Menu

Healthier option for shampoo/conditioner?

hollyh

I'm on the search for healthier shampoo/conditioners for our family.  There are 5 girls here - all with long hair…  We go through a lot and the conditioner really needs to work at detangling.  I have been looking at EWG's product guide but don't' recognize any of the "safer" ones.   Can anyone suggest some that you use, and hopefully the least expensive place you get it from!!  Thank you!

Giovanni usually has some decent options and I find they work pretty well. Target and grocery stores like Giant in my area sometimes carry that brand. We usually purchase through a Frontier buying co-op, as it is a buck or two cheaper per bottle.

Whole Foods usually carries it too.

I also like ShiKai shampoo, which can be purchased through Amazon or Whole Foods in my area.  Again, I usually buy from Frontier.

Giovanni usually has some decent options and I find they work pretty well. Target and grocery stores like Giant in my area sometimes carry that brand. We usually purchase through a Frontier buying co-op, as it is a buck or two cheaper per bottle.

Whole Foods usually carries it too.

I also like ShiKai shampoo, which can be purchased through Amazon or Whole Foods in my area. Again, I usually buy from Frontier.

Yes! I love Giovanni stuff!! And I love the Citrus smell!

I have really long and thick hair, so I needed good conditioner too- and Giovanni's is wonderful.

I purchase mine on Subscribe & Save at Amazon, which is the cheapest I can get. They also sell it at Target and Wegmans.

I also love their face wash and scrub that had volcanic ash in it :)

We use Giovanni too.  As others suggested, shampoo only the scalp which cuts down on the amount of shampoo needed.  Then only condition the ends (not-scalp) parts which also cuts down on conditioner.  Check around for natural food stores or co-ops in your area that sell these in bulk.  You bring your own container and refill.  It is about half the cost.  In the summer, we only use apple cider vinegar (1 part ACV to 10 parts water) for conditioner which is obviously far cheaper.  It does not leave your hair as "slick" feeling afterwards but is just as detangled. I have used it for years with my very long and fine hair.  It works equally well with dc's also-fine but curly hair.  It does not work as well in winter when we are constantly in the drying forced-air heat.  We switch to the conditioner during winter.

I have been working on using safer products also.  Shampoo is a hard one.  When I was going for EWG 2 and below, I used Beauty Without Cruelty, Andalou, Sonoma and a few others from Frontier Coop.  But I don't think any of those are cheap.  Now that I am trying for everything 0, I had to change shampoos.  I am using a shampoo bar from Chagrin Valley.  I didn't think I would like a shampoo bar, but I do.  They have some conditioning bars.  I ordered one but haven't tried it.  I don't use conditioner like a used to use it with shampoo. 

Of all the conditioners we have tried, Finesse is the one that detangles hair the best. If you want to save $, rub a tiny amount of conditioner between your hands and run through wet, clean hair - do not rinse out. This accomplishes about the same thing as using a lot of conditioner and rinsing it out.