associate's degree in CAD that includes courses in topics such as:

- Computer Aided Drafting

- Technical Drafting

- Electro-Mechanical Drafting & Design

- Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing

- Parametric Modeling

- CAD for Construction

- Residential CAD & Design

- Commercial Drafting & Design

- Drafting & Design for Land Development

- Drafting & Design for Sustainability

- Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing Drafting & Design

- Transportation Design

- Integrated Circuit Layout Design

- Physics for Technology

- courses in specific CAD and Drafting softwares: Creo, MicroStation, Revit, Solidworks, Inventor

So, even if you are not permitted to do more courses through dual enrollment, you could search for online courses based on some of the above courses for ideas, especially focusing on speciality areas of special interest to your DS. :)

You can access the fine arts syllabi that NY state uses here: http://www.p12.nysed.gov/ciai/pub/artscatalogpg.html

I was going to look at a few but my connection is crappy and it tells me it'll take 16 minutes to download, but even if you don't use them, this will give you some ideas as to how the PS students satisfy this requirement.

Thank you, Kiana. This will definitely give me some idea of the requirements.

NY does allow homeschooled students to DE. Some of its colleges dont. Check out the SUNY Ulster website Early College Program, for ex . They are explicit in stating that a homeschooled student can take courses on their campus if its worked into an approved IHIP. Check with your local college to see what they are doing this year.

I will talk to the district that I am currently in and talk to the colleges but I was told

multiple times that NYS does not allow dual enrollment. If that was the case then

I would have put him in extra classes before now. Unless by dual enrollment you mean

in home school and in college and they meant in home school and in high school???

Maybe all the people from my old district were incorrect. :confused1:

Not much help with the dual enroll or what is or isn't fine arts, but another class that would be useful in the STEM fields especially engineering is a programming language.  I had to do a semester of Fortran years ago and don't know if that is one that colleges still teach at this point but Basic or C or something along those lines would be helpful as well.  One of the things that I never had the time while working to learn was how to program excel sheets and databases.  I have seen some amazing things that make jobs much easier developed by engineers knowing much more of the programming than I did.  My dh has done some helpful stuff with developing databases as well.   Just wanted to let you know the people I have seen put some great stuff together were mechanical, electrical, civil, etc engineers not those specializing in computer science or the like.

• 2 weeks later...

Alas, I must be the bearer of bad news. Answers to your questions:

#1 = no

#2 = no

Fine Arts credits are either "appreciation" courses, or creation of art, or performance. Drafting is an Engineering or Technical or CTE (Computer & Technical Education) credit. CAD is a Computer credit or a CTE credit. So Drafting and CAD would both fall under the Electives category, not Fine Arts. Here are examples of Fine Arts credits to help you plan:

And as usual, Lori, you just answered a question so thoroughly that even folks who didn't ask it learned something new!  I have a son who took a year of AutoCAD last year, and another semester specific to advanced 3D CAD design which he is completing now, and I was uncertain how to classify it.  Thanks for the help!!

... I have a son who took a year of AutoCAD last year, and another semester specific to advanced 3D CAD design which he is completing now, and I was uncertain how to classify it.

Hi Cyndi! :)

Esp. if a student has several Elective credits of a similar type, you can also get more specific, with either a separate subject heading, or a subheading under the Electives (or Fine Arts, etc.). So for your DS's CAD classes, and esp. if he takes any additional courses in that area you might go with something like this on the transcript:

ELECTIVES

course .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   . credit .   .   .   . grade

Computer Aided Drafting

Auto CAD* .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .  1.00 .   .   .  x

Advanced 3D CAD Design*   .  0.50 .   .   .  x 

* = course taken at ____________________ as dual enrollment

And of course, if taken through not at home (ex: community college or technical college), be sure to indicate that, same as with online classes, etc. :)